Very casual smoker heading to Amsterdam

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
MattS

Very casual smoker heading to Amsterdam

Post by MattS »

Hi guys,

So I used to smoke a lot during my school years and then just stopped once I started college, not through choice really, I just didn't see my old friends anymore. However I met what would become my 2 best mates in college and we took a trip to Amsterdam and a absolutely loved it. I had giggles so and such an intense high that I couldn't physically talk for 30 minutes, all I could do was laugh! Anyway 7 years pass and I decided that now I'm earning good money, I'd go back a few times a year, just on my own.

I've been maybe 5 or 6 times in the last 2 years and I've just booked again to go away on the first weekend in November. I go through the same ritual every time, I order a gandalf style pipe, look up a few coffee shops near my hotel and off I go. However this time I thought I'd ask the advice of you guys since, while I always love my time there, I never find the perfect coffee shop for me.

I'd like quite a large shop, preferably quiet (but not essential) so I can sit on my own, with my pipe and a bag of weed, lots of nice food and just read a book or watch some movies and smoke whenever I feel like it. Without sounding like a moron, I'd like somewhere that looks quite nice and has some real good people I guess. I have to be really quite social and spend half my life in meetings at work and it's nice to just relax while I'm in Amsterdam. I don't mind if the prices are a little higher, I just want a chilled experience :) I always leave my pipe and whatever weed I haven't smoked with the coffee shop too! I mean don't get me wrong, I will sit and talk with anyone, I just like the option of doing my own thing.

Apologies for the essay, I just get so enthusiastic before my trips hahah.

OneHighMofo

Re: Very casual smoker heading to Amsterdam

Post by OneHighMofo »

Welcome good sir.
I can relate to your trips - I also look for similar vibes when travelling solo.
Some of the larger and comfier establishments would be:

- Funky Monkey
- Ibiza
- Easy Times
- Prix D'ami and Cafe 420 (although probably not the relaxing atmosphere you're looking for)

My top tip for a quiet relaxing spot to read a book would be YoYo.
They carry a nice selection of outdoor weeds at good prices perfect for the casual smoker that doesn't want to get totally smashed on strong hydro and make a nice Toastie.
Coffeeshop Solo to the East of Nieuwmarkt might also be a good bet.

De Kade in the south is nice and relaxing - they also offer food.

Have fun - report back if you can :)
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Welcome to the forum.

What dates will you be in Amsterdam?
I'll post you on the Whos In Town page.
You can see who else may be in town and any Toke & Talks that are planned.

I would suggest a 15 minute train ride to Haarlem for something a little different than the Amsterdam coffeeshop scene.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice
Coffeeshop Menus - Let your mouse do the walking
MattS

Post by MattS »

OneHighMofo wrote: Wed 11th Oct 2017 12:32 pm Welcome good sir.
I can relate to your trips - I also look for similar vibes when travelling solo.
Some of the larger and comfier establishments would be:

- Funky Monkey
- Ibiza
- Easy Times
- Prix D'ami and Cafe 420 (although probably not the relaxing atmosphere you're looking for)

My top tip for a quiet relaxing spot to read a book would be YoYo.
They carry a nice selection of outdoor weeds at good prices perfect for the casual smoker that doesn't want to get totally smashed on strong hydro and make a nice Toastie.
Coffeeshop Solo to the East of Nieuwmarkt might also be a good bet.

De Kade in the south is nice and relaxing - they also offer food.

Have fun - report back if you can :)
Some fantastic recommendations, thanks s much. Ibiza looks huge, i'm sure I can find an empty table for 2 in there and de kade and yoyo too :) I'm staying in the regency and i don't mind the walk at all. Though I've just learned via this forum that voyager have incredibly cheap (for central at least) but perfectly suitable double rooms, so booked the next available weekend in march there too :D

As a side note, i've read quite a bit about indoor vs outdoor and i'd love to smoke some of this organic outdoor herb. YoYo aside, I don't see outdoor mentioned on any of the menus though, so i'm assuming it's not very popular? If I can find any, it wont end up being years old will it? haha. I enjoy being high, but it's the process of preparing the bowl, sitting and puffing leisurely on the pipe that I love, so I don't mind if the high is not as intense.
tinky

Post by tinky »

As a side note, i've read quite a bit about indoor vs outdoor and i'd love to smoke some of this organic outdoor herb. YoYo aside, I don't see outdoor mentioned on any of the menus though, so i'm assuming it's not very popular? If I can find any, it wont end up being years old will it? haha. I enjoy being high, but it's the process of preparing the bowl, sitting and puffing leisurely on the pipe that I love, so I don't mind if the high is not as intense.
[/quote]

Mr K +Co sell outdoor for around 8euros also Central coffeeshop and Katsu also spring to mind.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/CoffeeshopMenus.htm
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

La tertulia on the prinsengracht and nearby paradox also carry outdoor and I'm guessing that both places will also be right up your straat.

I can't comment on the age of outdoor product - what I can say is that it's certainly a different shopping experience, if you're used to buying indoor hydro you'll perhaps be unpleasantly surprised by the 'bag appeal' - or lack of it.
Don't be put off - it can be a lovely experience, perhaps best characterised as smooth and gentle(r).
I've found vapourising them to be the best way to get the best from the flavour and high, and at €5-8 p/g typically (and sometimes sold in 0.5 amounts - yoyo or paradox I forget which) they are an inexpensive way to sample an awful lot of flavours if one were so inclined :)
MattS

Post by MattS »

Hahah I absolutely love your style :D Well I've smoked through these giant long pipes for as long as I've been smoking really. We used to hit a lot of bongs and gravity bongs when I was in school but I just love to sit back and puff on a pipe, it's so relaxing :) Having said that, I have such an appreciation for flavour and smell, so will definitely look into vaping. I've always left my pipe there in Amsterdam, since I didn't fancy risking the oil/residue being picked up at the airport. Gifting a £20 pipe to a lowly looking stoner is one thing, but I don't fancy having to give away a vaporiser each time, are they easily transported home?

Thanks for all your insights buddy, enormously appreciated
matty223

Post by matty223 »

Clean it well ,
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

I don't even clean my vaporisers or my bongs anymore. it's probably blasé I know but no-one even looks twice at them at customs
MattS

Post by MattS »

Ohhhh really? Well then! Maybe I'll add a travel vape to my shopping list and then a grinder as well! I've no experience with it at all, when I was in school "vaporising" was a thing of my of legend and apparently got you all sorted of messed up. Is the high really so much stronger? I've always stuck to my pipe to be fair, allows me to control how high I get so easily and I find the process so relaxing :D
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

MattS wrote: Tue 17th Oct 2017 12:46 pm when I was in school "vaporising" was a thing of my of legend and apparently got you all sorted of messed up. Is the high really so much stronger?
In my opinion the high is no different. It's certainly a more efficient means of consumption in the sense that it's possible to get more potency from your product than setting it on fire.

I might not bother trying to take a grinder through customs - not coming home anyway, purely because it will stink and that's just asking for unwarranted attention. No one needs that on the way home from holiday!
MinnBobber

Post by MinnBobber »

Like One High Mofo said, I also really like La Tertulia and Paradox. La T is on a canal, a nice 2 story interior, outdoor tables I think they do not allow smoking at the table?? Big by AMS standards although small by US standards. They HAD a wonderful Verdampfer vaporizer but a part broke and it was down for months so check if that's back. I love vaping and it was a real treat to try as it's bigger/ more cumbersome than any vape I'd likely buy. Nice vibe there, a lot of locals.

Paradox has a fleet of Volcanos to use :) And the fresh squeezed juice drinks are lekker.

A very cheap and very effective/ very efficient vape to bring is the VapCap M. All stainless steel so easy to clean , only $50, and if you are ok with a butane powered vape, it's the real deal. 95% of the performance of their $180 model.
https://www.dynavap.com/dynashop
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Hello Matts,
We, wife and I, have found that the same shop can have a compleaty different vibe at different times of the day. We love Bluebird in the early morning but by late afternoon it becomes a very busy place of people who are younger then us :mrgreen:

How old are you :?: we are retirement age and I believe get more courteous service then the younger crowd

All that being said we have picked places just on the music playing at the moment and that plan has worked well for us :mrgreen:

Have fun
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
MattS

Post by MattS »

I am 32 but really just come to Amsterdam to relax and savour some quiet time alone. Like everyone I suppose, I have quite a stressful job and I counter against this by booking trips like this to look forward to :D I will take your advice regarding the different times of the day and be sure to check around :)

I think I am all set! Also have my acd map saved to PDF on my phone! I've always smoked from my trusty gauzed tobacco pipes but this time, just for fun I thought i'd try rolling a little blunt from the shell of 1 of those cafe creme cigars :D I actually cannot wait hahah

Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Have fun
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org