December 2016 Trip

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
BarryLyndon420

December 2016 Trip

Post by BarryLyndon420 »

As I've recently booked a trip For mid May, I thought I'd share my experiences from last year's 2 stays in De Pijp. I'm going to focus on the Coffeeshops and the weed I sampled there. Would love to hear your thoughts and especially any advice on moonrocks, ice and new school hash. At home I struggle for a consistent weed supply so I've tended to stick to Green when I'm in Holland but I'm curious about their effects on an experienced stoner who doesn't have much access to premium modern products outside the Dam.

My 2 trips were solo escapades in March and December 2016, staying in the old South. I managed to get through a decent amount, particularly on my second tour, here are a few thoughts, shop by shop.

BarryLyndon420

Re: December 2016 Trip

Post by BarryLyndon420 »

Katsu

Like many CS in town there's an impression that Katsu hasn't changed notably in some years, its cosy without being too cramped. The service can be indifferent in the Dutch style and the mostly local clientele are elegantly bohemian to a fault. The staff seemed to warm up with familiarity and I spent lots of time in here on both trips, making a few short term friends.

As discussed elsewhere the weed is dispensed in 10/20/40+ Euro bags and I would agree with other correspondents that there was no real stink to be found in much of what I tried. The effects were usually pleasant with some exceptions as discussed below

Amnesia Haze- First smoke of my March trip, on the watery recommendation of the bud tender lady, became absurdly high but equally paranoid. Tried another joint but no help. A false start.,Followed by:
So G Kush- A bit dead, hashy taste and effect.
Mango Haze- Bought twice six months apart, more creamy taste and fruity smell in this bud and a nice chilled effect, not as hazy as you'd expect maybe.
Mango Kush-Not miles away from the Haze but with a more pronounced mouthful of fug and a stronger buzz.
Big Buddha Cheese- Lost amongst the competing mangoes I think. Don't remember a strong attribute.
Tangerine- Nice and easy to smoke, had a nice dreamy float to some Sabbath standing outside for one in the winter sunshine. Should've got more of this.
Dr Grinspoon- The energising effect from this apparently unique strain-which Katsu sold here as what looks like a fistful of pine needles-is among my standout memories from the last outing, I don't take energy drinks but this could be the herb equivalent.
BlackWidow Haze- Another sharpener, taste wasn't notable, bit harsh on the throat if I recall correctly, perhaps due to 4th day of sampling.
Choco OG-Sweet and sleepy, I remember enjoying a nice full joint of this while chatting with an older Polish gent and a an inquisitive bud tender.
BarryLyndon420

Post by BarryLyndon420 »

Easy Times
Younger leaning coffeeshop with a lot of very cool looking tourists. Reasonably chilled, if a little dark further inside the venue, with a lot of seating, some of it comfortable. Big menu, some of the top weeds not always in stock. The Bud tenders are beautiful.
Green Crack- Another upper, sour and smelly, seemed fresh. Energising for a walk.
Super Silver Haze- Gentler Daytime weed with more of an obvious stone in the afterglow.

Eerste Hulp
Made a few return trips here as I find it to be welcoming and peaceful, top drawer jaw jaw from the engaged helpers on the bud they're punting, nice to see an effort being made. The weed has been consistent and fresh, their green menu often changes entirely from month to month. I'm intrigued by some of the fancy ices, moonrocks etc but I've yet to partake.
Mexican Haze- Amongst my favourites, tasty, chunky and gave me a relaxed focus with no anxiety.
Jet Fuel-A Diesel/Kush variant I think, this was prescribed by tattoo BT for last thing before bed. This resulted in a night-long journey through the stargate to Jupiter and beyond the infinite. I've never seen this sold since last March. Evil, grey green chunk which stank of the latrine.
LA Confidential-Mellow stone, don't remember the bud itself. Will take more photos next time.
Girl Scout Cookies- I think this got a bit lost amongst some other smokes but it was nice and dense in the bag. Can't recall taste and effect.
Larby's OG. Female BT suggested pairing this with a tastier weed as the distinctive light coloured leaves have no taste and smell, and promised a dreamy, sensual effect. All pleasantly true.
NYCD- Not the same octane as the jet fuel but provided a spark.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Excellent note taking, Barry! I appreciate the ambiance references just as much as the herb reviews.

Easy Times has always been a buy and fly for me, but could be a nice sit and smoke.
BarryLyndon420

Post by BarryLyndon420 »

Grey Area
Whilst sitting in the relaxed and convivial tourist spot Abraxas, I'm making my way through Easy Times' SSH when a friendly Londoner, just arrived in town, pipes up next to me. Soon we're making plans for him to dump his gear , grab some ribs, and I suggest heading to Grey Area as I've never been. A sizeable queue and maybe 10 minute wait to get served, no more taxing than a busy city centre pub in the UK. There's a buzz about the place and my new pal is moved by the quietly gregarious BT to take a lovely 2G wad of NYCD. I later wish I'd doubled up but wanted 3 strains. Miraculously, we find a corner of a table and roll a number whilst smoking one from the chamber. Too cramped, not worth sticking around for long.
Skittlez- A fancy hybrid which gave me a buzz and tasted bright and bubblegum sour.
Blueberry Haze- A full mouth coating puff followed by spaced out dreaminess.
Blue Dream- Honestly? Cant exactly remember. Possibly last spliff before bed, I do recall a long and restful sleep.

Softland
Trying to find a comfy spot to work on the Grey Area goodies, we pick the wrong place at the wrong time it seems. This shop features a lot of Moroccan hashes and looks to be a favourite with Dutch speaking locals. We each buy a gram to be polite, not sure if it's required. My Kandy Kush didn't look great and I think I saved it for filler so I'm not sure how much of it I smoked. A horrible young Russian dude made a hell of a commotion shouting from his table about the shitty weed (his description). Yer man was done in and needed to go back to base for some sleep, and we decide to vacate. I have a grim impression of the place but I think it's mostly down to the awful fellow tourist. Back to De Pijp and Club Media for me.
BarryLyndon420

Post by BarryLyndon420 »

Thanks LLMReb, Easy Times gets pretty busy and the chart pop/dance isn't for everyone-but it's ideal for an early smoke, opens at 9AM. In 2014 on a trip with Mrs Lyndon we had Super OG Kush there which blew our brains out.

Club Media
This shop used to resemble a staff canteen until a refurb a couple of years ago, now it's a bit featureless altogether. It's a locals joint, tolerant of blundering tourists without showing much warmth. Ideal place to watch a movie with their reliable wi-fi. Sadly the music favoured here is a steady drip of Radio 2 daytime bilge, albeit at a mercifully quiet volume. Never too busy during the week but catering to a brisk stream of takeaway customers, a few of whom pick up a preordered selection of joints, sometimes waiting for the BT to roll a couple of bespoke hash numbers.
Pot O Gold- Not the freshest pick, spicy taste, chill indica effect.
Kandy Kush- Winner. Foul smelling but sweet tasting, nightcap joint sends me up to bed, head buzzing and learning colours. Minus points- fills the sinus with goo.
Cheese- Fancied some Cheese after passing it up at Eerste Hulp. Was told that it was a bit dry and in need of a reup. Bought half a gram anyway. I was warned.
OG Kush- On a heavy day of smoking the fiery bubblegum taste of this Kush stood out a mile. Relaxed a tired body after some cross city trekking.
Pineapple-I remember purchasing this but it obviously didn't stand out particularly.
Champagne Haze- Berries of citrus detergent which burst into cold sticky lumps of powder, astringent, almost refreshing smoke, mood lift and energy burst for a walk home.

Super Skunk
Particulalry young clientele in this place, the music is loud and obnoxious, a vast improvement on the nearby media. Menu seems strangely off the peg. Laughing Buddha is a mildly uplifting daytime mix, their Jack Herer I found unremarkable.

Stones
In the middle of a surprisingly picturesque canal side street at the edge of De Pijp, this tiny coffeeshop has a decent menu. I'd been looking for shoreline and they had a fresh tub. I got a solid 2gram chunk which left me with far too large a stash, worth it for a few big joints of shoreline-full tasting, rotten smelling and a happy, mellow stone.
BarryLyndon420

Post by BarryLyndon420 »

Thought I'd finally finish this recap before I arrive in Amsterdam next Monday.

@Internet Cafe
Unhelpfully named, this pristine but homely space is surprisingly large with an extensive menu that no one seems to have thought to photograph. Guilty on that point too. I got Devils Harvest (Just called Devils Harvest) and Heaven Haze. A few days into proceedings, I only have vague recollections other than smoothness. Some Hash that I never used. Bought way too much weed that day, but the smartly dressed bud tender patiently went through some options and I could not resist. Nice find, only because Greenhouse Tolstraat along the street was closed due to a shooting(!)

Barneys Uptown
Very early in the morning over a milkshake, this is a posh place which doesn't have a weed counter, and serves an English/American food menu. The other branches punt some very fresh herbs. No other branches on the street were selling the famous desserts. In truth, just a milkshake. Either the main shop or the farm looked more comfortable.
Utopia Haze
Fresh and citrusy, a welcome morning pick me up and clear high.

Voyagers
Just time to get a quick bag here, Voyagers has been well covered elsewhere. Will kick off my trip here next week all being well.
Lemon Bubble
Happy and uplifting high, bright and soapy taste. Last smoke before the airport, so bittersweet.

Ate a hearty lunch with a couple of smokes in Batavia, which will be my second stop this time. Left my sadly unsmoked stash with some helpful souls who pledged to give it a good home and find a bin for my tub and mess of paraphernalia. Left a fair bit of weed, won't be so greedy this time. We'll see.
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Nice reviews mate! Hope your trip next week is a good one :mrgreen:! I think the coffeeshop you're writing about called Internet Cafe is actually called Get Down To It. I couldn't tell you why there aren't any signs that say Get Down To It lol.
Here's the thread link for Get Down To It viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32777
I got a menu picture too :wink:
sit back, blaze ganja and chill