Zeeburg camping

Accommodation related topics.
Dave J

Zeeburg camping

Post by Dave J »

I know a couple of members have stayed there in the past but unsure on members having recently stayed there. But has anyone stayed there recently to know what it's like?, seems fine on the video clips on there website, more like a British holiday site than a camping site. Like how safe will leaving a tent all day be, any secluded smoking areas etc?.

I'm almost certainly camping out there in a tent next April. Yeah, I know it's out of the way a little but cost issues and convenience to the coach park makes sense to go there, will just buy a tram pass for the stay. Wouldn't have give it a second thought normally but seeing as the flight cost coming home Easter week is more expensive than I'm happy with I'm decided on a coach trip this time based on the cost being about 1/3 of the flight cost even if a 16 hour each way trip.

Current flight prices would be £79 return (£30 going & £49 coming back) and not happy paying a premium coming back just because its Easter week (3 days before Easter I might add) and a long bank holiday weekend, I took a serious look at the coach option even if 16 hours each way. Based on current coach prices I could get a return for about £26, that's less than the flight just getting there!. Added to that no stupid luggage\weight restrictions issues on a coach, that would then allow me to take a tent to camp out, further saving on accommodation costs and maximizing weed funds. And as the coach stop in Amsterdam seems within minutes walk of the Zeebug camping site then that's an obvious option as it would also be something different camping in Amsterdam for a change. Added to that a couple of space cakes for the coach back (no custom checks until France before getting the ferry\channel tunnel) would make for good return trip. And to be honest I'm rather excited at the thought of camping for a change as it gives the chance to try something new in Amsterdam which has to be a bonus. And the savings seem to be staggering when working the costs.

Flight - £79 return
Hotel (Bulldog) - £106 @ £26.50 per night for 4 nights in a dorm
Generic cheap private room in cheap hotel £180 @ £45 per night for 4 nights
Total £185 or
Total £259

Coach - £26 return (could even be less or more by then as can't book yet due to 3 month timetable)
Zeeburg camping - £33 @ £8.25 per night for 4 nights
Total £59

Coach gets in about 9am, quick walk to Zeeburg camp, sort out the pitch, tent up, freshen up, tram pass and in Voyagers for 10am and could take my time first day smoking. The flight however would mean the first coffeeshop wouldn't be till 5pm. And smoking like binge drinking on the first night wouldn't be good.

FlyByNite

Re: Zeeburg camping

Post by FlyByNite »

What dates will you be in Amsterdam?

I'll post you on the Whos In Town page.
You can see who else may be in town and any Toke & Talks that are planned.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice
Coffeeshop Menus - Let your mouse do the walking
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

I'm already posted, you did it several weeks ago :)
Cardboardbox

Post by Cardboardbox »

Dude I'm telling you now a 16 hour each way coach trip is not for the feint of heart

Also you will need to spend big money on a decent tent your average pegs and pole tents won't be suitable for longer than a 5 day trip ( tent will get sweaty an damp)

For wat it's worth bro I dunno about your financial situation but just book the flight save you some hassell
Smith2

Post by Smith2 »

Can't help with the camping, but Megabus does restrict you to one suitcase, with other items at driver's discretion depending on availability. I'd check first to make sure they'll take your tent.

I've done the 11 hours to London when the price is right – and it's hard to argue with £1 – but even I'd think twice about adding another five hours onto that. At some point that first day you're going to crash pretty hard, or at least I would. If you do it, keep your mind firmly on the half-ounce or so you're saving by going through the jaws of hell.
spireax

Post by spireax »

Camping Zeeburg is sound. Nice site, friendly staff. No worries about leaving stuff in yr tent, no worries about smoking on the site. Wouldn't worry about yr tent/pegs/poles surviving a 5 day trip, my battered 3 man eurohike is still going strong after 10+ years of british camping :wink:
Your biggest worry seems to be if they'll let you put a tent on the bus.
Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill
Dave J

Post by Dave J »

Thanks for the response guys. To be honest I'm not as blindly going into the coach and camping option as it might first seem. I've actually done the trip by coach before, on my first ever trip to Amsterdam so do understand it's not a pretty option for many. After the last time I did say never again by coach lol. But since then I've done quite a bit of long distance travelling over they years, most recently being 8 & 10 hour trips so a lot more hardened by distance trips over the years than I was the first time.

And to be honest its not a straight 16 hour trip as such. But a 5 hour coach to London, about an hours rest there before getting on the next coach. Then what I'd assume to be another hours rest if crossing by ferry than the channel tunnel. And I gather there is another short rest half way (Belgium?) the other side.

I got the costing wrong about the flights the other day. The flights in fact would cost £120, £41 more and not the £79 I originally mentioned so the price difference is even greater than my original post, £41 more for the flights. And at least a further £20 again in hold luggage charges where I to fly and take the tent.

And as for camping, it's only 4 nights in April and the tent does have ventilation to help with condensation (but not tested on a 4 nighter) and I tend to sleep with slightly open flaps anyway for fresh air circulation. So condensation should not be to bad hopefully.

It's not so much about my current financial situation as if it was I'd simply fly and just cut a night off my trip to cover some of the difference. But more about maximizing my spending money for the finer things that Amsterdam has to offer, the weed of cause :) for the time I'm there and trying something different for a change. And based on my figures I'd be saving about an extra £160 for ganja over the 4 days I'll be there for. That's got to be worth trying the coach again for. More so if I can get the fares for £1 from London to Amsterdam to.

And there is the serious cost issues involved, not so much how piss taking the flights are that week, but more how much cheaper the coach is. I'd bet there wouldn't be to many in the London area that wouldn't give the coach option a serious thought if they could get a return for under £10 or even £5 or £2 for a return at fairly short notice. When you can get those sort of prices I don't see why more wouldn't be tempted if you can get the £1 fares. I'd do the coach every month at that price if I lived in London. Fuck, I'd even do a day trip for £1 each way and just spend several hours there and head back :) . But I get that some just don't do such long journeys all the same.

My only miss thought on the idea was a 1 case limit on mega bus, had not really thought about that. But the case I have should take the tent (2-3 man 1 for myself as I like space to move :) ) , sleeping bag, airbed and all my other bits & clothes for 4 nights. Apart from that just a small carry on bag for my camera, tablet, phone etc for which I'd assume they would be fine if it fits on the overhead luggage rack.
Dimon

Post by Dimon »

the only problem with Zeeburg is that, if you stayed really late in Centrum than you have to deal with a night bus which is running not so often.
H
Smith2

Post by Smith2 »

Dave J wrote:Apart from that just a small carry on bag for my camera, tablet, phone etc for which I'd assume they would be fine if it fits on the overhead luggage rack.
Should be no problem. I've taken a small rucksack and not put even it on the overhead rack, as it would have been a tight fit.
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

youll love zeeburg. everytime you start to think its way out you also remember how much your saving ) id go for 1 man eco pod thing though. are the midge insect things about during april? they are your worst enemy. with camping you can stay at camping zeeburg 2 as well. right next to the swimming pool and the flevorpark tram stop, but i dont think they have all the ducks swans and goats wandering about (i like the ducks), but saves that 5 to 30min walk depending how stoned you are. they have saftey desposit boxes and if you need to charge phones or laptops they gladly do that free at front desk/shop counter thing. never had had a problem with night bus they seemed pretty regular (a few years ago) just make sure you get off at right stop or youll be lost lost lost..

as for the coach.. its worth it (just about) get to the front of the que or youll end up sitting next to the extremely large guy that takes up half your seat
TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

Those cabins look good, the wagonettes look really fun...id do it
Amsterdam dreaming.............
Addlestoner

Post by Addlestoner »

I can vouch for zeeburg being a great choice of place to stay, Its amazing how somewhere can feel so tranquil being so close to the city, I have fond memories of sitting in the entrance of my tent smoking a fattie befor bed just watching the lights of lorries in the distance silently moving over the lake on a bridge.
tdw121270

Post by tdw121270 »

Addlestoner wrote:I can vouch for zeeburg being a great choice of place to stay, Its amazing how somewhere can feel so tranquil being so close to the city, I have fond memories of sitting in the entrance of my tent smoking a fattie befor bed just watching the lights of lorries in the distance silently moving over the lake on a bridge.
Im with you on that one. Had a row of six baby chicks lined up infront of my tent. They sat there while I fed them bread. It was so comical. Then again I was stoned on orange bud.
Next trip 1st August 2015. 2 weeks camping/putting my feet up.
alpen rock

Post by alpen rock »

Ahhh Zeeburg Campsite!!

Got fond memories from the place...that's where I stayed when on holidays with my parents, first trip to Dam, as a toddler...can still recall that strange pungeant smell coming from everywhere...hahah good times!
Balou

Post by Balou »

Rastamouse wrote:I'm going in a couple of days and was considering camping as well.

Might be a bit too cold now though :(
I'd be more concerned about the rain and wind. Maybe have a look at one of the cabins instead.
Are you stoned? Like a gravel road bitch, like a gravel road!