In Amsterdam for the eighteenth of my brother (3-6 April)

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
bubblegum84

In Amsterdam for the eighteenth of my brother (3-6 April)

Post by bubblegum84 »

Hello guys. In April 4, my younger brother turns 18 and what better gift if not a trip to Amsterdam?
We will stay four days in a House Boat in Ijdok. I have so many coffeeshops on my wish list, but ahead of all is surely the 1e Hulp, then there are other 5 or 6 I want to visit: Barney's, Green House, the Superskunk, the Boerejongens, the Mr. K, the Bushdocter and others. But I will not only visit the coffeeshops, I would visit the Cannabis College, the Marijuana Museum and I'd like to visit other attractions but still do not know what. I have also fixed stops for munchies: The Pancake Bakery and Wurts & Schintzelhaus are two of these. Hoping for good weather I would also visit the major parks. I would also like to spend a day in Rotterdam but I'm not sure.
If you have any suggestions for me I would be happy to know them.
Thank's!

Budtendering is my dream job!
OneHighMofo

Re: In Amsterdam for the eighteenth of my brother (3-6 April)

Post by OneHighMofo »

bubblegum84 wrote: Sat 11th Feb 2017 12:57 pm Hello guys. In April 4, my younger brother turns 18 and what better gift if not a trip to Amsterdam?
We will stay four days in a House Boat in Ijdok. I have so many coffeeshops on my wish list, but ahead of all is surely the 1e Hulp, then there are other 5 or 6 I want to visit: Barney's, Green House, the Superskunk, the Boerejongens, the Mr. K, the Bushdocter and others. But I will not only visit the coffeeshops, I would visit the Cannabis College, the Marijuana Museum and I'd like to visit other attractions but still do not know what. I have also fixed stops for munchies: The Pancake Bakery and Wurts & Schintzelhaus are two of these. Hoping for good weather I would also visit the major parks. I would also like to spend a day in Rotterdam but I'm not sure.
Thank's!
Just an opinion - but I'd only go in Barney's if I enjoyed paying €18p/g for the quality of bud you can buy elsewhere for less than €12. To be fair to them and Greenhouse they do have strains you might not find elsewhere (that often) but personally I'd strike them from the list and hit Siberie, Voyagers. Utopia, Rookies, Dampkring and the others you've mentioned instead.

Coffeeshop Superskunk is still BIG-TIME on my shit list too as it is still (as of October) one of the only places in town you can buy bud grown with fake flavour additives (apple and strawberry varieties for all your throat cancer needs). Which the BT's will invariably offer you first. Not cool.
bubblegum84

Post by bubblegum84 »

OneHighMofo wrote: Sat 11th Feb 2017 01:54 pm
bubblegum84 wrote: Sat 11th Feb 2017 12:57 pm Hello guys. In April 4, my younger brother turns 18 and what better gift if not a trip to Amsterdam?
Thank's!
Just an opinion - but I'd only go in Barney's if I enjoyed paying €18p/g for the quality of bud you can buy elsewhere for less than €12. To be fair to them and Greenhouse they do have strains you might not find elsewhere (that often) but personally I'd strike them from the list and hit Siberie, Voyagers. Utopia, Rookies, Dampkring and the others you've mentioned instead.

Coffeeshop Superskunk is still BIG-TIME on my shit list too as it is still (as of October) one of the only places in town you can buy bud grown with fake flavour additives (apple and strawberry varieties for all your throat cancer needs). Which the BT's will invariably offer you first. Not cool.
Ok thank's for the suggestions! But I must remind you that, for my brother, will be the first time and that Barney's and Greenhouse are two stages that can not jump. Voyagers, Siberie and Dampkring were already on my list. I will cut off the Superskunk immediately!
Last edited by bubblegum84 on Sun 12th Feb 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
matty223

Post by matty223 »

bubblegum84 wrote: Sat 11th Feb 2017 06:42 pm
OneHighMofo wrote: Sat 11th Feb 2017 01:54 pm
Thank's!

Ok thank's for the suggestions! But I must remind you that, for my brother, will be the first time and that Barney's and Greenhouse are two stages that can not jump. Voyagers, Siberia and Dampkring were already on my list. I will cut off the Superskunk immediately!
Utopia
bubblegum84

Post by bubblegum84 »

Ok now my list has changed: in addition to those mentioned before I will add Utopia and Rookies. Instead suggestions for places to calm the munchies and attractions to visit?
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Don't leave Paradox off the list!

I recommend a nice little walk through parts of the Jordaan as follows:

Start at Barney's on Harlemerstrast. Finish there and ease over to Winkle for apple pie. Then saunter down to Paradox for more goodies (and perhaps a brownie). Then walk over to Wust for scnitzle. Stop at Easy Times for after dinner coffee and smoke (althoughbyou could pop over to Rookies). Then grin and walk up to Utopia to end the evening.

That would be a good day.
bubblegum84

Post by bubblegum84 »

LLMReb wrote: Sun 12th Feb 2017 03:04 am Don't leave Paradox off the list!

I recommend a nice little walk through parts of the Jordaan as follows:

Start at Barney's on Harlemerstrast. Finish there and ease over to Winkle for apple pie. Then saunter down to Paradox for more goodies (and perhaps a brownie). Then walk over to Wust for scnitzle. Stop at Easy Times for after dinner coffee and smoke (althoughbyou could pop over to Rookies). Then grin and walk up to Utopia to end the evening.

That would be a good day.

Wow that's a nice program! But for "Wust" you mean the "Wurst & Schintzelhaus"? Paradox was already on the list. My complete list for now: 420 Cafè, Abraxas, Amnesia, Barney's, Boerejongens, Eerste Hulp, Funky Munkey, Bagheera, Club media, La Grotte, Mr K, Rusland, Siberië, The Bushdocter, Green House, Grey Area, Voyagers, Kadinsky, Katsu, De Kade, Dampkring, Paradox, Rookies, Utopia.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Agh-my bad; finger typing. Thanks! Yes, Wurst. Great food and great times! I sprinkle it into all my trip reports if you can find a few.

Only knock against Wurst is when I'm in AMS, i prefer the creamy smoothness of Heineken over other beers. Wurst only carries German beers. When I'm in Germany, I like a German beer. When I'm in AMS, I like a Dutch beer.

Hmm, this post got me to thinking of the post about bringing weed to a coffeeshop. I wouldn't dream of bringing a Heineen to Wurst, but I'd sure like to do so.

After rereading my own post, I may need to do that walk myself. But I'd do it in a Sat. or Mon. so that I could enjoy the outdoor market at the church outside Winkle.

But seriously, you are strolling around AMS. Appreciate it. You are going to have a good time regardless. You walk around a virtual outdoor museum and purchase fresh weed off menus. I'm not sure what Heaven is like, but AMS surely is not far from it.
bubblegum84

Post by bubblegum84 »

LLMReb wrote: Sun 12th Feb 2017 05:18 pm Agh-my bad; finger typing. Thanks! Yes, Wurst. Great food and great times! I sprinkle it into all my trip reports if you can find a few.

Only knock against Wurst is when I'm in AMS, i prefer the creamy smoothness of Heineken over other beers. Wurst only carries German beers. When I'm in Germany, I like a German beer. When I'm in AMS, I like a Dutch beer.

Hmm, this post got me to thinking of the post about bringing weed to a coffeeshop. I wouldn't dream of bringing a Heineen to Wurst, but I'd sure like to do so.

After rereading my own post, I may need to do that walk myself. But I'd do it in a Sat. or Mon. so that I could enjoy the outdoor market at the church outside Winkle.

But seriously, you are strolling around AMS. Appreciate it. You are going to have a good time regardless. You walk around a virtual outdoor museum and purchase fresh weed off menus. I'm not sure what Heaven is like, but AMS surely is not far from it.
Thanks for the tips! And you have other suggestions for food? Or places to have fun?
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

Check out the food forum for good food. Lots of discussion about the best hamburger, best breakfast, and best Indonesian.

I like Cafe Wheels on Wolvenstraat for a good lunch place. Also Cafe t'Gashuys for lunch. Eetcafe Carel's is good over near the Begjinhoff, too. My wife is a vegetarian, and even she gets a kick out of the vegetarian menu there (bread and butter). She eats the tomato soup, which is really good.

Fun? The most fun that I have in AMS is people watching. I'll give you a few spots that are favorites:

1. Rembrandt Cafe on Rembrandtsplein. Get a little table and enjoy people watching all day.

2. Bench on a canal where the paddle boats come by. You watch for 1 hour, you will see all sorts of poorly guided paddle boats. On at least 2 occasions that experience provided me with a good hour of laughing.

3. To relax and enjoy the day, this spot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3677788 ... 312!8i6656

which is here (Groenburgwaal and 's-Gravelandseveer):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Amste ... d4.8951679

Have a great time!
bubblegum84

Post by bubblegum84 »

LLMReb wrote: Sun 12th Feb 2017 07:20 pm Check out the food forum for good food. Lots of discussion about the best hamburger, best breakfast, and best Indonesian.

I like Cafe Wheels on Wolvenstraat for a good lunch place. Also Cafe t'Gashuys for lunch. Eetcafe Carel's is good over near the Begjinhoff, too. My wife is a vegetarian, and even she gets a kick out of the vegetarian menu there (bread and butter). She eats the tomato soup, which is really good.

Fun? The most fun that I have in AMS is people watching. I'll give you a few spots that are favorites:

1. Rembrandt Cafe on Rembrandtsplein. Get a little table and enjoy people watching all day.

2. Bench on a canal where the paddle boats come by. You watch for 1 hour, you will see all sorts of poorly guided paddle boats. On at least 2 occasions that experience provided me with a good hour of laughing.

3. To relax and enjoy the day, this spot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3677788 ... 312!8i6656

which is here (Groenburgwaal and 's-Gravelandseveer):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Amste ... d4.8951679

Have a great time!
Thanks a lot man!