sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
User avatar
sNc
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:39 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2009/2010 Feb

Post by sNc » Sun 19th Mar 2017 10:34 am

ed the head wrote:
Sun 19th Mar 2017 09:58 am
sNc wrote:
Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm
Day3
Another wake and bake (again I'm up before everyone else😂)
8) oh yeah
sNc wrote:
Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm
So it's a bus to Leiden and a train to Haarlem.
We arrive and walk out of the station I wasn't sure what to expect but it felt quite underwhelming with a bus station opposite the train station building.

I refer to my ACD notes of streets and CS (absolute lifesaver back then) we bumble around finding most shops were closed at the time we were there, we are both disappointed but my friend decides to bring out the negative vibes so I try and block him out not wanting to spoil the experience.
Thanks for this, it brings back good memories for my first trip to Leiden. I usually travel to Amsterdam solo, this time was a trip with my wife to her cousin's house in Leiden. Usually my first stop is a coffeeshop, this time we spent a full day sightseeing all of Leiden's highlights. It's a beautiful city with a lot of interesting history. We were relaxing in a bar when around 4:30 her husband asked if there was anything else he could show me in Leiden so I quickly responded 'Coffeeshop please'. I too, was :shock: shocked and dismayed to learn they didn't open until 5 PM!. I acclimated and managed after that but it was a great eye opening experience. I will be seeing them on my next trip for a Saturday dinner and Sunday at Keukenhof this year, can't wait but I have to remember to arrive with provisions :D
sNc wrote:
Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm

We climb the death ladder(stairs) up to the bud tenders bar ...
great image
sNc wrote:
Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm
We're both ready to move on but my friend out of nowhere wakes from his mute presence and starts moaning about wanting a "Proper English breakfast" again (give me strength!)

We go in search of a "Proper English"... I try taking him to Greenhouse Lounge but after getting a table he decides he doesn't want to pay the price...we move back into the street on our search and he continues to mutter his disbelief of prices and lack of English breakfast.

We stumble across the Bulldog energy shop..crazy decor and surroundings and erm choice music...I stupidly choose the Super Lemon Haze and pay a ridiculous amount for it...we grab a weird tall table with a type of partial leaning stool/fixed seating and try to get comfortable.


Image

This place is very busy...I make my joint of SLH and I'm taken back by the energetic buzz hit from it...I raise it in the air with my arm pumping in appreciation along to the crazy dance music.

It's getting late and my friend starts to complain so we head back for Centraal to move towards Leiden again ready to go back to the hostel.


The BD Energy Shop and Lounge, that's my joint! I usually drinks at the Energy Shop, agreed better cannabis values exist elsewhere. Also, inside it is often crowded, then hopefully outside is nice enough to enjoy. Nothing better than to sit there and people watch and have one of their staff bring you a E1.5 water every hour or so. English Breakfast? You could have went next door to the BD Lounge where it's on the menu. I also agree Amsterdam prices can be a :shock: shock but this can be found for around E10.
My friend wasn't prepared to pay more than €7 for breakfast...this added difficulty!

LLMReb
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat 5th Mar 2016 04:09 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2009/2010 Feb

Post by LLMReb » Sun 19th Mar 2017 01:49 pm

Great read, sCn. Wish i knew you were in Leiden. The Indo food there at Sumatra is the best! Leiden Loop is an enjoyable stroll, too. Beautiful town with great University and picturesque windmills.

Bummer about your companion. It is a real challenge to find even an adequate travel companion. It is a near impossibility to find a compatible companion, and the one time I found a compatible companion, I married her!

Nevertheless, you have great memories and a great writing style. Excellent read. Next time I highly recommend solo and stay in AMS.

35 more days until I fly over! I hope to see your continued contributions to the board.

MJ420
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue 24th Jan 2017 11:22 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2009/2010 Feb

Post by MJ420 » Sun 19th Mar 2017 01:52 pm

Great report. Sorry your friend didn't have a good time.

User avatar
sNc
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:39 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2009/2010 Feb

Post by sNc » Sun 19th Mar 2017 02:27 pm

LLMReb wrote:
Sun 19th Mar 2017 01:49 pm
Great read, sCn. Wish i knew you were in Leiden. The Indo food there at Sumatra is the best! Leiden Loop is an enjoyable stroll, too. Beautiful town with great University and picturesque windmills.

Bummer about your companion. It is a real challenge to find even an adequate travel companion. It is a near impossibility to find a compatible companion, and the one time I found a compatible companion, I married her!

Nevertheless, you have great memories and a great writing style. Excellent read. Next time I highly recommend solo and stay in AMS.

35 more days until I fly over! I hope to see your continued contributions to the board.
Thank you for the kind words, truly flattered.

My 2nd trip solo report has started on this board now so you can check it out if you like.. I have another solo report to add and then a recent (Jan2017) trip report with my gf still to come

User avatar
sNc
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:39 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2009/2010 Feb

Post by sNc » Sun 19th Mar 2017 02:29 pm

MJ420 wrote:
Sun 19th Mar 2017 01:52 pm
Great report. Sorry your friend didn't have a good time.
Thanks👊

User avatar
cornish pixie
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed 9th Jun 2010 01:02 pm
Location: Cornwall u.k.

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

Post by cornish pixie » Mon 20th Mar 2017 06:37 pm

'partakes in the fine art of flower consumption' This made me chuckle. Nice report mate. How come it took so long ? lol
"If you can, then do "

User avatar
sNc
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:39 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

Post by sNc » Mon 20th Mar 2017 06:45 pm

cornish pixie wrote:
Mon 20th Mar 2017 06:37 pm
'partakes in the fine art of flower consumption' This made me chuckle. Nice report mate. How come it took so long ? lol
Thanks! I've used the site for info since that first trip (2010) but never paid notice to the forum to be honest!

I picked up on it through coffeeshopmenus.org and decided to join....after reading the many other travelogue entries I felt inspired...I felt I had some good experiences to share...Also I wanted to practice before my April trip for a travelogue on the go!

The sites (including coffeeshopsmenu.org) have provided me with a lot of assistance and I like to give back where possible.

User avatar
free_phil_spector
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon 4th Jun 2012 09:50 pm

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

Post by free_phil_spector » Mon 20th Mar 2017 09:09 pm

When I first started reading this I felt convinced your mate was sulking cos you spent the first two days 'not in' Amsterdam. Then you went to Amsterdam and he still grizzled so I figured he's not that much of a stoner and would rather be doing the sights. Then he shat out when you offered to split and do your own thing, so I reckon he's just a twat. Presumably you've sacked him off since - did you ever find out what his 'problem' was? There's surely an epilogue to this story :mrgreen:
Now that you're here, tell me you're a non-believer...

User avatar
sNc
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:39 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

Post by sNc » Mon 20th Mar 2017 10:23 pm

free_phil_spector wrote:
Mon 20th Mar 2017 09:09 pm
When I first started reading this I felt convinced your mate was sulking cos you spent the first two days 'not in' Amsterdam. Then you went to Amsterdam and he still grizzled so I figured he's not that much of a stoner and would rather be doing the sights. Then he shat out when you offered to split and do your own thing, so I reckon he's just a twat. Presumably you've sacked him off since - did you ever find out what his 'problem' was? There's surely an epilogue to this story :mrgreen:
As said he was a work colleague and we weren't actually close in anyway, we just shared an interest and I made a mistake inviting him! On our return to work he still continued to moan and I shared with his boss (who I was friendly with) that he was a complete nightmare.

It seems that he was a bit of a troubled fellow and struggled with many things in his day to day life (selling his games console to a pawn broker every couple of months and buying it back and repeating the process whilst also not paying his rent)

I had to ask him to sort out his personal hygiene on many occaisions on our trip....he still owes me money to this day😂

I've not spoken to him in many years and when i do see him in the street he avoids me sharpish!

User avatar
free_phil_spector
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon 4th Jun 2012 09:50 pm

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

Post by free_phil_spector » Tue 21st Mar 2017 12:22 am

sNc wrote:
Mon 20th Mar 2017 10:23 pm
As said he was a work colleague and we weren't actually close in anyway, we just shared an interest and I made a mistake inviting him! On our return to work he still continued to moan and I shared with his boss (who I was friendly with) that he was a complete nightmare.
The first time I went to Amsterdam twenty years ago was similar circumstances - a work colleague who I sometimes smoked with suggested it and we went. Despite ups and downs over the years, he and I remain friends to this day :shock: 8)

sNc wrote:
Mon 20th Mar 2017 10:23 pm
I had to ask him to sort out his personal hygiene on many occaisions on our trip
I have two friends who I've learned over the years to avoid sharing hotel rooms with due to their titanic snoring abilities
Now that you're here, tell me you're a non-believer...

Jesscass
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri 20th Mar 2009 09:33 am
Location: Planet earth I think

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

Post by Jesscass » Tue 21st Mar 2017 06:22 pm

Quality report, sNc, thank you a lot! Even is enjoyable after all those years ; those very years were a turning point qualitywise at coffeeshops and you should consider yourself lucky you were introduced to coffeeshop culture during the better days(after that: downhill).
By the way remember Sensi Star being around more at that time too, e.g. at Hunters back then(never been often but I like that type of strong stuff).
Like other said bummer about your partner in crime ; comes across like the stereotype couchlocked stoner sitting at home doing the same stuff over and over again since ages and rarely can handle new situations well, wonder why he went with you and what he did expect, too(obviously food like at home).
Next time choose wisely! Enjoy your upcoming trip, especially The Hague(you're on the right track there ; nothing to add)!

User avatar
sNc
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:39 am

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2010 Feb COMPLETED

Post by sNc » Tue 21st Mar 2017 10:27 pm

Jesscass wrote:
Tue 21st Mar 2017 06:22 pm
Quality report, sNc, thank you a lot! Even is enjoyable after all those years ; those very years were a turning point qualitywise at coffeeshops and you should consider yourself lucky you were introduced to coffeeshop culture during the better days(after that: downhill).
By the way remember Sensi Star being around more at that time too, e.g. at Hunters back then(never been often but I like that type of strong stuff).
Like other said bummer about your partner in crime ; comes across like the stereotype couchlocked stoner sitting at home doing the same stuff over and over again since ages and rarely can handle new situations well, wonder why he went with you and what he did expect, too(obviously food like at home).
Next time choose wisely! Enjoy your upcoming trip, especially The Hague(you're on the right track there ; nothing to add)!
Thanks! Glad it brought some enjoyment!
My 2nd trip report is currently in progess and in this section (just have the final day to complete)

I returned again in 2011(another trip report to follow also) but then didnt get back again until January of this year! Obviously a lot has changed between that time and this will be clear through the reports and experiences.
Watch this space!

Post Reply

Return to “Travelogues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests