AirB&B

Accommodation related topics.
donpacino

Re: AirB&B

Post by donpacino »

Hey There Guys,

Any more info on this company at all? Im looking at a week in the dam next year and thought i would stay in an apartment this time so i downloaded the airbnb app and cant beleive how reasonable the prices are for an apartment in the centre, much cheaper than a hotel.

Seems a bit to good to be true TBH. Has anyone or know anyone who has been burnt using this company?

Don

What is thy bidding my master?
RvanSteensel

Post by RvanSteensel »

you have direct contact with the person renting the appartment directly
shit works awesome

lol wtf seems to good to be true ?
this is a website used by millions of people lol
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke
donpacino

Post by donpacino »

RvanSteensel wrote:you have direct contact with the person renting the appartment directly
shit works awesome

lol wtf seems to good to be true ?
this is a website used by millions of people lol
Excellent, will give it a try then.

I just meant how reasonable the prices are compared to some of the other sights i have looked at.

Call me paranoid but the only thing stopping me getting an apartment apposed to a hotel is you dont get safes in the apartments to store money and valuables, dont fancy just leaving them bits laying around in case apartment gets robbed.

Don
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Hold yer horses a bit, it isn't as black and white as some would put it....

Yes, AirBnB is quite safe if you take the necessary precautions and use a little common sense, but there for sure are also cheats and hustlers in there so choose a host that has a few recommendations by other users and use common sense in judging the authenticity of offers on the site. There are presently plenty of offers on there that are quite obviously fake, but they are quite easy to spot if you just apply a little basic reasoning. For instance there is zero chance you will get a multi-room swanky penthouse dead center with all the comforts for half the price of a regular two bed hotel room as apparently is the case with some of the offers on there (have checked as recently as yesterday for November dates).

All this being said we had a great stay in an apartment booked through AirBnB this august, a stay that we almost effortlessly extended in that apartment and booked another three days in another apartment to further extend the stay with three day’s notice. We would recommend the site, but also recommend that you use some common sense in sorting the fakes from the real offers.
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
donpacino

Post by donpacino »

CopenhagenCouple wrote:Hold yer horses a bit, it isn't as black and white as some would put it....

Yes, AirBnB is quite safe if you take the necessary precautions and use a little common sense, but there for sure are also cheats and hustlers in there so choose a host that has a few recommendations by other users and use common sense in judging the authenticity of offers on the site. There are presently plenty of offers on there that are quite obviously fake, but they are quite easy to spot if you just apply a little basic reasoning. For instance there is zero chance you will get a multi-room swanky penthouse dead center with all the comforts for half the price of a regular two bed hotel room as apparently is the case with some of the offers on there (have checked as recently as yesterday for November dates).

All this being said we had a great stay in an apartment booked through AirBnB this august, a stay that we almost effortlessly extended in that apartment and booked another three days in another apartment to further extend the stay with three day’s notice. We would recommend the site, but also recommend that you use some common sense in sorting the fakes from the real offers.
Thanks for the info, will definitely use some vigilance. Do you have to pay upfront or can you pay by cash on arrival, have looked on the site but cant seem to find the info.

Which apartment did you use?

Don
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

You pay up front (more or less) to airbnb then they release money to host after checkin...

We had one on the edge of the Jordaan called cozy something and then in the pijp, can't remember name...
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

VRBO works very well, too.

Wife and I do not even consider hotels. We VRBO just about everywhere we go. As CC said, you can usually easily sort out the shysters (typically one or two lurks on the sites).

Find one w good reviews and thoughtful post ( good explanation and photos that they obviously put in effort), then select. It will change your way of renting.

It is not for everyone. While I love it, my wife prefers someone to clean everyday (like a hotel). But Give me an apt or houseboat in the city and i am in pure heaven!
RobertD

Post by RobertD »

LLMReb wrote:It is not for everyone. While I love it, my wife prefers someone to clean everyday (like a hotel).
Sounds a bit like me. I'd also need to feel assured that the bed sheets and towels will have been through a proper cycle in the washing machine before my arrival. Personally, going by the photos, the 'bargain-priced' flats on the Airbnb website looked pretty rough if I'm honest, a bit like a teenager's bedroom. There were some flats that looked pretty nice and clean and had a good few positive reviews, but their prices weren't particularly competitive with, say, a 3-star hotel in a similar location.