Episode VII - the fiets awakens

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
OneHighMofo

Episode VII - the fiets awakens

Post by OneHighMofo »

Oh boy it's early. I find myself on the red-eye wearing that same old smirk again. I am more than a little bit crispy afforded by a fat bat of Rainbow Jones enjoyed just outside the station and the Gorilla Glue bongs I had before leaving.

Rather unfortunately I'm suffering with a cold this week and have been worried that my tastebuds might not be capable of the task at hand but the RJ doob goes down a treat. Lovely grape soda velvet crush with a hint of Hindu Kush. Beautiful - a supremely smooth finish, this lady has been underfed all the way and has benefitted from a good two week flush. Tasty.
Making a mental note of what top shelf actually tastes and feels like - it's off we go.

Oh! Before I forget. Here's a couple of snaps of some Lemon skunk (right) and strawberry cheesecake that the homie brought through. Still fresh from the dry-box the nose is better than the taste right now but a couple weeks will help, and a couple months work wonders. There are some lovely skunky notes in the former; with a surprisingly rounded lemon peel finish. Not too sharp - there are deeper husky tones to be found in her depths. A greenhouse number I'm told. Huh.

The strawberry cheescake is an old school mix; Chronic x widow x exodus cheese. There are two pheno's to try, pictured is the strawberry leaning sister. Lovely tight little trees with a complex nose encompassing strawberry citrus, herbal spice and an almost Haze like sherbet top end. Consigned to a cure jar - this will be a lovely present for my return.

Sleep wasn't easy tonight - gonna miss the missus and the mutt, the cat and the rats like mad but excitement is setting in now alongside my weary tired head and lovely rosy glow. Shuteye methinks. Amsterdam awaits! Voyagers will be open by the time I arrive, choppermike and Nathan420stoner are in town. DLN16 and I have a little shopping to do - good times ACD - here we go again!

*edit*
Well - everyday is a school day.

As it turns out - that swab thing they do at customs when your bag is full of bongs and other obvious stoner paraphernalia ISN'T looking for drugs! Straight from the horses mouth - it's specifically for explosives. Phew! I quipped as he gave my vape a good going over. Happy days - a short re-pack later and I'm through into the departure lounge with a coffee.

The only down sides were having to check my cabin bag due to the laser on the IR thermometer, hand clamp and dabbers. Oh well - hopefully the bongs will survive being 'handled' by manchesters finest. I'll not hold my breath!

Getting absolutely bummed at the bureau de change was something of a surprise too - practically one to one exchange rate on the pound. Thanks brexiteers. Good one. Brilliantly thought through. Thanks a fucking bunch. Remind me not to pass my now even more expensive joints your way.

And with that...
Onward!
Last edited by OneHighMofo on Fri 30th Sep 2016 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nuggz

Re: Episode VII - last of the summer (hopeful, working title)

Post by Nuggz »

One volcano bowl, a cheeky little bong snap, a brisk cycle to work and a day at the office until we are reunited!!!
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

DeLeuksteNUGS16 wrote:One volcano bowl, a cheeky little bong snap, a brisk cycle to work and a day at the office until we are reunited!!!

Have a good day brother - we shall await your arrival with bated breath and loaded bowls. Have you cleaned that bong yet? ;)
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

OneHighMofo wrote:Getting absolutely bummed at the bureau de change was something of a surprise too - practically one to one exchange rate on the pound. Thanks brexiteers. Good one. Brilliantly thought through. Thanks a fucking bunch. Remind me not to pass my now even more expensive joints your way.
http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/ is your friend. Though it can't quite undo the damage of the knuckledraggers.

Looking forward to the report, particularly if you end up trying the DrG in Paradox.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

This entry has the makings of a great thread! Looking forward to it!
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

THE FIETS AWAKENS
nathan420stoner

Post by nathan420stoner »

Save flight mate :D
Weemanio

Post by Weemanio »

Keep it coming!! Lol
OneHighMofo

Re: Episode VII - the fiets awakens

Post by OneHighMofo »

Day 1

Conditions on the ground are well - amazing to say the least. It's nearly October and the sun is blazing down on Amsterdam. I'm so happy to be here that I figure I can wait for a first smoke and decide to grab my steed for the week.

Unfortunately my phone is doing the customary fuck me about for an internet connection so I totally lose my way and end up exasperated in the scorching heat.

Fuck this for a game of soldiers. Voyagers is in plain site. I find Mike waiting at the counter. It's great to see him - suddenly everything feels familiar as we settle into our catch up. The menu looks great; I've never seen shoreline here before. Highly Blessed is surprised at my surprise assuring me that it's everywhere round town at the moment. I decide to pass as she's a very familiar friend to me and it looks like the grower has had a spot of bother with this one. She's airy and elongated which from experience doesn't bode well for potency. She's a girl that always delivers on taste but can be a bit in the weaker side for the experienced and I'm looking to get baked right now.

I take the OG option instead opting for a sure-fire heavy-hitter. Both the Crocketts Dawg and Notorious OG are loud on the nose and sparkling. They share very close heritage but these two examples are worlds apart in terms of flavour. I can pick out the signature Hindu kush and Chemdawg parentage in both but it's the additions that bring the interest.

I also grab a bag of the sleestack - a strain from my todo list for a while. I smash the gram into a paper. The lineage is Martian mean green x G13 x shrom and this example is heavy on the lime and citric apple vibes from the MMG. There's a strong almost sour hashy edge brought by the G13. Excellent texture - sticky and sweet.
8.0 holy shit what a start.

The Crockets dawg is familiar ground for an OG derivative. The tresdawg (chemdawg back-cross) in the mix brings a familiar piney sour fruit middle. There are flavours I find impossible to pin down however - fruity, light, red berries perhaps? Citrus - yes. Rounded though - perhaps more grapefruit than lemon? - it needs more testing as I've only Vaped a .25 so far.

The Notorious OG - a phenofinders home-spun creation is banging. Absolutely banging. Some lovely liquorice, sandy sour bass notes are lifted by the Himalayan spice. I Vaped a couple of bowls of this lady too. Ratings on these purchases will come later when I've had chance to savour them again.

Mike kindly offers to head over to starbikes with me so I grab a cheeky gram of the sour walker and wrap the lot for a fattie to walk across with.

Sour walker €15
Had all sorts of fruity flavours under the OG middle ground. Top notes of sugary haze and subtle hints of floral blue fruit. Very interesting indeed. Good finishing as ever and a decent flavour but not as exciting as the other bits.
7.8 - someone will love her

It's a beautiful walk across the river and the starbikes staff are great. I end up with a straight bar hybrid but that's fine as it's geometry I'm used to. A whirl around on the pavement outside and a quick seat adjustment and I'm good to go.

The impairment in riding isn't the 2.5 gram intake in the hour since arrival - oh no no no. It's more the huge and heavy bag on my back laden with the OHMF future stoner circus. I resolve to plunge across town to vondel park and dump this bitch. Mike is up for the ride too.

Life is suddenly even more amazing than before. Resplendent on my two wheeled beast I am suddenly struck by the empowerment brought about by being on a bike. Cyclists command respect from traffic in the dam and the new found freedom is liberating. Cars wait, pedestrians move. Fan-fucking-tastic. We cruise along to Albert Hein behind Centraal for some healthy salads and eat them by the water.
We both have ready rolled joints so blazing another before heading off seems the right thing to do. The day is getting hotter by the second.

Giggling like loons we mount our steeds and head for Paradox - it's on the way south and comrade mike wants edibles. As we head off me laddo quips that he 'needs to hold on to his spork' which strikes me as deadly funny. Typing it now doesn't have the same effect. Hmmmm.

In just five minutes we're hoping off at Paradox, just enough time to have a green tea and a quick smoke.

I continue the OG themed day and grab a small bag of Chem Dawg. €5 for .4 and put the lot through the vape as we chat. It's ok. Signature notes of gasoline and pine lemon pledge are there. It's a bit airy in structure which tells me this lady isn't quite up to scratch as done well she's dripping fat dense trees all the way.

Mike bought the grinspoon for €12 p/g which is fantastic money for this 18 week lady. We vaped a little and she was surprisingly fruity. Aniseed and woody creaminess akin to a nutty ice cream. With a cut through high that sharpens the senses to perfection she's perhaps the best grinspoon I've ever had. Certainly the tastiest. Certainly the cheapest.

Onwards then. Time to check in
The hotel Quentin England is on a quiet street over the Vondel park. The rooms are reasonably sized and clean. Power shower in the wet room and a lovely nice large window with a view of the terrace gardens. It will make a great base.

Once that palaver is out of the way mike and I cruise on over to Easy Times as I've been hearing good things about their menu.

Unfortunately the trays are looking a touch sad and I'm hugely underwhelmed by everything at the top end of the menu.

I turn my nose up at just about everything they offer, finally plumping for a bag of strawberry haze at €14 because it smells great.

Turns out it's not great. It tastes of niether strawberries nor haze. Wank. Harsh too.
6.9 not good enough.

Mike takes a look at the menu and grabs a g of white widow at 8.50. The tray is full of decent buds that are obviously being overlooked for trendier strains but the nose is as good as anything for €15/16. He reportedly enjoys the bag too. Go figure.

The sunshine beckons abs I've arranged to meet Deleuks at 4:00 sharp so we can go see a man about a god (ha autocorrect - gonna go with that one). so mike and I head north via Dampkring in the Spui.

We're just arseing about like school kids giggling at a couple of Germans pushing a once wind-up powered (now generator powered) organ when the homie calls to say 'where the fuck are you it's 4:20'. I'm like 'whoah' and he's like 'duuuude'. And I'm like 'sorry bruuh my clock hasn't like - changed - you know?'. Anyway we all blaze - because you know. 4:20?

Actually he calls me a cunt (of course - one day he'll actually be able to put the requisite venom behind the word and won't sound like such a doofus) and we agree to meet on kloveniersburgval. Mike heads off at this point to the Dampkring and we resolve to find him later on.

It's great to see the little American monkey. He still has his hipster beard and looks more like a young Abe Lincoln every time I see him.
We have an awesome cycle out to the burbs; banter all the way - meet our contact, hang out there for a while then all three of us head back to town to sesh. I procure:

5g G13
2.5g LA kush
2.5g LA fire
2g Strawberry banana

And we arrange to meet the BHO man later on. Now we've got a stash and rumbling bellies. There's only thing for it. Batavia for session with full crew, mike and his boy.
Mr BHO arrives soon enough and the dab train finally pulls away from the station.

It's a great session. I ducking love Batavia. Great staff, good inexpensive food and no hassle. What a cracking establishment. You'll bump into every bud tender in town here at some point.

By now it's getting late - 11pm comes round and everyone is tired and smashed. I've done in a good quarter ounce and loads of dabs so it's time for an amazing late night cycle south. Absolutely crispy as a motherfucker pounding down the Rozengracht, Raadhistraat, left after Marxinstraat and all the way over to leidsplein where I hook a right towards the Vondel park.
I'm a keen cyclist at home but rarely do I cycle this high. Great fun flying down empty grachts and getting a tiny bit of air from the speed humps I feel like a teenager despite middle age. God damn I love this town and all she has to offer. I'm buzzing sat here on my return flight just thinking about that journey.

I consider De Graal for nightcap but I have a 5g bag of G13 that's got my mini Rosin factories name on it.
Once back I have a shower and spend an hour squishing out the remaining flowers (might have Vaped some back at Batavia) while I dab on the Ambrosia stardawg OG BHO. I get about .6 or .7 of a gram which is a great return for the €35 I paid for the bag.

Amsterdam - why are you always so good to me? What a day. Sleep.
Last edited by OneHighMofo on Sun 2nd Oct 2016 01:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Excellent read so far, Mr.MoFo... Probably one of the most detailed and amusing single day reviews i've ever read...

...have to agree with the lovely, humongous windows at the Quentin Engeland(or however they spell it on the front)... Spent several days leaning out of those huge swingy windows; vigorously fanning my smoke into the evening air.... Ahh, memories.

Looking forwards to the next instalment!

Cheers!! :thumbup:
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

sick thread title bro! Keep it coming! :mrgreen:
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

OneHighMofo wrote:Mike bought the grinspoon for €12 p/g which is fantastic money for this 18 week lady. We vaped a little and she was surprisingly fruity. Aniseed and woody creaminess akin to a nutty ice cream. With a cut through high that sharpens the senses to perfection she's perhaps the best grinspoon I've ever had. Certainly the tastiest. Certainly the cheapest.
Either I was unlucky (picked some up a couple of days later) or opinions differ drastically. I've got over my paranoia that it's mouldy, but the extra taste to me is musty rather than pleasant (don't really get much taste at all from this as a rule). It's strong, but is it as strong as Katsu's? Dunno. Agree about the Sleestack, as I've said elsewhere.

The first time I dared to cycle was amazing. I'd assumed because London was unpleasant as a pedestrian and hell on a bike, the same would apply to Amsterdam, in spades, and I wouldn't risk it sober, let alone in standard Mokum state. But it's completely different.

Looking forward to the next instalment. Fiets do your stuff.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote:Either I was unlucky (picked some up a couple of days later) or opinions differ drastically.
Perhaps - unfortunately; both? Flowers from different parts of the plant can taste radically different in my experience.
Plus - I only vaped her through the mighty so can't be sure she didn't have a different character when burnt.
There was definitely flavour that I'd not experienced in Dr G before. Welcome flavour at that as I totally agree with you she can be a bit nondescript which is why I don't generally buy her (and the price tag of course)
johnnygiovanni

Post by johnnygiovanni »

Great start!! I have the suspect that the one and only comrade here is you OHMF!!
Big thanks for sharing again!! :D
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

johnnygiovanni wrote:Great start!! I have the suspect that the one and only comrade here is you OHMF!!
Big thanks for sharing again!! :D
Ha! Are you suggesting that Choppermike is a figment of my imagination? :D
Perhaps he is!