Another 2017 trip to Amsterdam - where's good to munch?

Planning a trip to the Netherlands? Post the details here.
honeybuttermint

Another 2017 trip to Amsterdam - where's good to munch?

Post by honeybuttermint »

Hey everyone!

Heading to Dam for another trip this year from 13/11 - 20/11.

On previous trips I've visited:
Original Dampkring
Easy Times
Paradox
Grey Area
1e Hulp
The Rookies
Kashmir Lounge
Blackstar

Looking forward to visit some new places this time around:
Abraxas
Ibiza
Katsu
Boerejongens
Siberia

Also want to visit somewhere outside of central for a day trip. Harlem was mentioned to me as being a good spot to chill - any other recommendations are welcome!

One thing I've struggled with on previous trips was finding some good munch. Previously I got hooked on the VFV fries, had decent pancakes at MOOK, some Indonesian at Puri-mas which was alright, and a nice homely meal at Moeders. Looking for some hole-in-wall suggestions or anywhere else decent. Last time around, my walking tour guide made the jest of "Anyone hear of Amsterdam food outside of Amsterdam? Nope? Now you know why" :lol:. I'm sure there are some hidden gems that don't turn up in a google / tripadvisor search.

Coffee shop wise, I like to roll something up with a good dark brew and people watch / read / chat with my fellow visitors. Paradox is really good for this. The outside seats at Easy Times are wonderful for watching the world pass by. The seats are also good for seeing the "before" and "after" states of tourists heading inside :P. Guessing it'll be a bit too cold this time round for outside smokes, but a hot brew should help.

I hope the shops aren't too packed with the Unity Cup (which I heard is a bit of a tourist trap) which has some crossover with my trip Regardless I'm sure I'll enjoy myself again :D

P.S - Tried hash for the first time last trip and loved the "spice" flavor of the Carmello. What do you guys recommend for a good flavorful hash? Don't mind strength wise - just something with tasty hints of cinnamon / clove.

private_press

Re: Another 2017 trip to Amsterdam - where's good to munch?

Post by private_press »

There's a town called Naarden, which I've visited before. Basically, the town is completely fortified, with a large moat around the outside of it. It's a really interesting place to see, the town itself is very quaint, and there's a great walk around the outside of the moat which leaves plenty of opportunity to have a 'nature doobie', without disturbing anyone! I've visited this weekend, three years ago, and it's lovely this time of year as it's all cold and autumn-y. There aren't any coffeeshops (that I know of) so skin up before you go. It's about half hour on the train from dam, then a short bus ride away. Totally, totally worth going! It's not touristy AT ALL this time of year, and is very peaceful, so it's great to get away from A'dam for the day.

Here's a snap of the place!

I'm gonna be in town from 15th- 19th BTW; give me a shout if you fancy a biff and a coffee! :)
FlyByNite

Re: Another 2017 trip to Amsterdam - where's good to munch?

Post by FlyByNite »

honeybuttermint wrote: Sat 11th Nov 2017 08:15 pmHeading to Dam for another trip this year from 13/11 - 20/11.
Welcome to the forum.

You have been posted on the November Whos In Town page.
Scroll down to your month and click it.

You can see who else may be in town during your stay.

If you don't see yourself, click your refresh or reload button
Your browser sometimes loads pages from your local cache and
you don't get the latest update.

Watch for Toke & Talks, I post them up to the last minute.

Set yourself up with your own T&T or Toke and Talk, where you pick the coffeeshop
(your favorite) and the date and time, I will post it and you wait for folks to
show up, if they do you'll have a T&T. If they don't you still get to enjoy your
favorite coffeeshop!

By default I link your posting to your profile page here on ACD.

I can change it to a web link ( myspace, facebook, personal page )
or an email address if you want.

You can do a little practice shopping on the Coffeeshop Menus page.
Any with arrows are less than six months old.

Any nice new menu pictures you can get will be much appreciated.
Always ask first, better told no than thrown out.

Haarlem is an excellent choice for an out of Amsterdam experience.
Only a 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam Centraal.

Haarlem coffeeshop map https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 06915&z=14

Haarlem menus http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/0-Haarlem-/Haarlem.htm

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice
Coffeeshop Menus - Let your Mouse do the walking