The Wheel Is Turning And You Cant Slow Down.

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
spidergawd

The Wheel Is Turning And You Cant Slow Down.

Post by spidergawd »

I feel a bike trip coming on. :crazy:

I think a last minute number as the weather is just all over the place. So I'll watch the forecasts and if a good patch comes up in late June or early July then me and the trusty old fiets will be on the ferry toot sweet. Translation, "that nights sailing or next morning". :D

2007, Middle of the Alfsluitdijk. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afsluitdijk
Note low tech navigation and safety equipment round neck. (Compass and Whistle) I'm a serious biker, I dont muck about. :P :thumbup:

Alfsluitdijk.

Just me and the bike though now, my old mate Gerry (good looking one in the red t shirt) got a bit hard work on that trip so I like now to groove in solitary communion with the delights of the Dutch countryside. :D 8) And they are lovely, and they really bring out the flower hugger :wink: .

Breakfast stop between Ferry and Blue and White coffeeshop in sheveningen.2012
Last edited by spidergawd on Thu 16th Jun 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a long strange trip it is.
macky

Re: The Wheel Is Turning And You Cant Slow Down.

Post by macky »

Sounds fun ...Keep on trucking ,with sweet Jane :wink:
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Keep on Peddling my friend :mrgreen: , and keep the wind to your back :lol: then report back here :)
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
gapie

Post by gapie »

:mrgreen:
GetHigh,DoStuff&Dont give a FUCK!
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

Nice bike
I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
ftcarer

Post by ftcarer »

:mrgreen: Get the trip booked mate :mrgreen:
Sending out the good vibes to those that need them right now :-)
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Sounds like fun – hope there'll be pics. I'm thinking of doing a final trip to NL via the Dutch Flyer and Zwolle/Groningen, but not sure if I'd dare to take the bike.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

@Spidergawd

Sounds great! All the best for your trip then :D !

@FatOldDwarf

Haven't you guys even planned a trip together? If it's really your last(and last and last ad infinitum :mrgreen: )why not going by bike and making it an epic trip? Even though am a strong cyclist myself too(lightweight compared to some
mates though)I never cycled around in the Netherlands despite hundred of stopps. Embarassingly to say the very least but one day I'll change that for sure(mate is in the pipeline as I definitely need direction and back up when off my face cycling as quite clumsy anyway :lol: ).
For what ever you decide enjoy it to the max!
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

cheers for the encouraging messages friends. :D So l reckon the time has come to do this trip. Reckoning on Tuesday 21st. night ferry.

Apart from the fact that cycling the long bike routes in Holland is probably one of my favourite things to do, if a trip also has purpose then it is so much more rewarding. So I'll also be raising some money through sponsorship for a local grassroots group thats working tirelessly to provide some comfort for Refugee Mothers and Children arriving, mostly in a pitiful condition on our European shores.

I'm aiming to do about 5 days cycling but that will depend on how I feel, and of course the weather which I cant do much about.
This is also a personal challenge for me as I have cancer and am ln the middle of a 6 month cycle of chemotherapy, my second lot, had a 5 month break :thumbup: . So I have to time the trip for my good days between treatments.
Anyway I'm feeling pretty up for it and really looking forward to the peace and tranquility of riding the Fietspads through the dunes and flower fields, after a nice Dutch wake and bake. Better stick with the hazy stuff for the biking and hit the kush at the end of the day. :mrgreen:
I dont plan on doing long distances but limiting myself to a comfortable 25 km or so on cycling days, which I'm doing locally fairly comfortably at the moment and from which I recharge quite quickly, so evening CS visits will definitely be on :shock: Planning on doing daily updates but haven't worked out yet how to upload pics to the forum direct from my phone, but one of my grandaughters is going to teach me how to do it this weekend. :D

As for the bike Slip, it's really old but refurbished over the years and it's done a good few Dutch kilometers. I've got a couple of extra small panniers for the front for this trip so less weight at the back wheel, I think it might be more comfortable shifting a bit of ballast into the bow tanks.

And I aim to keep the wind behind me Will, with the aid of my smartarse phone I can plot the weather, my route and with the booking.com app I can book a hotel when I've decided where I'm heading for the day. :thumbup: :-D

Just do it Fat old dwarfy. Theres plenty of hostels and B&Bs for a budget trip, and it cant possibly be dearer than Amsterdam. So what are you doing from next Tuesday? :-D

Sweet Jane Macky, the power behind the pedals. :D

Tell her I'm going FT and I'll send her a postcard. :D :D

If I get to Amsterdam we'll have a toke Stan for sure :D, I reckon I'll pass by. Besides I want to have a look at that port26 coffeeshop. :idea:

Jess, sometimes kid ya just gotta live wild and free. :roll: :thumbup:

So Tuesday night Ferry, hit the Noordzeeroute first thing Wednesday. http://www.holland-cycling.com/where-to ... rdzeeroute Thats the plan. :idea:
ftcarer

Post by ftcarer »

spidergawd wrote:Apart from the fact that cycling the long bike routes in Holland is probably one of my favourite things to do, if a trip also has purpose then it is so much more rewarding. So I'll also be raising some money through sponsorship for a local grassroots group thats working tirelessly to provide some comfort for Refugee Mothers and Children arriving, mostly in a pitiful condition on our European shores.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: excellent news matey :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now as we discussed at the weekend (stoned as we were I do remember :wink: ) & as you haven't added it yet & seeing as your own daughter has put her own life on hold to travel to help said refugees & you doing this bike ride, if you could just also post up a link to the charity sponsorship page that you are doing this for (along with the personal fuck you to cancer fuck it from us to) that would be great :wink: :mrgreen: donating needs to be done :mrgreen: see you when you're back :mrgreen:
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Get that trip booked - Sending lots of positive vibes your way big man :)
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

@Spidergawd

Now more than ever, get well soon! This trip will do you good as cycling is such a fountain of youth(one mate in his sixties is a enthusiastic cyclist around the globe since decades and is looking like in his fourties :D )! Any more certain plans which area you explore?
Whereever you go as said enjoy your trip!
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Cool, so heres the details of the group the funds are for. The only thing they need cash for is shipping and for that they collaborate with a multitude of other groups to fill and send a 40ft. container as and when, but they try to get one out a month.

https://www.youcaring.com/chios-refugee-aid-541259
Thats my daughter fitting a baby carrier. So appreciated when you come up the beach with traumatised children clinging to you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1286677891348909/
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

I hope this stuff isn't too off piste for the ACD, the fund raising, refugees and that stuff. A one off and am responding to FT & co. and a few other members. :mrgreen:
Next week a regular travelog. I'm reading Don Quixoti at the mo, so l might call it "Tilting at Windmills" or something, l think my old nag of a bike is already called Rocinante. Cheers :D
ftcarer

Post by ftcarer »

:mrgreen: nice 1 :mrgreen: