Mixed Feelings for my March trip

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
djreign

Mixed Feelings for my March trip

Post by djreign »

My lovely wife booked me flights as a Christmas gift as instructed so all booked in for 2nd - 6th March. Trip 28 I believe.

Upon telling a good friend who lives in Amsterdam, and I'd not heard from for a few months he advised me he'd be looking forward to hooking up. However, he'd had a bad few months.

After more questions, it transpires his daughter, who'd beaten leukemia last year, had taken a bad turn and left us at the end of the year. He then told me he'd himself been diagnosed with cancer which has now spread to 3 places. Prognosis is not good but he has another scan in Feb so praying for better news. A bad few months is a fucking understatement.

We worked together for many years at a media agency in Kensington, London. We had so much fun, so much drink and did some good work. It's so sad it's coming to this. I told the other member of our team, who now lives in Syndey and he'd booked his flights in minutes.

So now, what was planned as a trip for me to try lots of new strains and read a couple of books has turned into an old team outing and a likely last goodbye to a dear friend.

Not sure why I've posted all this info, call it cathartic, called it stoned emotions and just wanting to talk about it, I don't know? I hope I havent bummed anyone out? He's a great guy, who's had a great life and is still smiling now.

But as I said at the beginning a trip I am really looking forward to and one I'm unlikely to forget.

macky

Re: Mixed Feelings for my March trip

Post by macky »

Sad to hear about your mate. This is the stuff that reminds us life is short. As a man far smarter then me said "Do not go into that good night ,Rage ,Rage against the dying of the light"
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

life.....
no one gets out alive

sorry to hear of the pain
djreign

Post by djreign »

Thanks for the kind replies. Macky, I'm confident he will rage until the last second and WWCitizen, I'd never heard that, I've googled as I really like it. Morrison?
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

djreign wrote:Thanks for the kind replies. Macky, I'm confident he will rage until the last second and WWCitizen, I'd never heard that, I've googled as I really like it. Morrison?
: )
Morrison
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

djreign wrote: He's a great guy, who's had a great life and is still smiling now.

But as I said at the beginning a trip I am really looking forward to and one I'm unlikely to forget.
"Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, Advanced a stage or two upon that road Which you must travel in the steps they trod." - Aristophanes

It will be hard, but you'll get to shake his hand, look him in the eye, and share a moment of friendship and love when you say good-bye!
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Thankyou for sharing you thoughts and feelings. My heart goes out to your mate, to lose a child is the cruellest twist. Sending out positive vibes for his February scan and the future.

We just gotta keep on truckin guys. :D
What a long strange trip it is.