Trip VIII - Travelogue I

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
aVeryOldLady

Trip VIII - Travelogue I

Post by aVeryOldLady »

I just saw that I messed up the title of the topic. It is supposed to be "Trip VIII - Travelogue II".

So I'm finally getting around to start writing up my most recent trip this summer from August 1st until August 6th 2016 which was my eighth trip all in all.
The events might be a little bit outdated, but I hope you enjoy my little report nonetheless.

August 1st - Day 1

First things first: Don't expect as detailed reports after this day as the city will catch up with me :D I expect you all know this feeling and can relate to it.

As some might remember, my last arrival had been as comfortable as it can get. I had had a bed on a night train and was even able to sleep around 6 hours. This time around, I had the same arrival time of approximately 9am. The difference was that my destination was not central station but Sloterdijk instead. And that I took a bus.
I can honestly tell you that this was a really bad decision. Some of the other passengers, after a little while my aching legs and the constant noise all around kept me constantly awake so that I managed to get something like 3 or 4 hours of sleep. The journey back home is another story as I made sure that nothing would keep me awake then :D
The train ride from Sloterdijk to central station was easy and only took us around 5 to 10 minutes. Once we arrived there, we contacted the hotel to see if we can check in. They told us the rooms would be ready around 1pm but we could leave our bags there until then and so we made our way there.
Then, exactly the same thing happened as last time with one tiny difference: we were sober this time around. In the same street where the entrance to our hotel is located, there is a door that looks exactly the same and has a quite similar tourist head shop next to it. So again, we knocked on the wrong door and told a random person that we would like to check in. My bad. :D
Once we got to the correct door, we found they have a new lock which doesn't use keys anymore but a phone app. This alone took us around 10 minutes for opening the door. Once we had that figured out, though, it turned out to be a pretty cool feature as this meant no more forgotten keys.
After dropping our bags, we made our way to Central to get a filler for some hash before hopping over to Voyagers. I couldn't find any thai or bio or anything like that so I asked for a good filler weed for hash. I was pretty confused when the budtender asked me what a filler is. I explained to him that I mean some rather not so potent weed, maybe some imported weed. He then told me that they don't import weed so we left.
We got into Voyagers at 10am and it was almost empty. Our first purchases on this trip were Kaligria for 12€/g and Notorious OG for 15€/g which was a strain I missed out on on my trip in 2016 and was eager to try. The Kaligria had a nice smell but a weaker taste. As expected due to the Kali Mist, the high was quite mellow, which is good for a first smoke for me as I'm not so blown away right away this way. Anything that has Kali Mist in its lineage is a strain I could recommend to somebody who wants a highly functional high to still be able to get things done. Ultimately, we decided to continue with the Notorious OG right away, which had a really gassy smell and overall a much more distinct taste. A quite heavy stone follows and now I'm in the condition I'm used to when beginning my trips.
Once we leave, we walk towards Nemo but grab the first bench we see and sit down. In case you don't know: That bench is approximately 100 metres from Voyagers. Way to go. We get one of the heavier giggle attacks for no reason just to let everybody in sight know what a great time we are having. By that time, we also have bloodshot eyes and Sahara-like conditions in our mouth already.

Same picture as in my last travelogue, but one year later:

Again, we made our way over to the roof top of Nemo's where we had a beautiful view of the city skyline. Even the sun came out. This might become an arrival ritual. :D

My friend's favorite Amsterdam strain is LSD (what a stupid name) so next stop: Buy'n'Fly at Amnesia. He grabs some for 13€/g. I was pondering getting some Pineapple Chunk but the budtendress steered me towards the Critical Kush with the argumentation that it is much stronger for the same price (15€/g) and overall nicer at the moment. I opt for that because I want to give this strain another chance after it was one of the biggest disappointments on my last trip and my nose gave it a good rating.
Next, we head around the corner to Grey Area. What looks like a relatively moderate queue turns out to take forever. I grab OG Kush at 15€/g and half a g of Mr. X at 13€/g. I gather from the menu that this is supposed to be Durban Poison which is another strain I had been looking forward to try. The buds look really frosty so I take that as a good sign.
After that, we pick up our bags from the train station and check in. The room was ready and we took a quick shower before getting into our stash. The LSD from Amnesia had a nice and unique aroma, different than most strains. Not one of my go to strains, but nice as always. After half of the j my friend falls asleep. Keep in mind that it is around 2pm now so that's a sign of things to come. Not in a good way. I leave the LSD for him and skin up half of the OG Kush from Grey Area. Smooth smoke, smell and taste of a classic OG were there, although I can see why so many people look for OG related crosses with more exciting flavor profiles. Personally, I like this classic variety. A heavy stone follows, but it burnt quite odd. Friend still asleep, so I sample the Critical Kush from Amnesia. In addition to the woody tones there was also something else, maybe berry like? Probably not. Halfway through the j I skin up some Mr. X from Grey Area just in case I want to leave the hotel in the near future and turn to that strain. Nice aroma, nice nugs as already mentioned. The sweet taste and the uplifting effects get me out of the relaxation trap :D Just as smooth as the OG Kush, but it burned way better. Ultimately, I can't resist and finish my Critical Kush j. Finally, my friend wakes up and we finish the LSD j as well.
After that, I convince him to leave the hotel. So we move over to Bluebird which is just about a 5 minute walk for some hash. I ask the budtender what he can recommend and he points us towards the Critical Mass Hash at 12,50€/0,7g with Moroccon origin. He adds that it is super oily and sticky. I've heard of that kind of hash from some people but I did not expect it to be THAT oily. In fact, it is so bad that I can't roll it right there; not before I find a fridge. I would not by that kind of hash again to be honest. :D I also get some Thai weed as a filler at 7,50€/2,5g. Once we sat down I notice that this is the worst looking weed I have ever seen. I hadn't paid any attention as this is supposed to be a hash filler - but such scraggly and brown weed shocked me. I didn't try it there, though, as we smoke the rest of the Mr. X from Grey Area instead which lifts us up. Still, everything is blurry due to the lack of sleep and the heavy first day consumption.
Sitting there and smoking, we make contact to two other friends who stay near Sloterdijk station. Although they arrived with us, it took them a while as their charging cable broke and they weren't able to get to know where we were. Once they arrive at Bluebird, we share the rest of the Voyagers Kaligria with them.
Then off to Voyagers where we grab Amnesia at 10€/1,1g and they purchase Fromage Blue for 10€/g. We move down to Prinsengracht and sit by the canal, where we sample our friends' Apple Haze from Easy Times. It really smells and tastes like apples. Weird, I've never encountered anything like that before. Then some of their Choco Bio (or something like that), also from Easy Times. We finish with our Amnesia from Voyagers which has a nice sativa kick, smooth smoke.
Next stop was Easy Times where I grab White Widow at 8,50€/g and for my friends Skywalker OG, Caramello and Lemon Haze Hash. Sampled all of it, I can only remember that we moved to the canal right opposite of Easy Times after a while from where we could see the bustling coffeeshop.
Back at the hotel, we were able to put the Critical Mass Hash into the fridge and then sample it with the Thai. It is good, but I can clearly taste some of that Thai. The rest of the Critical Kush serves as our nightcap. And so ends the blurry first day.

OneHighMofo

Re: Trip VIII - Travelogue I

Post by OneHighMofo »

Thanks very much for that - great report I'm looking forward to the rest.

That 'apple' weed is to my (and many others) mind almost certainly adulterated - probably nothing to be too concerned about. It's likely something as simple as adding food grade flavourings to the feed rather than spraying anything directly on the flowers (although I've never checked it under a microscope so can't be sure). Still. Awful.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Nice report so far keep it coming!..look forward to the updates!

Everyone seems to suffer with a tired first day and it's always comforting and very relatable when reading someone elses first day experience battling the elements and said variables to pull through against all odds😁

Like OHMF said a lot of overly flavourful strains from certain shops..which is questionable on how it is done....Popeyes "Vanilla Kush" being a prime example of offensive flavourings/tampering.
back2thedam

Post by back2thedam »

Nice so far, keep up the good work :)
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Had some Pineapple Chunk from Backcountry Cannabis in Crested Butte. Great smoke. Also had Durban Poison, which was good, too. Enjoy those strains! Would hit Durban in morning thru mid-day, then as the sun went down switch to Pineapple.

I completely understand the energy to write toward the beginning of the trip, then the effort to write as the trip progresses. My best posts are the first few, then i acheive a consistent stoned vibe and lose momentum. Keep it up!
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

A very enjoyable read :D thank you for writing it up! Can't wait for the next instalment 8)
sit back, blaze ganja and chill
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

Nice read 8) Keep it coming!
aVeryOldLady wrote: Sun 24th Sep 2017 08:27 pm As some might remember, my last arrival had been as comfortable as it can get. I had had a bed on a night train and was even able to sleep around 6 hours. This time around, I had the same arrival time of approximately 9am. The difference was that my destination was not central station but Sloterdijk instead. And that I took a bus.
I can honestly tell you that this was a really bad decision. Some of the other passengers, after a little while my aching legs and the constant noise all around kept me constantly awake so that I managed to get something like 3 or 4 hours of sleep. The journey back home is another story as I made sure that nothing would keep me awake then
Once I went to Amsterdam by bus, too and well what can I say never again! :lol: I remember that it was on a hot summer day and the aircon of the bus was broken... the WLAN, too... furthermore we had a delay of nearly 2 hours and I just arrived in time before the reservation for the hotel was terminated :? OK it was the cheapest journey I ever made to Amsterdam but I would pay a little more to get comfortable and relaxed to the destination!
aVeryOldLady wrote: Sun 24th Sep 2017 08:27 pm I was pretty confused when the budtender asked me what a filler is. I explained to him that I mean some rather not so potent weed, maybe some imported weed. He then told me that they don't import weed so we left.
He only mix hash with tabacco for sure :lol: me, too :? :lol: but well I know what a filler is :D for a time I was also looking for a nearly non tasting filler weed but I only found weed that still changed the taste of the hash :? so I still use tabacco when smoking hash joints. Not good I know but I try to use only a little bit :roll: