Slow server, unresponsiveness, the "frog", etc.

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Lemming
Site Admin

Slow server, unresponsiveness, the "frog", etc.

Post by Lemming »

The forum has been running very slowly most of the time recently and the problem seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately this is beyond my control.

To try to explain how all of the bits fit together: the forum is made up of some software called phpBB and data stored in a MySQL database. As administrator I have access to all aspects of these components. These components, in turn, run on a computer that's permanently attached to the Internet. This is the server. In reality it's probably a thing slotted into a rack in a big room somewhere.

The server, or some space on it, is rented by 'Slimline' and he then sells on services on it. Very generously he has given us some space on this server for free over the past 10 years or so to host this forum.

As you may have read elsewhere, Slimline is very ill and is gradually withdrawing from his IT services business. He has warned that the server will be shutdown at some point. In the meantime he is rarely on line anymore and I've had little communication with him for some time.

I simply don't know how or whether the recent slowing down of the server is related to this situation but, as it's not my server, there is nothing I can do about it.

Regarding the "frog" - the farting noise that you may have heard from time to time - I believe this is related to the slowdown. It's specifically related to the Mini-Chat and the 'Autoupdate every 10 seconds' setting. If the server is not responding at the moment that it tries to do an auto update then a red cross appears next to the autoupdate message in place of the usual green tick and the fart sound is triggered. You can stop this by un-ticking the 'Use sound?' checkbox.

MR Crocket

Re: Slow server, unresponsiveness, the "frog", etc.

Post by MR Crocket »

Ahhh...I thought that when these Yanks referred to "the Frog" I thought they were on about that Frenchman that come on here???
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

If you need a canna related chat fix there is the CoffeeshopMenus chat here,

http://chatwing.com/coffeeshopmenus

Enjoy
FlyByNite
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Lemming wrote:The forum has been running very slowly most of the time recently and the problem seems to be getting worse. Unfortunately this is beyond my control.

To try to explain how all of the bits fit together: the forum is made up of some software called phpBB and data stored in a MySQL database. As administrator I have access to all aspects of these components. These components, in turn, run on a computer that's permanently attached to the Internet. This is the server. In reality it's probably a thing slotted into a rack in a big room somewhere.

The server, or some space on it, is rented by 'Slimline' and he then sells on services on it. Very generously he has given us some space on this server for free over the past 10 years or so to host this forum.

As you may have read elsewhere, Slimline is very ill and is gradually withdrawing from his IT services business. He has warned that the server will be shutdown at some point. In the meantime he is rarely on line anymore and I've had little communication with him for some time.

I simply don't know how or whether the recent slowing down of the server is related to this situation but, as it's not my server, there is nothing I can do about it.

Regarding the "frog" - the farting noise that you may have heard from time to time - I believe this is related to the slowdown. It's specifically related to the Mini-Chat and the 'Autoupdate every 10 seconds' setting. If the server is not responding at the moment that it tries to do an auto update then a red cross appears next to the autoupdate message in place of the usual green tick and the fart sound is triggered. You can stop this by un-ticking the 'Use sound?' checkbox.
There are a lot of free forum hosting options available.
Do you have or can you get a backup of the database?
IMO, we shouldn't just let this forum die.
I am willing to help as much as I can, hopefully others will be prepared to help keep it alive too.
treetop

Post by treetop »

I'll throw down some resources to keep the server up someplace if necessary. Can talk during 420 week Lemming. That is if the server is still up by then. There are some people who rely upon the forum to make their living. Can't let them starve now can we? :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:
Somehow all this seems so insignificant and inconsequential compared to Pete's/Slimlines situation though. :cry:
How much did you produce?
gapie

Post by gapie »

GetHigh,DoStuff&Dont give a FUCK!
hulldj

Post by hulldj »

treetop wrote:I'll throw down some resources to keep the server up someplace if necessary. Can talk during 420 week Lemming. That is if the server is still up by then. There are some people who rely upon the forum to make their living. Can't let them starve now can we? :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:
Somehow all this seems so insignificant and inconsequential compared to Pete's/Slimlines situation though. :cry:

I'm with Treetop and Old Timer on this one. I would happily provide server resources. I don't know what you would need or what is available from Treetop but I'm sure between us there would be plenty to keep the site running. If you fancy a chat PM me and I'll see if I can help out. Same with Treetop and old Timer... PM me and lets see what we can put together if anything.
Live.. Love... Laugh and dance more. Stay safe ACD
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

What a nice positive response coming in here, certainly made me feel a bit brighter that we might keep going long into the future :thumbup: :D . Three cheers for the geeks I say. :clap:
What a long strange trip it is.
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

Free hosting solutions are not always suitable unfortunately for an established site/forum with reasonable traffic, but something would still be better than nothing

Lemming, I've mentioned to you before that I run an unrelated forum that's been around almost as long as ACD, hosted on a dedicated box my members fund, and would gladly speak with my co-owner about providing either emergency hosting or perhaps a longer term solution if possible. Would hate to see this place disappear - email me any time if I can help.
talkrum

Post by talkrum »

Three cheers for the geeks I say.
+1
I have no idea what they are taking about but its sounds positive. :?
With Luvtick preparing a new installment, all these offers of help and the prospect of seeing another Sail Amsterdam in August this year -I feel good.

Mike93

Post by Mike93 »

How come the forum is so quick again?

I would love to help out some way, more likely adding funds than anything IT.
redeyezman

Post by redeyezman »

Put me down for IT skillz, but no funds. Be glad to help if needed.
Shells sink. Dreams float.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks for all of the positive messages and offers of help in this and the neighbouring thread.

Performance seems to have improved a bit recently. I have no idea why, anymore than I know why it goes slow sometimes.

Regarding those free services, surely there must be some catch. They're commercial organisations so they must use adverts or severely inhibit forums to force them to upgrade to premium services or something, mustn't they? Has anyone used one of them?

To those of you offering server space, thanks very much. If you can let me know what you can handle in the way of space, bandwidth, db engine and stuff that would be great to keep on standby. Please always use email rather than PM though.

The latest news for you is that I've been trying some experiments on FBN's server. He kindly gave me access to it. It's got PHP and MySQL so, after a bit of a struggle, I managed to get a backup of the forum running on it. If FBN is up for it, this may be one potential refuge.

Meanwhile I'm taking reasonably regular backups so the option of carrying on is still there.
FroggyStyle

Post by FroggyStyle »

Thank you Lemming and FBN for the hard work done on this site!
"Il convient d'accorder notre mépris avec parcimonie, tant nombreux sont les nécessiteux."
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I've mentioned this before but it's worth reiterating, the only domain that I actually own is https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com. Coffeeshopdirect.info belongs to Peter (Slimline) and https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com is ultimately part of FreeUK. If the main site or the forum should ever disappear and I manage to resurrect it somewhere then I can point https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com to a new location.

So, if you want to find any future location, make sure you have a bookmark to https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com.