Lemming and Ruth's World Tour of the Netherlands June 05

After (or during) your trip, post your report here.
Lemming
Site Admin

Lemming and Ruth's World Tour of the Netherlands June 05

Post by Lemming »

Lemming and Ruth’s World Tour of the Netherlands June 05

Pictures by Ruth

For our first two nights I’d booked us into the Old Quarter hotel on Warmoesstraat, Amsterdam. It’s so named because Warmoesstraat is the oldest street in Amsterdam. Originally it would have had wooden buildings alongside the Amstel river. The river no longer flows this way but its former course is marked by the Damrak basin.

I like staying in the centre of the action and the view over the Damrak from the hotel window is always interesting.

Image Damrak

Other than that, Old Quarter is typical of hotels in this area by being adequate but nothing special considering the price. You pay for the location.

Our first coffeeshop call was Hunters Bar because it’s right next to the hotel. This was our first trip to the Netherlands since quitting tobacco so I bought some Outdoor Purple Haze for 4 euros and rolled a pure joint. This is a not-too-potent high sativa variety with a nice taste that wouldn’t immobilise us too early in the day.

With a nice buzz on we wandered into Baba Souvenir shop and stared at the vast array of pipes. I contemplated getting a Bud Bomb as my Volcano is not very portable. The price in Baba’s was better than other places around the centre.

The southern half of Warmoesstraat is not very interesting and a better route to Dam Square is to take one of the turnings towards the back of the Old Church (Oude Kerk), opposite the gay cinema, and into the Red Light District or into Oudebrugsteeg by Baba’s coffeeshop.

Image Oudebrugsteeg from Warmoesstraat towards Damrak

We took the latter option across the Oude Brug (Old Bridge) and Damrak into Nieuwendijk where there are lots more shops to ogle at. Continuing onto Haarlemmerstraat we popped into Pink Floyd for another joint and a coffee.

Later I picked up some Cantalope Haze from Greenhouse Effect and established a habit that was to continue for the rest of the tour – rolling pure joints made with high-grade sativas, such as Hazes, padded out with natural sativas like Thai and Jamaican.

That evening we checked out The Coin and popped into the big Conscious Dreams on Warmoesstraat for some herbal ecstasy. Later we were sitting in Sheeba and fancied a beer so we crossed the road to Het Oerwood. We’d never been there before, but it sells alcohol and Sheeba doesn’t. It is much more of a bar than a coffeeshop with an unremarkable menu but that was perfect as we had plenty of good grass and wanted a beer. The cheesy music wasn’t encouraging though.

Waking up too late for the hotel breakfast, we decided to head for Paradox, a quieter alternative to Barney’s these days. Had some nice vegeburgers and a joint to start the day.

From here it was back across the centre to Basjoe to meet regular correspondent “Epsilon”. Over several more joints, Epsilon entertained us with stories of the West Virginian mountains and Leewarden, a town that we were to visit the next day.

The next few hours were pretty hazy as we staggered around several headshops and into de Kuil for a beer and a smoke. Later we popped into Bassment, the coffeeshop underneath the Red Light Bar right in the middle of the Red Light District.

Before long we were back at de Kuil where we got some nice Sage. Following the trail of shops on Nieuwendijk led us to Freeworld where we stopped for another drink and joint before a final stop at Hill Street Blues.

The next day it was time for the tour to begin exploring new territory. On our journey north we had to change trains at Amersfoort so we decided to take a look around. With no map and no sense we set forth on a vague quest for coffeeshops.

There was a big map outside the south side of the station that suggested we needed to turn left towards the old town centre, veering right before the road crossed the railway. After walking a short distance we spotted an unexpected railway bridge up ahead and everyone veering to the right down a small turning.

After a long detour around a residential district we eventually found the old centre ...

Image Hof, Amersfoort

... and the coffeeshop Trenchtown.

Image Trenchtown

Returning to the station we passed straight through to the north side and again managed to find the longest possible route, this time to coffeeshop The Zoo.

At least we found our way back to the station easily enough and were soon completing our journey to Leeuwarden and our home for the next two nights, the Bilderberg Oranje Hotel.

This is a smart hotel costing less than a basic place in Amsterdam. All of our hotels were booked through the bookings service on the site . Leeuwarden is the capital of the northwestern province of Friesland, which is proudly famous for its Friesian cows.

Image Friesland

Walking up Grote Hoogstraat, a street lined with bars, later that evening, I was struck by how quiet it was on the street. There were plenty of people in the bars but the noise didn’t seem to spill put onto the street in contrast to UK cities or even Amsterdam.

We got to Repelsteeltje, de Os and Downtown that night, all of which are nice coffeeshops.

Leeuwarden is famous for its leaning tower, Oldehove. It also has a bigger, modern tower called Avero-toren.

ImageLeeuwarden

Whilst in the north, we took a ride to Groningen

Image Groningen

where we checked out Metamorphose coffeeshop.

From the north we headed to the extreme south and Maastricht. Here we stayed in a nice old hotel near to the station called Le Roi.

Image Maastricht

In Maastricht we checked out the famous Kosbor, which has an excellent menu, the quality of which is reflected in the permanent queue at the weed counter. Best of all, though, was Heaven, an extraordinary place with food, space and a beautiful environment.

On our return journey we stopped off in Utrecht. The route out of the station took us through a shopping centre and a market on our way to the famous sunken Oudegracht (Old Canal). The canal has several restaurants and coffeeshops both at canal level and on the street above.

Image Oudegracht, Utrecht

Sarasani and No Name were both closed and Andersom only allows entry if you buy weed on your way in. I’ve always objected to this practice but, apparently, it’s normal in Utrecht. Later we stopped in Wietstok.

That night we stayed in Alkmaar in another smart hotel, Best Western Amrâth.

Image Alkmaar

Just beyond the town’s little Red Light District we found coffeeshop De Brug on a corner at the edge of the old town. Later we visited Anytime.

Finally we had to return to Amsterdam for the flight home. For some reason there were no trains running so we had to catch a bus via Purmerend. We still managed to squeeze in some shopping and visits to Double Reggae and Nes though.
Last edited by Lemming on Sun 23rd Oct 2005 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Great pics Ruth and travelougue Lemming...odd we both got round to it the same day...whats the trick of adding pics ?
Lemming
Site Admin

HOW TO

Post by Lemming »

If you want to know how to make your travelogue look like this one, try these tips.

How to make links to ACD coffeeshop pages:

1. Click with the right mouse button on the body of the coffeeshop page (not on a picture or link). A pop-up menu should appear.

2. Click on properties and you should get a dialog like this:

Where it says address is a URL like this one for Baba coffeeshop:

Code: Select all

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Baba.html
3. Copy this to the main address box at the top of your browser (use select, copy and paste) and click go. This will re-load the page without the side menu but with a big message saying please click here.

4. Click where it says please click here. You should now be back where you started with the side menu and the coffeeshop page you started on. The difference is that the address box at the top of your browser now contains a special URL like this:

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Baba.html
5. Include this URL in your post as follows:

[url=https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Baba.html]Baba[/url]
which will display like this: Baba.

Phew! All that for a little link.

How to include a picture in your post:

1. You must find somewhere to host your picture. You may have some free web space from your ISP or you can use a service from the likes of MSN or Yahoo. Many posters use a service called Photobucket, mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

2. Include the URL of the picture as follows:

[img]https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/ForumPics/URL.gif[/img].
Boner

Post by Boner »

Excellent report Lemming, cheers for the time and effort!!
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Valo

Post by Valo »

Great report Lemming and love the quality of the pics (any more you can share with us?) - beats my slightly out of focus camera phone any day!!

Utrecht seems like a unique town with a canal level and street level, certainly makes me want a trip there next time, although I agree that entry with purchase only is a little harsh.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us and some useful information - I never knew Warmoesstraat was the oldest street!
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
mazdog

Post by mazdog »

nice writeup man!

that sunken canal looks awesome.
X

Post by X »

Amazing, lemming..

I think I came while reading your report :-/ so many shops, so many different cities.. will definatly organize something of the sort in my later life :)

keep it up Lems!

Peace,
Scott.
lk ultra

Post by lk ultra »

Great stuff mate - thanks a lot.
a virus with shoes
sonicblue

Post by sonicblue »

Awesome pics there.

I think on my next visit I just may attempt a post like yours as it is indeed extreme!!!
My thoughts are free.
Weed is a deed

Post by Weed is a deed »

good report, props man.

Use it in an upcoming update on your site. You'll be god!.