NH Carlton

Accommodation related topics.
ZBeebs

NH Carlton

Post by ZBeebs »

Plan was to book a balcony room at Nadia, but I waited too long and they are full for my dates.

Booked a balcony room at NH Carlton. Reviews say it's run down and in need of renovation and it looks like they are doing a full renovation later this year.

It's a 4 star hotel... How bad could it really be? Has anyone stayed there recently?

Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?
ZBeebs

Re: NH Carlton

Post by ZBeebs »

Thought I'd update this as no one had any input.

Hotel is old, but in decent shape. Room was clean, everything worked, comfy bed and pillows. Big screen TV, minibar, bathroom and shower more than adequate. Black out curtains as well, so the room isn't bathed in light at 7am.

The balcony was small, and no chairs or table (could be due to time of year / weather?) but came in really handy for wake-n-bake or last smoke of the day. Nice views though!

Only complaint was that at night (midnight? 1am?) they would lock the doors and you'd have to be buzzed in. Stood outside a couple minutes at 3AM waiting to be let in once, otherwise they were pretty quick to buzz me in.

Also - I left without emptying the safe and left a good amount of US currency. Didn't discover until I was clearing security at the airport. I was sure they'd lie and say it was gone, but sure enough they called me an hour after contacting them that they had my money and would wire transfer it to me as soon as I sent them my banking info. I was impressed, and will stay there again.
goboltss

Post by goboltss »

Thanks for the update. Nice to know your money was returned.
ZBeebs

Post by ZBeebs »

Still dont have my money... They are having issues completing the wire transfer. They are asking for information my bank cannot provide (a SORT code) I have received wire transfers from overseas before and using the SWIFT code was always sufficient.

I am waiting for their response now. I am asking that they mail me a check.
MPlant

Post by MPlant »

Seems strange that they're asking for that - as far as I am aware, sort codes are a British thing.

All banks in the UK have a 6 digit Sort code and an 8 digit account number. The sort code is split into 3 pairs, like this: 12-34-56
The first two digits identify the bank; the next four digits identify the branch.

If we're transferring/receiving money to/from other European countries, we have to use IBAN numbers but I don't think the US use them.

I may be wrong, but does a SWIFT code not just identify the bank at which the account is located. You would also have to provide details of the specific account at the bank. Maybe this is what she means by sort code - your account number.
ZBeebs

Post by ZBeebs »

I forgot to update!

After much back and forth with the hotel, they were able to wire me the money, after a conversion fee and processing fee that ate up about 20%. Having 80% of my money returned is better than 0%, so I'm happy.

Visiting again in June, and will most likely book here again - because of the balconies and the goodwill they earned returning my money.