Early July, couple questions

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
CopenhagenCouple

Re: Early July, couple questions

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Xenos wrote: Thu 18th May 2017 06:53 pm
Since it appears to be the terpenes which are (to my understanding--I'm a relative novice when it comes to flowers) secreted as accompanying oils in the trichomes, it would not be the case that hash is essentially smoother. I had *hoped* (was doubtful though) the harshness of smoke came from the unnecessary part of the plant material, and thus hash would be smoother.

I can smoke just about anything, and aside from getting too fucked up to remember which way is up in a CS, I'm not too concerned for myself regarding this. Just trying to identify the optimal strains/hashes for my wife to try. Suppose I'll have to test-smoke everything for her. Oh, darn... ;)

With respect to the first part, you do seem to have a very good grasp of the basics for a newbie, and indeed the terps (at least those in the dried flower) should be concentrated somewhat in the hash as it does aim at concentrating the trics in the final product. There are a lot of complicating factors however as terps are quite volatile substances and prone to either break down to secondary compounds, or “transform” in some process into other terps or similar substances. There was quite an interesting paper quoted on this subject recently on the forum, but can’t be bothered to search for it, interesting reading though.

Anyway, both the process of making the hash and certainly the specific type has great influence on what you can expect to experience smoking one of these products. For a direct recommendation we would pick Laila from Tweede Kamer (or Dampkring 2 at Haarlemmerstraat), but be careful with this one as it is quite potent. It is very smooth and nice though, with very pleasant effects. Alternatively a smooth Asian such as Nepal Temple Balls from e.g. Bluebird would also be a very good pick. In our experiences especially high quality Asian hashes are very easy to smoke, have good “first timer effects” and just taste very yummy. :D

Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

[quote=X
Last edited by ed the head on Fri 26th May 2017 07:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who tries to shine dims his own light
Xenos

Post by Xenos »

New set of questions.

We had been planning a day trip to Bruges, but because it costs so much (we are trying to do our trip on the leaner side of expenditures) and it appears to be basically set up for tourists to see the town square, we opted not to spend over two hundred euros on just a day trip.

We are instead looking at exploring the Netherlands beyond Amsterdam. Last time we were here, we actually stayed at a resort near Edam (if I recall, correctly, it's been a while). We're currently looking at exploring Utrecht and/or perhaps Leiden/Rotterdam (they're close enough together we could probably explore both in a day).

Questions I have:
1. Is it safe to carry gear on trains? I've looked, and the CSes outside of the Dam generally don't seem particularly worthwhile to go to, so I would prefer to bring our own (while I'm sure there are excellent ones out there). I assume it's fine, public transit and all--only maybe ought to worry if the train was destined to cross a border.
2. Is it safe to smoke publicly in those places? I know Amsterdam has an official policy of "As long as you're not blowing smoke into a kid's face" kind of thing. However, I could not readily find info on other towns regarding public smoking. Although I'm under the impression that nothing terribly bad would happen, I would prefer not having a discussion with authorities nor pissing off the local Dutch friends.
3. Is there any place besides Utrecht, Leiden, and Rotterdam you could perhaps recommend? We don't care much for museums (we'll go to major ones like the Rijksmuseum, but we don't need to see the museum of steam trains), but more so on wandering towns with unique aesthetics (public art like statues, architecture, building ornaments, awesome canals, etc.). We also enjoy buying art that doesn't cost three arms and a leg (if the starting price is over €500 for a 15x15cm, that's too much for us). I've located a decent gallery in Utrecht, however we also enjoy places like Paris' Montmatre Artist's square (artists selling on their own in the streets).
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

Xenos wrote: Fri 26th May 2017 09:35 am ...
Questions I have:
1. Is it safe to carry gear on trains? I've looked, and the CSes outside of the Dam generally don't seem particularly worthwhile to go to, so I would prefer to bring our own (while I'm sure there are excellent ones out there). I assume it's fine, public transit and all--only maybe ought to worry if the train was destined to cross a border.
2. Is it safe to smoke publicly in those places? I know Amsterdam has an official policy of "As long as you're not blowing smoke into a kid's face" kind of thing. However, I could not readily find info on other towns regarding public smoking. Although I'm under the impression that nothing terribly bad would happen, I would prefer not having a discussion with authorities nor pissing off the local Dutch friends.
3. Is there any place besides Utrecht, Leiden, and Rotterdam you could perhaps recommend? We don't care much for museums (we'll go to major ones like the Rijksmuseum, but we don't need to see the museum of steam trains), but more so on wandering towns with unique aesthetics (public art like statues, architecture, building ornaments, awesome canals, etc.). We also enjoy buying art that doesn't cost three arms and a leg (if the starting price is over €500 for a 15x15cm, that's too much for us). I've located a decent gallery in Utrecht, however we also enjoy places like Paris' Montmatre Artist's square (artists selling on their own in the streets).

1. By 'gear' you mean cannabis? If so, yes it's safe if it's stored away. All those destinations are local, no cross border.

2. I've only visited Amsterdam, Harlem, Den Hague, Leiden, Lisse, Katwyk and Brugge. Seems to me the further you stray from Amsterdam Central District, the more discretion is required. I find it helpful to be aware of the people around you, if they're not smoking, do it elsewhere.

3. I am glad I went to all the above listed destinations and I am sure to want to see more of the Netherlands, like Nijmegen and Groningen. One thing I will repeat about Leiden is bring you 'gear' because the CS don't open until 17:00. It's a beautiful, historic city with a great University vibe.
He who tries to shine dims his own light
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I highly recommend the Abandoned Art store in AMS. It is on the Singel near Cafe Van Zuylen. They take in art from closed museums and galleries, provide the provenance, and just want you to provide it with a good home. We have some great artists proofs and small litho productions from there. I think the official name is OODE.

http://www.oode.nl/

We are big fans of Leiden. I sat outside and smoked in the evenings there along the nice canals and Rhine River. In Leiden, we are super fans of Sumatra for Indonesian food.

http://sumatrahouse.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... vince.html

SNC has great trip reports about Leiden.

I enjoyed walking around Delft. Nice little town with interested history. Pretty canals.

I also liked Alkmaar. Neat Dutch town.

Please provide a trip report! Have a great time. Tell the nice blonde at OODE that the couple from Texas says hi.
Xenos

Post by Xenos »

OODE looks fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation, LLMReb. :thumbup:
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

Xenos wrote: Fri 26th May 2017 09:35 am ...
it is usually not acceptable to be smoking in public, so err in that direction if pondering. mid-90's: my brother and i are outside AMS, biking around the wide-open countryside, and we pull into a petrol station that had a mini-market as well. went in, got some quick food and drinks, and began eating at the foodbar area. we pulled out a joint and lit it up. 1/100 of a second later we were informed that wasn't allowed, in NO uncertain terms.
ed the head wrote: Fri 26th May 2017 10:41 am ... like Nijmegen and Groningen.
Groningen is a neat little (university) town (that's not afraid to party)... that sits up north like its own little city-state ("er gaat niets boven Groningen"). has a respectable CS scene, a bit more reasonably priced than AMS. the groninger museum's one fascinating building... Image

http://www.groningermuseum.nl/en

Leeuwarden's another unique town/area...http://www.netherlands-tourism.com/leeuwarden/
...with some unique Canadian history involved...
The city of Leeuwarden endured extensive occupation during the Second World War. In a dramatic turn of events, the Royal Canadian Dragoons attacked, defeated, and drove out the Germans while disobeying direct orders to the contrary. In memory of this heroic event, it is said that the Royal Canadian Dragoons still fly the flag of the city in whatever location they are currently stationed.

have a great trip
Last edited by EasilySuede on Fri 26th May 2017 06:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Meanwhile, the Germans have returned to Leeuwarden – I suspect they're the most tourists, not that the place gets many -- and Canadians are nowhere to be seen.

The train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam goes via Haarlem, den Haag and Delft, so you can break your journey to visit whichever combination you fancy. I wouldn't get overly ambitious, though, and do more than two in a day. You can't really do justice to Rotterdam in a day, as it is rather spread out, and of course it's all very modern, which you may love or hate.
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Fri 26th May 2017 05:43 pm Meanwhile, the Germans have returned to Leeuwarden – I suspect they're the most tourists, not that the place gets many --
most are probably on their way to/from the wadden/friesland islands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisian_Islands
my frisian friend (RIP) here state-side would always make it back for sneek week.
http://www.sneekweek.nl/sneekweek?steID=8&catID=2838

something beachy... much, much closer to AMS... is zandvoort
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zandvoort

...an easy ~ 1.5hr. bike ride from AMS (if the wind's cooperating), via haarlem
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Amsterd ... 711487!3e1

both towns will have coffeeshops to check out
https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/Tx_Zandvoort.html
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

EasilySuede wrote: Fri 26th May 2017 05:01 pmGroningen is a neat little (university) town (that's not afraid to party)... that sits up north like its own little city-state ("er gaat niets boven Groningen"). has a respectable CS scene, a bit more reasonably priced than AMS.
I may make it up there this year -- have been meaning to go since 2012, when I discovered Leeuwarden. Most people in the rest of the country appear to regard that area as about as distant as the Arctic Circle, which is odd. With reference to partying, Leeuwarden seems to have a nightlife that goes on longer than it does in the Dam -- the only place where I've seen happy hour offers from midnight to 1am, and there is or was a coffeeshop open till 3am with an (official) lock-in till 5.
macky

Post by macky »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Sat 27th May 2017 07:20 pm [quote=EasilySuede post_id=406145 time=<a href="tel:1495814500">1495814500</a> user_id=73907]Groningen is a neat little (university) town (that's not afraid to party)... that sits up north like its own little city-state ("er gaat niets boven Groningen"). has a respectable CS scene, a bit more reasonably priced than AMS.
I may make it up there this year -- have been meaning to go since 2012, when I discovered Leeuwarden. Most people in the rest of the country appear to regard that area as about as distant as the Arctic Circle, which is odd. With reference to partying, Leeuwarden seems to have a nightlife that goes on longer than it does in the Dam -- the only place where I've seen happy hour offers from midnight to 1am, and there is or was a coffeeshop open till 3am with an (official) lock-in till 5.

Lock in ! Had to read twice been long time since I heard that 8)
Takes me back to my one and only trip to England ,That cider and hash joints with more tobacco then I had ever
seen in a joint in my life..still grosses me out to this day :D
MinnBobber

Post by MinnBobber »

Xenos,
regarding your wife, I strongly recommend you find a shop with a vaporizer. I brought a travel buddy to LaTertulia for his first ever cannabis experience. They had De Verdamper which has the double benefit of a vaporizer + water conditioning.
Unless your wife, loves tobacco smoke (vs can tolerate it), vaporizing is absolutely the way to go.

Quote from my buddy after a couple vape hits, "I don't think I really felt anything, giggle giggle giggle".
I think LaTertulia's Verdamper has been out of order for awhile so maybe Paradox and their Volcanos is the
best bet.
Vaping tastes really good, it is much lower temp than smoking, and would be a much better experience IMO