Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory Travelogue Book.

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
Slip & Sal

Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory Travelogue Book.

Post by Slip & Sal »

G'day ACDers.

I had this Idea a while ago and I would reckon that all of you guys have thought a similar thing. I think that we should collect together all of the best travelogues or trip reports and make an Amazon book.

I enjoy reading the stories as do many people. I also think some of the threads become well written short stories.

We could place all the threads we think should go in the book here, and then in 2 weeks we should make another thread to vote which ones should be included.

It wouldn't be hard as all the material is already there. It would also give older members a reason to come back just for a little bit as we might need then to show us trip reports that we are unaware of from earlier days.

I think that if all the authors of the threads allowed us to do this as well, we could use any profits from the book sales (if any :) ) to donate to the forum and its upkeep.

What do you guys think?

If you like the idea start submitting threads below that you like.

I don't take drugs, I am Drugs.
Largefella

Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory Travelogue Book.

Post by Largefella »

I reckon that's a brilliant idea - on all levels.

I've also read quite a few travelogues on here that went beyond the informational, and were really well written, with some beautiful Amsterdam city texture.

A recent one that stands out for me:

OneHighMofo - A short trip, from May this year

(Sorry, can't seem to post a direct link to the thread)
...as Sinatra once sang, Doobee doobee dooo....
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... f=10&t=444

I know it is little but it makes you go read things that you might not have. Lemmings first. I think.
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Sounds like this could be an adventure. :)
If this does come to fruition, may I make a few suggestions? :)
Good, here is the first - when putting together the various reports, start with the earliest and make your way towards today.
This allows for the transition from year to year, and the noticeable changes (people we loved and lost, shop closures/restrictions, etc...).
This is a good idea, thanks Slip & Sal. :)
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

Yes Ron I was thinking that also. All ideas and suggestions are good. Thanks mate.

Maybe Lemming, Balou and some
others might like to drop in.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Great idea! And thanks to Largefella for nominating my report! That's really kind thank-you very much. It's here btw: https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=31013

I'll dig out some of my favourite travelogues and post them later.

I'd certainly want to proof and edit my report before inclusion. Get rid of the lazy sentence constructs, flesh out all the acronyms into meaningful words and fix the typo's.

If the idea takes off I'd be more than happy to provide proof reading and editing on the reports - oh and I'm a graphic designer of 20 years too so can help with layout if necessary.

I love Ron's idea about chronology - as well as being a meaningful way to structure the narrative; it suggests a nice hook for a creative approach too.
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

Help will be awesome. Thanks mate.
Slip & Sal

Post by Slip & Sal »

Any other suggestions yet fellas?

Like what threads do you like??????????????????????????????
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Definitely think Babbalonians new report is worthy of inclusion.
https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=31175
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 09:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worldcitizen1723

Post by worldcitizen1723 »

kingbee wrote:I think this is a nice idea, but I would also consider the fact that this site is a cool place for a relatively small number of regulars, and releasing a book on the commercial market may well attract "the masses" in greater numbers, which could be a good thing, but which could also mess up the good thing that is going on here.

The same thing happened to Overgrow back in the day (an article was printed in a men's magazine), and after that the site was never the same again - too many people, too many (bored) kids causing trouble, etc.

I guess the message is: be careful what you wish for ;)

wise observation
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

worldcitizen1723 wrote:
kingbee wrote:I think this is a nice idea, but I would also consider the fact that this site is a cool place for a relatively small number of regulars, and releasing a book on the commercial market may well attract "the masses" in greater numbers, which could be a good thing, but which could also mess up the good thing that is going on here.

The same thing happened to Overgrow back in the day (an article was printed in a men's magazine), and after that the site was never the same again - too many people, too many (bored) kids causing trouble, etc.

I guess the message is: be careful what you wish for ;)
wise observation
Agreed, it's definitely worthy of consideration thanks Kingbee. A good point well made.

I doubt there'd be that much interest other than from the existing ACD community really. Amazon is a very big place and as the content in the book would always be available here for free; it doesn't make much sense to buy one unless you're particularly interested in helping Lemming pay his hosting bills :)
But we certainly don't want to attract unwanted attention.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Bliss Receptors Creamy Lions Christmas is also a 2015 fave :)
https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=15
Bob2

Post by Bob2 »

sounds a great idea ill mention trip reports 10 years old were awesome (not complaining about trip reports now). you could have a separate 420 book with all those trip reports each year. what would qualify?? needs minimum of 10 coffeeshops? visiting at least 2 attractions? pics i would say is a must.