Pre-Christmas 2017: Day one (and only?)

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Largefella

Pre-Christmas 2017: Day one (and only?)

Post by Largefella »

As the title suggests: I’d hate to begin a Travelogue, and then fall off the page after day 1 - but this may happen….(I’ve never even gotten as far as writing a day 1 before, what with the wonderful distractions of the city, and the glorious sleep that follows every day). But here at least is one day’s traipsing around Amsterdam with a few recommendations thrown in.

Landed late the night before - fog and mist meant delays, and we were waiting for our bags at Schiphol at 2am. Is it just me, or is the checked baggage return at Schiphol the slowest in the world? (I think the only slower return I’ve had was on arrival in Havana, Cuba a few years back, where the bags came one at a time through a shoot, about 3 or 4 minutes apart. I think every bag was opened and inspected….Schiphol was only a little quicker)

Stayed at the CitizenM at the airport - very much recommended. Super clean, quick check in, bizarre tiny rooms that seem to work - awesome breakfast. Taxi straight to Airbnb the Oud West (luxury - usually take the train to Centraal etc, but hey, it’s almost Christmas)

Dropped bags, now much lighter, and jumped on a tram to Centraal:

Voyagers - first buy of the trip, as per tradition. It was standing room only, balls to the wall, 3 BTs working it. Just grabbed a single pure pre-roll Lemon Bubble. (It’s never let me down as a first smoke after months without - but stashed it for now). Didn’t hang around. Looked across the canal to Batavia - looks empty - awesome. Round the corner we go.

Batavia - bastard. That’s why it looks so empty - not open yet. Another time, Batavia…

Still yet to have the first smoke of the trip, walked across the front of the station, and wound across to:

Siberie - on the hunt for CBD...hadn’t seen a recent menu - I think April ‘17 was the last? Menu is still pretty similar. Always friendly BTs - usually all women? This time a friendly guy served up the weed - opened every box I mentioned and let me see and smell - even as a small line formed behind me. I got more self-conscious when this happened, and sped up my purchases - hate slowing down weed consumption for others!

They had a cheap “Thai-CBD”, and we grabbed 4 pure pre-rolls of it. The wife happily puffed on one of two of those throughout the day. Siberie said it was a 1:1 CBD - wife thought maybe a little more THC than that - but good. Nice and mild in any case….

I grabbed 2g Super Silver Haze (come on - a classic, right? My original favorite daytime strain). It was a little sticky, solid smell - burned with some nice white ash. As expected, nice clear head high, not too buzzy, just altered.

I also grabbed a gram of Critical Mass - also good. I think a little superior to the SSH here. Same clean burning, bit more complex high - very nice. Also got some CBD Red Libanon Hash for when the wife gets more hardcore in a day or two.

Stayed for a cuppa, and a little smoke in Siberie - great place, like a chill morning breakfast spot - low communal tables, and I’ve never seen too many gangs of teens come in..

Off into the chill air (but not all that cold to be honest…), and walked down the Singel towards Leidseplein. Stopped at a cafe halfway for Gluhweins…sat outside and let the fact that we’re back in Amsterdam settle in over a nice gentle buzz and hot spiced wine…Yes, FFS.

Back on the road, and cut into:

Tweede Kamer, to chase up a recent menu. Reasonably busy here, but not crazy. Grabbed a gram of the CBD master kush, and 1g Choco Gorilla (I was persuaded by the effect-description “a little trippy” - sounds good for night time….). Effects not yet judged. No seating room - back on the road.

Mandatory FEBO stop (come on - over 6 months since last visit). Kalfsvleeskroket. Lekker.

Arrived at the Bulldog, Leidseplein. I reckon this spot is a gem - for one particular purpose. Sitting outside on the tables, right on the edge of the square, rolling and smoking, with pints and a shot of Jaeger while families walk past, some with open mouths...some very jealous parents in those crowds I think - kids not old enough yet to have a smoke with…. We even got some bitterballen, to sit on top of our foundational FEBO snack. Sensational people watching - never feel rushed here (never bought the weed here either though - sceptical me). We must have lingered for an hour or two (maybe 30 mins in sober-time? Can’t tell).

Fueled by Critical Mass, SSH, and some hits of Thai CBD, skys getting darker already - must be around 3 or 4 pm - mission to Foodhallen on foot.

Foodhallen, still a bit before the dinner rush - so still some seating. Got the Pork Tacos Al Pastor, some Kibbling, and some dimsum dumplings to share - all pretty tasty - Kibbling the best. There’s a decent beer counter doing many bottles of craft brews - American Style Amber Ale worked nicely. Also had to grab a G&T (because why the hell not?) - I think standards have slipped a little at the G&T bar in presentation and cleanliness since last time - but I reasoned that the Gin would probably kill any flu bugs around…

One more cafe en route home for a beer (thirsty work, this walking and smoking lark), and back to the Airbnb for some night-time joints...and night came quick. With a low recent tolerance, I was out….Fuckin’ love this city.

...as Sinatra once sang, Doobee doobee dooo....
CopenhagenCouple

Re: Pre-Christmas 2017: Day one (and only?)

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Nice job largefella, good first day write up, let's hope you'll make it to another day...

Can't wait untill it is our turn...

CC
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Free Ben

Post by Free Ben »

Very enjoyable read to start my day, thanks Largefella.

I hope you manage to write up day 2!
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Cracking read mate! Hopefully there's more to come, that was very enjoyable! Thanks for writing it up 8)
sit back, blaze ganja and chill
Largefella

Post by Largefella »

Cheers all - and Merry Christmas ACD!

Haven’t fallen into the full-Amster-hazy-lazy land (not yet, underlined), so I’ll capitalize and write up another day.

Christmas Eve-Eve:

Had an old friend arrive late last night - her first time in Amsterdam, and never smoked before either - love it! It’s always fun to play the corruptor - with a small feeling of responsibility too…

Colder today. Grayer skies, fresher wind coming up. Beautiful walking weather. Beautiful smoking and drinking weather.

We all caught up near the Heineken Experience (I think we’ve managed to talk her out of going there - not that it’s awful - just reckon there’s way better ways to spend time and money with limited Amsterdam hours).

Instead, we did a different touristy thing, but one I’d recommend - a HungryBirds tour - very small local company, run by a group of young groovy women. Wife and I did it a couple years ago - good fun for half a day (meet some people, no waiting in lines, nice food just seems to end up in your hands) - we brought them another customer this time - same excellent guide. They start by taking you to a few places in and around the Albert Cuyp, some obvious and some less - all food is quality. A standout - Toko Bandung, right on the corner opposite the market. I’d seen it before, and it always looked like a spice shop/pots and pans kind of place. Which it is. But go down the stairs to the lower level, and they are selling Indonesian takeaway, and dimsum type gear - super good. There’s also a stop at the Surinamese deli on the corner near Katsu - awesome sandwiches, similar to Vietnamese Bahn Mi.

From the Albert Cuyp, we wound up towards the Spui. Ten stops in all, including multiple beer, genever etc. Not stuffy like some foodie tours can be. Along the way we even managed to pause and talk to a Boerejongens rep standing on the street - dressed immaculately in a bowler hat, tie and long soft trench coat style thing. I guess he was there to rustle up a little extra foot traffic in his shop’s direction. Poor guy - I quite like walking in the chill, but having to stand on the bridge for hours must get a bit old. Apparently they have some high CBD strains. We’ll have to check it out later - still on a foodie tour at the mo….

We all dropped off next to the Tweede Kamer, at the Cookie shop next door. Holy Crap - I’d never realized that they sell only one thing in there - a milk and white chocolate cookie - by the thousands...smells like a hot fudge sundae inside the shop. And right next door to Tweede - genius.

Now free of the tour group - we decided to head towards the Red Lights, just as it was getting a little dark. On the way, stopped at:

Kandinsky. Early evening, plenty of room to sit and chill. Got a gram of White Russian, a softer reasonable indica - yet to try. Instead wanted to share the Lemon Bubble pre-roll from Voyagers, and some of my own rolled SSH from Siberie with our newbie friend. Wife started her on the Thai CBD - didn’t want to be responsible for an early whitey….Some hip-hop and some electronica playing - not bad - in fact the bass on their sound system is so intense the vibrations come through the walls and seats, right up your backbone. That plus some nice buzzy weed worked for me - hell yes.

From Kandinsky, it got a little sketchy, as the hazey sativas, beer and genever all began to collide delightfully in the brain. Stopped at a couple of brown bar/cafes for Gluhwein and beers. At one cafe/bar we sat outside and looked right onto the Waag, and drank and watched as they tore down the market stalls for the evening. Walked past some red windows - most still being set up for the evening. Ended up somehow at:

Wonder Bar Two. Pretty quiet inside. Had lots of half-joints to finish off - I’d stashed them in a rolling backy pouch, which the bar tender told me pretty abruptly to put away. OK, fair enough, just grabbing my pure rolls, no problem. Not the greatest or most attentive service - but content with a smoking bar of any kind. This city and country can spoil you, right? Stayed for the pint, nicely toasted….newbie friend was a serious champ - still holding out her hand as the joints came round. ...later, drifted our way back towards Spui. Dinner at:

Sampurna. On the Singel, right by the Bloemenmarkt. Indonesian Rijsttafel. Pricey, but solid. Satay chicken skewers with thick spicy peanut sauce, cucumber salad, chopped beef curry...can’t list all 14 dishes. But Yes. Yes.
Serious overeating involved - day two of a day’s smoking session after a long absence, the munchies came looking for me. Hardcore. That ended my usefulness for anything else on the streets of Amsterdam. Only solution - home, bed. (Tomorrow’s another green day).
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Brilliant stuff - bravo!
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

very nice read 8) thanks Largefella
Largefella wrote: Sun 24th Dec 2017 07:56 am We all dropped off next to the Tweede Kamer, at the Cookie shop next door. Holy Crap - I’d never realized that they sell only one thing in there - a milk and white chocolate cookie - by the thousands...smells like a hot fudge sundae inside the shop. And right next door to Tweede - genius.

Yeah that cookie shop is crazy :lol: usually there is a very big queue in front of the shop. They are pretty famous for their cookie :D I never tried it myself but heard of it from german tv... did you tried them?

Keep it up :mrgreen:
Last edited by Marok21 on Mon 25th Dec 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
avfc-herbalist

Post by avfc-herbalist »

Brilliant instalment mate, thanks for taking the time :mrgreen: Merry Christmas Largefella 8)
sit back, blaze ganja and chill
Largefella

Post by Largefella »

Merry Christmas Everyone! - written on big JC’s birthday itself…

Thank you all for the replies!

Hoi Marok - yep, tried the cookies. Freakin Awesome. I reckon best to eat them right outside the shop while they are still warm - there is a massive white chocolate ball that melts right into the cookie centre (they are really more chocolate than cookie). Tried some back at home too. Still crazy good when cold.

Christmas Eve:

Had a quiet one - the calm before the storm of more holiday peeps coming to visit in Amsterdam. Thought I’d better also give the body a rest from alcohol - fairly easy prospect in this great city. With many jaunts planned for later - it became a classic “stay at home day” (or "nice warm Airbnb"), get some food in, some stupid movies and series, and punctuate the day with smoke breaks in the little garden. Before settling into this fantastic pattern, time for a little walk and restock…

Staying around the Erasmus Park area in Oud West, I took a short hike to seek out a shop I’d thought about for a while. Went down the Admiralengracht, and past many forgotten little boats, as ducks, swans and fat grey geese swam on the canal, all looking disapprovingly at the chaos of seagulls making a spectacle of themselves. Brilliant walking weather again. The wife and I live most of the year in the middle east - so something as simple as grey skies and damp cold wind is fucking heaven. Soon enough, came across:

Boerejongens West

Very efficient action going on inside the shop. Looks and feels like a serious operation, with veteran master BTs working alongside apprentice BTs, giving sideways tips and reprimands, all at speed. Velvet ropes guide customers from the waiting line to one of three or four BTs at the main counter. No chance of seeing the menu while you are waiting is the downside (and probably hurts their otherwise impressive efficiency, right?), and then you have to ask for a specific menu section to be shown on your personal screen once you are at the counter (er, could I see the indica menu, please?) Are they worried about corporate espionage?

Got some Cookies CBD flower for the wife - 10 Euro a gram. I got the straight Girl Scout Cookies for me (I think it was 13 Euro?). Thought on Christmas eve I’d splurge, and grabbed a gram of their Tangie block hash (20 Euro a gram). Very dark and sticky - but none of these tried yet. Finally, one pre-rolled “unbleached white choco block hash joint” mixed with tobacco. Something to try….

Still in a walky mood, I followed the road around to the back of the shop, and walked towards, and then down, Postjekade, and into Rembrandt Park. Very few people around - the occasional jogger and cyclists cutting through. Found three empty benches in a row in front of a pond, and decided it was a good spot for public smoking. Lit up the Boerejongens Hash joint.

About a quarter of a joint in, I was joined at the benches by a toothless Polish man (who looked way too young to be missing so many teeth, but obviously well seasoned). He tried some broken-Dutch-and-Polish on me….I tried some badly broken-German-and-English on him…(the combo might’ve worked? I guess not...) The most I could make out was that he wanted me to roll his ganja for him (although he never showed me this ganja). I showed him the Boerejongens pre-roll tube, and tried to explain that I don’t roll very well. He then went off on a ramble that included words like “kinder vodka” and some cocaine references….not sure what he was after exactly - I assumed the joint had attracted him in my direction. I was toasted well enough by this stage, so I handed him the remaining hash joint, and walked happily on my way. He seemed happy too! Good times in the park…

Back at the Airbnb, I finally tried the Choco Gorilla from Tweede. Not so nice - harsh on the throat, and only a moderate buzz. Usually anything I’ve grabbed from Tweede is good - can’t win em all, I suppose. The Critical Mass from Siberie did me much nicer...

Much more excited about trying the Cookies, and Tangie block hash from Boerejongens - now that it’s Christmas Day….

Enjoy everybody - wherever you are!
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Top notch read lad.

How long are you in Damsko this time?
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Great live report, and during Christmas no less, keep up the good work! :D

The tangie blocks from Boer are usually really lekker hash, have a good Christmas smoke! :mrgreen:
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Nice report largefella.