1st Trip 2010 Feb

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Kenshiro

1st Trip 2010 Feb

Post by Kenshiro »

So after much consideration, juices flowing from reading everyone elses great entries and in preparation of my next trip where I wish to complete a travelogue on the move, I thought I would write up my first ever trip to the Netherlands.

Please excuse the photo quality as this was some time ago all taken on a BlackBerry phone camera.(also excuse my punctuation and grammar I'm an uneducated fool)

It's winter/springtime and I'm itching to make my first visit of the smoking Mecca for most Europeans!

Most of my friends have been multiple times and the continued rumours of tourists being banned from consuming in the Netherlands and Amsterdam has made me even more determined to visit "before it's too late".

I'm nervous to go alone and think it would be great to share the experience with someone else, I ask some of my friends that have been many times but they all fail to commit.

Then I have a lightbulb moment and consider a work colleague that I know partakes in the fine art of flower consumption.
He is well up for it so ahead I go and start planning the trip and book flights for the end of February.

I plan the trip the best I can and after speaking with my friends I decide to book our hostel in Noordwijk (my friend booked here by mistake when trying to book into Amsterdam but explains it's a short train journey away) it's considerably cheaper and I like what I've heard about it and that its on the beach (yes i know it's February!).

Day1
Off we go! We're on the flight and ready to burn, although we felt a little nervous after seeing the plane for the first time...it's a small Fokker75 city hopper with engines mounted on the tail sectionπŸ˜₯

Onboard the flight attendant offers us some refreshments..being the uncultured beasts we were and only used to flying with budget airlines we decline, then the gentleman behind us orders a red wine and doesnt pay?
We thought "hang on let's have some of that!" and quickly call her back for our free sandwich and drinkπŸ˜‚

The excitement is setting in we are only a few minutes from landing and I've got my notes and printed ACD map ready for the coming days.

We land at Schiphol blown away by the quality of this airport and it's layout with strong transport connections...onto the metro to get ourselves to Leiden on route to Noordwijk...

The train takes longer than expected but soon we arrive at Leiden Centraal, it's just after 3pm and during this time I'm aware the CS don't open til 4pm so we have a little stroll around the city centre. We then stumble across a large queue of people spanning about 20metres or more outside a shop, It's Double AA!

We join the queue and I'm stood there with a mix of emotions, I'm feeling great that I'm able to make this tolerated purchase of herbs and this should be the norm everywhere but it also feels slightly sureal...

The doors open and it takes about 15mins or more for us to reach the counter, the whole time while we wait our turn I notice no one is smoking inside and people are buying, rolling then leaving...I'm confused and was not aware of this thinking "where are we going to smoke, I thought you could smoke in all CS?"...
Anyway my time has come to make my first purchase of herbs over the counter in a shop...

It feels strange and amazing all at the same time! I scan the menu, at this time I'm a major Indica smoker and opt for the lovely looking and smelling Sensi Star "5grams of that please" the budtender offers me a free pack of smoking papers and I happily accept (this felt like a great touch at the time that I didn't expect)

Theres a small table where you can roll so we do exactly that and then leave the shop, now confused as to what to do and unsure if we can smoke on the street?
We feel nervous and a bit at a loss...looking across the street we see another shop "Paradise Coffeeshop" we can see people smoking inside so we figure we'll go in there buy something and take a seat to enjoy our purchases.

As we enter the shop all eyes are on us, this feels really strange we are obviously total outsiders in the middle of a local shop filled with Morrocan clientele, we approach the bar and ask to look at some bud and hash, it's all prebagged and doesn't look amazing but I go for some Northern Lights as I haven't had some in a longtime. Image
I suspect this was outdoor grown but it was actually half decent.

We grab a table and start smoking our joints from our Double AA purchases...This feels great I'm chilling in an establishment enjoying some great herb which is absolute fire!
I get halfway through the joint and have to take a break this stuff is heavy hitting! I look across the table to my work colleague..he has completely shut down and is acting a bit strange and paranoid (I dont know him all that well so just figure the herbs have taken him by surprise).

Joints finished we decide to make a move to get to our hostel in Noordwijk, now it's time to experience the bus....we get on board and in my ignorance and lack of correct pronounciation I tell the driver we are going to "NoordWick"πŸ˜‚πŸ™ˆ after a few repetitions of mis pronouncing Noordwijk he understands and tells us he will give us a shout when we arrive at Parallel Boulevard.

The Journey takes about 20mins or so but the view out of the window is great loads of fields and typical Dutch houses all lit up with the curtains still open "showing their homes off"

We arrive at our destination I'm slightly surprised all I can see are 70's style apartments and a single road no sign of a beach?
It's dark at this point and I'm heavily stoned just wanting to set down and chill for the night, we arrive at our digs "The Flying Pig Beach Hostel" it's quite lively inside and we check in and go up to our room, we have a 4 bed dorm but it's just the two of us..result!

Bags dumped we head downstairs and are given a free beer! Nice touchπŸ‘Š after chatting with the staff we head for the smoking room, theres two tall tables with stools and a large, long and wide cushion/sofa daybed type seating..theres plenty of bodies in this small space and obviously popular with locals who are all occupying the tall tables.

We smoke and we chat with a few people and our strong flowers take us by surprise to an early bed..

To be continued...
Last edited by Kenshiro on Sun 17th Sep 2017 10:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.

ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2009/2010 Feb

Post by ed the head »

Great start!
He who tries to shine dims his own light
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

ed the head wrote: ↑Sat 18th Mar 2017 05:16 pm Great start!
Thanks! will try and finish it off tonight and improve my spacing/paragraphs (im doing this all on a mobile phone)
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Day2
It's up early for me and my friend hasn't sturred so I leave him to the slumber gods, I go downstairs with herbs close by, but discover the bar, kitchen, smoke room and main part of the building locked up..
No one is awake yet from the staff so I use the communal PC in the main hallway and roll a joint of the Sensi Star (man this stuff was epic )

I go for a quick walk to find the beach and enjoy my smoke...

It's pretty brisk outside but not so different to home, the air is fresh and crisp it's highlighting the flavours of this great strain.

I'm surprised by the endless stretch of the sandy beach and the lovely view of the dunes as far as the eye can see. (I think to myself this place must be buzzing in the summertime).

Walking back to the hostel, the joint is making my stomach grumble..the wake and bake now needs the breakfast to follow. It's back up to the room and I wake my friend, we head down for breakfast but the food isn't quite set up so we head straight into the smoking room ( round two for me😎)

My friend is almost mute with heavy hooded eyes and this was before his wake and bake!
We chat to the morning staff member and begin to sample the typical dutch breakfast....

My friend starts to moan in that stereotypical British holidaymaker way "where's the full English?!"

I thought "oh please no!" He seems to shrug it off and continues to select his food, we sit down with our included/free breakfast and he continues to moan within ear shot of the staff, I'm feeling really embarrassed and urked at this point questioning my choice of travel companion slightly..

We discuss what our plans are for the day and I suggest a trip to the local supermarket first so we can stock up on supplies as we have full use of the hostel kitchen until late....off to the supermarket we go....

Some things are easy to find others we are trying to decipher the Dutch translations, my friend begins to moan again about the food selection (I'm starting to really worry about my decision to bring him along now)
We manage to buy some supplies head back to hostel and put them away.

Further discussions on what we want to do start again we're both divided but both want to explore locally so we head back down the beach with a few doobs and take some pictures, there are many random sculptures dotted in the square and along the top of the dunes over looking the beach.

We head back to the hostel as the wind is just too much for too long combined with the cold.

Another smoke session ensues at the hostel smoking room and we get chatting to some longterm hostel residents/staff and there are a great mix of people here from all over the world,
I get chatting to a Canadian and a Swedish guy who are really friendly and a couple of Dutch locals..my friend has started falling into the abyss again not chatting or attempting to join in whatsoever? So I figure maybe he's just like that?

The day soon quickly turns to night..my stash is starting to run down but will be plenty until the next day... My friend goes to bed early almost in a bad mood but I leave him to it and just think he needs an early night.

I stay up as long as I can sharing stories and various strains, flowers and hashes with my new acquaintances....the couchlock is strong with the Sensi Star and find myself fighting the urge to slump on the cushions..time for the Northern Lights...that doesn't help much either so it's time to call it a night..off to bed I went.

To be continued
Last edited by Kenshiro on Sun 19th Mar 2017 01:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Day3
Another wake and bake (again I'm up before everyone elseπŸ˜‚)
Back to the beach for my morning stroll and smoke.

Breakfast gets demolished and we are ready to explore further out, We want to sample some of the stuff Haarlem has to offer too (after being advised it's a good spot)

So it's a bus to Leiden and a train to Haarlem.
We arrive and walk out of the station I wasn't sure what to expect but it felt quite underwhelming with a bus station opposite the train station building.

I refer to my ACD notes of streets and CS (absolute lifesaver back then) we bumble around finding most shops were closed at the time we were there, we are both disappointed but my friend decides to bring out the negative vibes so I try and block him out not wanting to spoil the experience.

We go into... I think it was Maximillian CS can't remember what I bought but recall the reception and service we recieved as "hostile".

We quickly moved on...back to the station area and decided to venture into Willie Wortels Sensimillia shop, strange set up with a booth and window at the door and a turnstile set up for entry, on the wall is a glass cabinet displaying various strains with prices and highlighting their 5bags for the price of 4 offer.

We show our passports and are buzzed through to the shop we look at some strains and I want a large deal but I'm mindful that we are going to move into Amsterdam so I grab a gram of Jack Herer

This stuff was beautiful I never wanted it to end and held on to it as long as possible.

Inside the shop I loved the decor, old transport seats, pool table, canvas pictures of beautiful buds everywhere.....we only chill for a little bit as we are getting glared at constantly by locals in the shop and it feels uncomfortable...my friend begins to moan again....

Amsterdam bound!
So we're back on the train heading for Amsterdam Centraal. Ready for the delights and crazyness.

I get out the front of the station and can't believe the scenery of bikes upon bikes, waterways, trams and people everywhere.

We head somewhat confused with ACD map towards the Centrum looking for shops on my list...first call Blues Brothers!

We climb the death ladder(stairs) up to the bud tenders bar and look over the oddly coloured paper menu which is poorly laminated.
After nosing a few strains I pass on the Sharksbreath (man that shit stank! Cant quite describe the smell and it looked blue in colour) I opted for the Hashplant Haze

This was a great choice highly satisfied with this purchase! ( I do miss Blues Brothers it wasn't a great venue but the location good and bud was always on point)

We decide on another mission after our joints heading in the direction of Haarlemmerstraat..was recommended by a friend to try out Popeyes for a certain strain....a short walk and we have arrived

The bud tender is a crazy guy offering us a go on his hookah but we decline...I'm here for one strain and one strain only...Pink Kush

I remember it was expensive as hell and had to buy it in 3g or more deal at the time..I was happy enough as had been told great things...we sit and smoke our selections...this Kush hits heavy indeed and tasted great and burned pretty well too (this wouldn't be the case on future visits).

We're both ready to move on but my friend out of nowhere wakes from his mute presence and starts moaning about wanting a "Proper English breakfast" again (give me strength!)

We go in search of a "Proper English"... I try taking him to Greenhouse Lounge but after getting a table he decides he doesn't want to pay the price...we move back into the street on our search and he continues to mutter his disbelief of prices and lack of English breakfast.

Finally he decides he wants to try this Argentinean steak house (oh dear!) I join him for said cheap option fry up breakfast...there is no-one in this restaurant (bad sign)
Food takes ages and we are served the most abysmal looking beans, sausages and something else.(my friend pretends to enjoy his choice of food and establishment but the look on his face is telling another storyπŸ˜‚)

It's time to bounce again and we head off towards the main centrum streets in search of Lost in Amsterdam lounge. We arrive and the window seat is available! πŸ‘ŠBoom!πŸ’¨πŸ’¨

We order some green teas and begin to roll and smoke our joints from our stash whilst people watching all the bodies walking down the street, its a great little spot for this activity and as first time tourists walk past then double back and stand with jaws open that you are just sat there enjoying your herbs! Some stop to take pictures and we pose and laugh and continue to chill. The staff start to get a little pushy with drinks after we've had 3 drinks each so we decide its time to move on.

We find ourselves in the RLD crazy place taking in all the sights..theres a small CS over one of the canals so we decide to take a look (Extase CS) strange seating but the bud looks good so we buy, I opt for Juice Fruit and its pretty damn good

Lots of Morrocan locals in this CS we start getting stuff shouted at us so we decide its time to leave before anything happens.

We stumble across the Bulldog energy shop..crazy decor and surroundings and erm choice music...I stupidly choose the Super Lemon Haze and pay a ridiculous amount for it...we grab a weird tall table with a type of partial leaning stool/fixed seating and try to get comfortable.

This place is very busy...I make my joint of SLH and I'm taken back by the energetic buzz hit from it...I raise it in the air with my arm pumping in appreciation along to the crazy dance music.

It's getting late and my friend starts to complain so we head back for Centraal to move towards Leiden again ready to go back to the hostel.

Before we reach Centraal my friend goes into negative mode again slagging off the whole day and how crap he thinks it has been, my blood is boiling by this point and I suggest to him that if he doesn't enjoy my guide abilities or if he wants to do his own thing he is quite welcome to, I continue to walk towards the station and he stays but then shouts at me to wait for him as he doesnt want to be on his own (I cant win!πŸ™ˆ)

We head back to Leiden get the bus again and back to the hostel, into the smoking room grab a beer and it's very awkward between us he isn't saying anything and I don't want to lose my cool so I try and speak to the other guys but still try to include him so it's less awkward and so that I'm not ignoring him.

He shuts down after a joint, he has nothing to ask anybody or even attempt to engage with other people (so frustrating!) He goes to bed and I stay and chat with the locals and the other two guys I've been getting along with...a long smoke session begins and I explain to a few locals that hash doesnt really affect me, they try and get me wasted but it doesnt work I hit joint after joint and a few bongs and I'm still perfectly fine all be it slightly higher!

The night has been really good and I've had some good company, I make plans to return for sure and speak with these guys again as they're out here for a long time. But will see them at breakfast

The bed calls and I'm off for a deep medicated sleep...

To be continued....
Last edited by Kenshiro on Sun 19th Mar 2017 02:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Fantastic stuff - I'm supposed to be packing boxes as I'm moving house but instead I'm enjoying your write up :)
I've only read the first part so far and shall look forward to the rest over a dab or ten later on.
Bravo :)
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

OneHighMofo wrote: ↑Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:35 pm Fantastic stuff - I'm supposed to be packing boxes as I'm moving house but instead I'm enjoying your write up :)
I've only read the first part so far and shall look forward to the rest over a dab or ten later on.
Bravo :)
Thanks i appreciate the feedback, it was an eventful first trip and the photos i have helped me remember some of the missing pieces, its incredibly hard to get all this down on the phone, and i should go back and correct my spelling and mistakes but im eager to get all the details down first and polish it up later...glad you enjoyed, only the last day to record now.
aVeryOldLady

Post by aVeryOldLady »

Great report so far! Sensi Star is a strain I've wanted to try for years. Unfortunately, I've never found it on a menu in Amsterdam.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

aVeryOldLady wrote: ↑Sun 19th Mar 2017 01:04 am Great report so far! Sensi Star is a strain I've wanted to try for years. Unfortunately, I've never found it on a menu in Amsterdam.
Thanks! I have more pictures to follow and last day(s) reports stil.
Sensi Star is still on the Double AA menu according to a friend, I've never seen it in Amsterdam myself either.
Kenshiro

Re: sNc's 1st Trip 2009/2010 Feb COMPLETE

Post by Kenshiro »

Day4

Slightly later rise for me this morning still up for a wake and bake though, but i don't have to venture to the beach...downstairs is open!
Friend still getting ready I head downstairs....

Grab a coffee and head straight in the smoking room for a morning joint, supplies are running low and I know all that's in my stopped-caring-let's-get baked! Itinerary today is take a walk around the town and grab some more herbs and enjoy the last day.

Breakfast is done, another joint and a walk around the town is in swing up the main street (there's a few shops, restaurant's and cafe's in this area along with a line of quite big hotels along the beachfront) There are various musuems and attractions in the area or close by via travel (Atlantik wall war bunker museum, Space Expo, kukenhof tulip gardens and of course many more places in Leiden) not that i saw any of themπŸ˜‚

After walking we return to the hostel, get our stuff together ready for tomorrows departure and chill out in the smoking room, my friend doesn't want to go to Leiden and still has plenty of product left, but I need to top up even if it's only for the evening...solo trip to Leiden it is!

Bus to Leiden for a buy and fly and then bus straight back... head for Double AA but on this occaison I decide to try the D.N.A (it's rated as stronger than Sensi Star on the menu).

Bus back to the hostel and I'm ready to blaze...The D.N.A is nice and strong but doesnt compare to Sensi Star in any department...lesson learned..ah well!

Bar and smoking room is busy tonight, there's a good vibe and plenty of the cool people about, friend goes to bed very early evening and he isn't seen for the rest of the nightπŸ˜‚

A huge smoke sesh gets underway, the Canadian, Swedish and Dutch locals I've been smoking with are all here..many joints are passed around although my Indica joints are frowned upon by the Canadian and Swedish Sativa guys haha.. We all got super high into the early hours and helped staff clean up before closing....up in bed I lay there thinking I need to get back here as soon as possible... then I pass out!

The Dreaded Departure Day..

Up early to eat breakfast but in the big smoke up last night I've only left myself one small joint for a wake and bake raaaaaaa😱

Joint rolled I consume the last Joint of D.N.A...(it's nothing to write home about and it's a sad way to bow out of the trip with something so disappointing compared to my beloved Sensi) Sitting there reflecting on the trip with a deep sadness that I have to leave shortly, my mind starts ticking over on devising a plan to return...soon

We say our goodbyes and I tell them I'll be back very soon!

We get to Leiden and my friend suggests we don't buy a train ticket as we haven't had our tickets checked since being here and we're heading straight to the airport anyway...I reluctantly agree and know that if we are caught there'll be a fine.

We jump on ready to get home now, we aren't that far away from Schiphol and a conducter asks for our tickets (Shiiiiit!)

I try to play dumb and explain that "I thought you bought tickets on the train?" 😁
It's not washing with her and we are immediatley served a fine which works out more expensive than both of our tickets combined in the first place!

To add further insult my friend has no money and I have to stump up the cash for us both..meh!

We arrive at the airport and instead of me thinking how great it's been I start feeling really annoyed by how much my travel companion has tainted the trip daily....I try to focus on returning soon and start looking at flights before boarding our plane home.

When we land a family member picks us up and the travel grinch is dropped off.. I feel a real mixed bag of feelings from the trip experience on the way home but the thought of going back asap is enough to know it wasn't a total bust.

Lessons learned, acquaintances made, great herbs consumed...I'll definitely be back.
1st Trip Completed
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

sNc wrote: ↑Sat 18th Mar 2017 06:29 pm Day2
My friend starts to moan in that stereotypical British holidaymaker way "where's the full English?!"

I thought "oh please no!" He seems to shrug it off and continues to select his food, we sit down with our included/free breakfast and he continues to moan within ear shot of the staff, I'm feeling really embarrassed and urked at this point questioning my choice of travel companion slightly..

Another smoke session ensues at the hostel smoking room and we get chatting to some longterm hostel residents/staff and there are a great mix of people here from all over the world,
I get chatting to a Canadian and a Swedish guy who are really friendly and a couple of Dutch locals..my friend has started falling into the abyss again not chatting or attempting to join in whatsoever? So I figure maybe he's just like that?

The day soon quickly turns to night..my stash is starting to run down but will be plenty until the next day... My friend goes to bed early almost in a bad mood but I leave him to it and just think he needs an early night.

Thanks again, really enjoying your report.

This part reminds me of the benefits of traveling to the Netherlands solo. :wink:
ed the head

Post by ed the head »

sNc wrote: ↑Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm Day3
Another wake and bake (again I'm up before everyone elseπŸ˜‚)
8) oh yeah
sNc wrote: ↑Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm So it's a bus to Leiden and a train to Haarlem.
We arrive and walk out of the station I wasn't sure what to expect but it felt quite underwhelming with a bus station opposite the train station building.

I refer to my ACD notes of streets and CS (absolute lifesaver back then) we bumble around finding most shops were closed at the time we were there, we are both disappointed but my friend decides to bring out the negative vibes so I try and block him out not wanting to spoil the experience.
Thanks for this, it brings back good memories for my first trip to Leiden. I usually travel to Amsterdam solo, this time was a trip with my wife to her cousin's house in Leiden. Usually my first stop is a coffeeshop, this time we spent a full day sightseeing all of Leiden's highlights. It's a beautiful city with a lot of interesting history. We were relaxing in a bar when around 4:30 her husband asked if there was anything else he could show me in Leiden so I quickly responded 'Coffeeshop please'. I too, was :shock: shocked and dismayed to learn they didn't open until 5 PM!. I acclimated and managed after that but it was a great eye opening experience. I will be seeing them on my next trip for a Saturday dinner and Sunday at Keukenhof this year, can't wait but I have to remember to arrive with provisions :D
sNc wrote: ↑Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm
We climb the death ladder(stairs) up to the bud tenders bar ...
great image
sNc wrote: ↑Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:26 pm We're both ready to move on but my friend out of nowhere wakes from his mute presence and starts moaning about wanting a "Proper English breakfast" again (give me strength!)

We go in search of a "Proper English"... I try taking him to Greenhouse Lounge but after getting a table he decides he doesn't want to pay the price...we move back into the street on our search and he continues to mutter his disbelief of prices and lack of English breakfast.

We stumble across the Bulldog energy shop..crazy decor and surroundings and erm choice music...I stupidly choose the Super Lemon Haze and pay a ridiculous amount for it...we grab a weird tall table with a type of partial leaning stool/fixed seating and try to get comfortable.

This place is very busy...I make my joint of SLH and I'm taken back by the energetic buzz hit from it...I raise it in the air with my arm pumping in appreciation along to the crazy dance music.

It's getting late and my friend starts to complain so we head back for Centraal to move towards Leiden again ready to go back to the hostel.

The BD Energy Shop and Lounge, that's my joint! I usually drinks at the Energy Shop, agreed better cannabis values exist elsewhere. Also, inside it is often crowded, then hopefully outside is nice enough to enjoy. Nothing better than to sit there and people watch and have one of their staff bring you a E1.5 water every hour or so. English Breakfast? You could have went next door to the BD Lounge where it's on the menu. I also agree Amsterdam prices can be a :shock: shock but this can be found for around E10.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Great report mate - sounds like you had a blast despite that miserable fucker you were travelling with :)

I think I'd have chinned the daft get at the point I had to pay for his train ticket. What a dick!

Solo trip next time? I have at least one a year - it's the best way to get some serious strain hunting done.

Get yourself over for a 4/20 bro - there's plenty of like minds to play out with :)
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

OneHighMofo wrote: ↑Sun 19th Mar 2017 10:09 am Great report mate - sounds like you had a blast despite that miserable fucker you were travelling with :)

I think I'd have chinned the daft get at the point I had to pay for his train ticket. What a dick!

Solo trip next time? I have at least one a year - it's the best way to get some serious strain hunting done.

Get yourself over for a 4/20 bro - there's plenty of like minds to play out with :)
I went solo the month after this trip (report to follow)...then again a few months later, I went with my girlfriend at the end of January this year and I'm booked on a solo 2nd week of April but I just miss most people from ACD but will briefly cross paths with Matty and macky the day I depart.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Sweet - I shall look forward to those reports :)