Christmas in Amsterdam

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
RoMoney

Christmas in Amsterdam

Post by RoMoney »

So folks, here goes my first Travelogue......Christmas in Amsterdam.....bit of a struggle to remember the timeline, but between photos, WhatsApp and ACD chat I've pieced it together.

Day 1.
After a minor delay of an hour due to fog I was on my way to Schipol. From disembarking on the plane to gettiing on the train to central station took me a grand total of 10 minutes, gotta get that airport sprint on and have change ready for the train ticket :)

Upon reaching central station I was greeted by wind and rain, ohhhhhh, just like home I thought, as Amsterdam weather often is :) I made my way to Utopia and took the Gorilla Glue (2/g for €20 special as it wasn't buds) and after a lovely joint of pure GG, my one hour delay was but a distant memory and I was in Mokum Mode™. I rolled another and smoked half before making my way towards Grey Area which had smoke cominng out from the upstairs and the street was closed with fire engines etc. which was bizarre. Though slightly confused by all this, I headed towards Vondel to check in, setting a new record of only going to one CS before checking in!

After check-in and a joint in the hostel smoking room I walked to Albert Cuyp market to buy a cheap pipe and indulged in some apple based Christmas pastries too. Strolled to YoYo closeby then, where I got the Cheese and Frisian Cheese. I really like this CS, there are always some local students in there and prices are very reasonable. From there I headed to Sarphatia park for a quick joint and swang by Club Media for some Amnesia before making my way back to Vondel.

That evening I made my first trip to Cafe de Klos for the Lamb Chops (which were devine)
and also visited Massawa CS to sample their much loved Royal. It was a really nice, typical Moroccan hash, strong stoned buzz. As mentioned in the coffeeshop reviews, both the hash and coffee there taste like Morocco and the dodgy Arab pop music made it even better. It's nice to frequent local places for a change and not be surrounded by tourists with wheely suitcases going to and from the airport.

Day 2.
The second day I had a cheese joint and coffee in Vondel for brekkie
image storage api
before I met ACD's own Stulid in Bluebird for a Toke & Talk, took the OG Kush, 1.1g for €12.5, we wandered from there to Het Ballonetje where I got some G13 (price I do not recall), nice place, cool staff. From there we made our way to Nude Burger Club for some Burger goodness Image

and finished up in Siberie where I took the Dutch purple for brekkie joints. At this stage Stulid was balling it in Siberie with the Gorilla Glue and Red Leb combo joints :)

That evening I walked up to Marnixstraat to visit 1e Hulp and sample some of their fine hashes. First visit there I tried the Strawberry Banana and Gorilla Glue hashes, both of which are sublime. After that I went to Bronx which had some lovely lemon haze but was a bit of a dive. To cut a long story short, it could do with a lick of paint and they could do with not sweeping the tables with the same brush they use for the floor!

Day 3.
Rolled a massive fatty of Dutch Purple nn Christmas eve morning and I made the trek to DNA Coffeeshop to try and get some LA Confidential as a recent menu had shown them stocking it, but they no longer do. Got the AK Kosher Kush based on budtender recommendation, nothing on leafly about it, but heavy Indica strain, it was ok, but no LA Con. Was annoyed at myself I forgot to visit De Kade while in the area, but not the end of the world.

I rocked into the Centrum later and got some Space Invader from Voyagers and Cheese Cookies from Utopia. The cheese cookies made up for not finding the LA Con as did the carrot cake in Brood Bar. Shoutout to Matty223 for the recommendation.
upload image free google
In the evening I popped into Barneys Lounge to use their vape and vaped some Lemon Haze and G13, both VERY tasty. I should add that I was shocked they let me use the vape even though I only bought a sprite.

Day 4.
Christmas day I met VertigoAgogo and we went to Utopia (tried the Orange Cognac - as the English dude (James?) who works there had recommended it previously - nice smoke), Brood Bar (for more Carrot Cake), Voyagers (more Space Invader) & an Irish bar (the shame!!!) because Hill Street Booze was closed. before heading back the hostel for Xmas dinner and chilling in the smoking room. Took a stroll around Christmas evening and was surprised a lot of places were already open again. You gotta love the Dutch, don't miss out on an opportunity to make money.

Day 5
Went to Bluebird and had Amnesia for brekkie, think it was 1.2g ir 1.3g for €12.5. They had the Buena Vista Social Club album on and over two joints I got to listen to the whole thing, in the smoking room, on my own, it was a divine start to the day. In the afternoon I meet up with YoungDoc and went to Grey Area (which hadn't burned down ^_^) and I got some Exodus Cheese, then went back to the Bluebird, he got some temple ball which didn't look great. Our next destinationa was 1e Hulp for more hash and this time I tried the 24k and Kosher Kush, the KK was REALLY heavy, great for a nightcap. Still think the GG is the best hash they have for the stoned. After that we went to Massawa and I got a little more of the Royal and soaked up a little more of Moroccan vibes.

Day 6
Another day and more Utopia, went for the Cheese Cookies again and spent some time chilling there, went to Voyagers for some Amnesia after, mentioned it in the coffeeshops review but it never ceases to amaze me how good a well grown Amnesia still manages to hold up against the newer strains. After a little nap I spent most of the evening in the hostel smoking room on a mission from god to finish all my hash before my departure. Not as many stoners in the hostel as usual but I did have a couple in my room (German speakers) who literally spent the whole time I was there either in bed or in the hostel smoking room with a load of bags of different . Props to the randomers keeping it lit.

Day 7
After 6 nights, it was nice waking up on Day 7 and not being really depressed about going home. I think with shorter trips
you feel like you didn't get to do enough, but with a week I had a great chance to go to lots of places and go through
a lot of strains. To close out I went to Siberie in the morning for some Jesus OG, from there I went to Utopia for some
Tangie Dream and to say goodbye. Both lovely smokes, the Jesus OG especially hit the sport and was €11/g or €12/g I think.
After floating around a bit I went into Get Down To It for a few pipes, before grabbing my bag from the hostel and getting
the bus from Leidseplein to the airport. Blazed up a Cheese Cookies joint outside the airport to say goodbye to Amsterdam
and it was back to the little green island for me!

I should add that this whole trip was peppered with canal joints, vondel joints and AH stops. AH Vers Sap for the win!

image hosting api
upload pic

Next Stop: Barcelona Jan 6th....

Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Free Ben

Re: Christmas in Amsterdam

Post by Free Ben »

Nice write up, cheers RoMoney.
You got to sample a fair few strains anyway :mrgreen:
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Fantastic stuff - thanks for writing that up I really enjoyed it. Inspired me to make the pilgrammage myself one year I reckon (not sure that my GF will like that one).

I was totally with you in the Bluebird smoking room listening to BVSC. What an album - sublime moments always seem to happen in the BB smoking room. it's a magical place :D
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Nice TR...you sure got plenty of flavours and destinations in! Good work man.

I've never done more than 1 night solo in AMS and 4 nights with a partner...totally get that a longer trip means less blues when departing (but more money of course!) Need to do at least 4 days for 420.
Mr Incognito

Post by Mr Incognito »

Nice one @RoMoney! Looking forward to your Barca trip report!
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Great TR, brood bar is lekker,
Nice pics

Matty223
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

RoMoney wrote: Sat 30th Dec 2017 11:53 am So folks, here goes my first Travelogue......Christmas in Amsterdam.....bit of a struggle to remember the timeline, but between photos, WhatsApp and ACD chat I've pieced it together.

Next Stop: Barcelona Jan 6th....
Well done, Sir!

Can't wait for Barcelona report!!
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

Top marks there RoMoney. Be in touch in the new year. :D

I like the way you move !!!
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
Dave near London

Post by Dave near London »

Excellent , well presented and illustrated report.

How was your Hotel Abba stay earlier on ?
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

OneHighMofo wrote: Sat 30th Dec 2017 01:11 pm Fantastic stuff - thanks for writing that up I really enjoyed it. Inspired me to make the pilgrammage myself one year I reckon (not sure that my GF will like that one).

I was totally with you in the Bluebird smoking room listening to BVSC. What an album - sublime moments always seem to happen in the BB smoking room. it's a magical place :D
Thank you for the G13 vaping recommendation!
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

sNc wrote: Sat 30th Dec 2017 01:15 pm I've never done more than 1 night solo in AMS and 4 nights with a partner...totally get that a longer trip means less blues when departing (but more money of course!) Need to do at least 4 days for 420.
Yeah, it did require stringent budgeting and I couldn't afford a blow out day (which is easy to have over there), but I managed fine.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Dave near London wrote: Sat 30th Dec 2017 04:40 pm How was your Hotel Abba stay earlier on ?
Never stayed in the Abba, as I've been going solo this year or with a friend I've been hostelling it up. I save too much with the hostels to make a hotel worthwhile, so if I'm not with a lady, won't be booking a hotel for a while again :mrgreen:
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

choppermike wrote: Sat 30th Dec 2017 03:21 pm Top marks there RoMoney. Be in touch in the new year. :D
Cheers man, hope the Christmas treated you well!
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Nice read Ro, hope to see more in future! :mrgreen:

Are you originally Moroccan btw?
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Sun 31st Dec 2017 09:45 am Are you originally Moroccan btw?
No, I'm a Celt :D I just been there a few times and really like the place. Hopefully going back in 2018.