Prototype Site - Calling Web Designers

Suggestions, complaints and news about coffeeshopdirect.com
notsofasteddie

Re: Prototype Site - Calling Web Designers

Post by notsofasteddie »

Lemming wrote:Thanks for the replies but I've seen no screenshots yet :(

@notsofasteddie - sorry, still don't get your point about copyrights. All of the content on the site is absolutely original. Much has been copied by others but I haven't plagiarised anything. Is this something about the adverts?

All of the content in the Forums is not original. The most obvious examples are the Drug Chronicle Daily News and the Medical Marijuana Update threads which carry a variety of attributions mostly from StoptheDrugWar.com. Again, I'm no lawyer and certainly no expert on copyrights, but I wonder if non-commercial accurately describes the status of the ACD site given it has sponsors.

Regarding the moderator panel, I haven't changed anything on the forum as part of this project so there's no reason why anything should have gone away. There is a facility whereby I can browse the forum with a specific member's permissions. I've tried this with yours and it did allow me to move a topic within the sub-forums. Can you tell me more - error messages, screenshot or whatever please?
I'm not getting any error messages in the More Countries sub forum, but the actions I'm taking, for example, eliminating a spam message aren't completing. Everything appears to be as it should be, but the deletion of the message does not happen. Could you put a test message in one of the less active countries, say Argentina, and I'll try to delete it.

Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

The forum is a completely different matter. Obviously people post all sorts of stuff there. I'm only taking responsibility for the website. :D

Just added a post in Afghanistan as me and then deleted it again as you. If you're on Skype call me there. I'll email you my id. Then you can share your screen and show me the problem.
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

Lemming wrote:The forum is a completely different matter. Obviously people post all sorts of stuff there. I'm only taking responsibility for the website. :D

Just added a post in Afghanistan as me and then deleted it again as you. If you're on Skype call me there. I'll email you my id. Then you can share your screen and show me the problem.
I'm a 20th Century Luddite! Totally desktop bound and mostly cell phone illiterate, so no Skype! Strange as I worked for Verizon for over twenty (20) years! I like a phone that gives you dial tone when you pick it up Still if you could plant a message, I would like to attempt to delete it as me.
Drugsbunny

Post by Drugsbunny »

ok ,

Using winblows 7 all ok no probs. (However,any chance we could lose the green leaves at the side of the website and replace them with photos of the coffeeshops?))

Using winblows7 then running TOR ( The Onion Router) aka dark web client, all ok site works fine for me, forum loads etc no colour wash out or over accentuation..
Using linux Ubuntu 16.04 all ok site works fine, same using TOR.
Using unix (freebsd) all works fine
havent got tor working on unix yet so unable to say.

Hope that helps alittle, although it probably doesnt but hey just trying to help :)
Herb!
Take happiness with the heartache, go through life wearing a smile.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks Db, both for lots of useful info and for getting us back on topic :D

Great to hear that it works on all of those environments.

Regarding the background and coffeeshop pics, I have a huge collection of coffeeshop pictures. Part of the objective here is to add all of these pictures to the site. I wasn't able to do that before because of space restrictions on the server but I hope to get around that by one means or another.

Thanks also to Matty who sent me screenshots of it in two different browsers on an Apple Mac. This is great. Just what I need.

To anyone else reading this, if you could send me a screenshot of it on your device that would be fantastic.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

The directory is my second home :D ! New prototype site works fine with me, Lemming, again appreciate your effort and dedication :D !
Any chance you could install a sort of 'stealth version' of forum and directory you can switch to via a button if necessary(no cheesy green and leafes, less colours. Too much for me nowadays)?! Sometimes this is handy and am a paranoid numpty anyway. Just a thought though!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Thanks Jesscass. Cheesy green :lol: Seems lots of people don't like my greens :?

If someone can come up with a better stylesheet that would be fantastic. So far nobody has. Similarly a very plain stylesheet and a means of switching would be great.

As I've said before, I'm a programmer, not an artist. This is the best colour scheme I can come up with. Until someone creates something better you'll have to put up with mine I'm afraid.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Good job! Thanks
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Well it's no longer a prototype. I've flicked the big switch and made it live.

I'll carry on working on it and I'd still love to see any suggestions for improvements, especially in the form of alternative stylesheets.

I feel that it is a step forwards, notwithstanding the dodgy colour scheme, for several reasons:

> The breakdown of Amsterdam into districts is better.
> Scrolling comments make some of the more popular pages less unwieldy.
> It should work better on small screens such as phones and tablets.
> Even the colours are probably no worse than before and might be slightly better.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

@Lemming

You know was only about no leafs and being more discreet :lol: . Love colours in general especially bright ones but I'd be happy with just a grey background when it comes to this stealth version as it's all about content for me anyway.

By the way well done with the start of the new version!
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

AdBlock is your friend when you want to block indiscreet brightly coloured leaves, irritating avatars, whatever. Unfortunately it seems to be fiddlier on a phone, which is where I really need it.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I find the division by postal code more confusing than helpful – do even residents think in terms of any but their own? Also, Van Woustraat seems to be listed twice under 74.
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Looking good on my Android phone thanks Lemming. :D
What a long strange trip it is.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

@Jesscass

I'm looking into a way of switching the stylesheet, amongst other things. Stay tuned ...

@Fat_old_dwarf

Good spot! I've now fixed Van Woustraat.

The street index has always been grouped by postcode but the means of doing it has changed slightly and I got that bit wrong.

Incidentally, the idea behind using postcodes is to try to bring together clusters of shops. It doesn't work perfectly but it sometimes helps. For instance 72 to 74 represent the Pijp.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Regarding switching stylesheets - I've tried a quick experiment on the index page. So far I've only found it working in Internet Explorer.

If you've got IE you can try it as follows:

1. Load the index page (www.coffeeshopdirect.com/index.htm) and force a refresh/reload to ensure you've got the latest.
2. Click Page in the top menu to open the dropdown.
3. Go down to Style and select Plain.

Don't select No Style otherwise it will all fall apart!

It's very rough but it shows that there is the potential to switch between multiple stylesheets to suit different tastes.

As I understand it, alternative stylesheets are supported by several browsers but require an extension to work in Chrome. I believe there are also extensions that allow you to create your own stylesheets. No doubt Firefox has lots of customisation options.

Again, if you can come up with a nice stylesheet I can put it on the site and make it available for everyone.