Which PH meter do you use?

Including growing tips and questions.
Colina

Re: Which PH meter do you use?

Post by Colina »

ph is the most important factor imo.
5.8 is my prefered setting. The ghe ph down in fluid form has an amazing pH buffer that works for at least one week. It's not a simple acid, it's a mix of acids and buffer. Better than any other ph down I used. You should give that a try, ph down and the bio filter are the only two products from ghe I really liked btw.

bio fiter:

HOLLAND
Hope Our Love Lasts And Never Dies
Boner

Post by Boner »

I ph down to 5.8 as well, I grow in coco and use Canna's ph down (both bloom and veg) and haven't had any ph related issues since.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
sam

Post by sam »

I use battery acid to to get my 8.1ph out of the tap water down to a ph of 6. It takes 6oz of battery acid to every 100 gallons of water.
Boner

Post by Boner »

sam wrote:I use battery acid to to get my 8.1ph out of the tap water down to a ph of 6. It takes 6oz of battery acid to every 100 gallons of water.
Isn't that poisonous?
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
sam

Post by sam »

Not to plants. Plus it really is not that strong of acid, if you get some on yourself just rinse it off with water. Most hydroponic greenhouses use it because of the cheap price.
ZBeebs

Post by ZBeebs »

battery acid is made of sulfuric acid, 30 percent or more. probably not good
for plants, definitely not safe for skin. battery acid typically has a ph of 0.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

i dont think going the cheap way is a great idea when it involves something im gonna smoke or possibly eat...im gonna pass on battery acid weed :mrgreen:
rockin into the night
SloWhite

Post by SloWhite »

USBONGLORD wrote:im gonna pass on battery acid weed :mrgreen:

X2! that cant be good for anyone or anything... :shock:
Not your average Horticulturalist..
Colina

Post by Colina »

SloWhite wrote:
USBONGLORD wrote:im gonna pass on battery acid weed :mrgreen:

X2! that cant be good for anyone or anything... :shock:
x3! :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: ok, cool man :wink:
HOLLAND
Hope Our Love Lasts And Never Dies
sam

Post by sam »

Sorry to go off subject from the ph meter topic. Google is your friend, before saying battery acid is bad do a little research. I actually grow hydroponic produce for a living and can tell you from personal experiance that 99% of all hydroponic produce growers that have alkaline water use it. I think you are not seeing the big picture, 6oz of batery acid to reduce the ph in 100 gallons of water. PH is very important for growing, for small home grows a few drops in a gallon works wonders. Sorry if this does not make sence I am really high right now.
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

all good but there are so many other better ways and healthyer :mrgreen: ,if it can burn thru my hands ..heheh..at any point,,,itll never sit right :lol:
rockin into the night
ZBeebs

Post by ZBeebs »

People who are mass producing product (such as growing produce) are doing it for the highest possible profit. That might be fine for commercial grows, but mine is far from a commercial grow...I can control every aspect of it, as it'll be my personal smoke...so I can be picky and not cheap out on something important. Yes, you can use battery acid, but there are other, better, safer choices.
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?
sam

Post by sam »

ZBeebs wrote:People who are mass producing product (such as growing produce) are doing it for the highest possible profit. That might be fine for commercial grows, but mine is far from a commercial grow...I can control every aspect of it, as it'll be my personal smoke...so I can be picky and not cheap out on something important. Yes, you can use battery acid, but there are other, better, safer choices.
Please tell me these better choices. I would really like to know. There are 3 ways I know how to lower PH 1)sulfuric acid(battery acid) What 99% of profesional growers use because of price and the fact it does not affect fertilizer ratios like the other options. 2) nitric acid can be very hazardous only small time growers and organic people use it and they all complain about how bad it works. 3) Phosphoric acid great choice that also provides phosphorus(helps flowering) but is a way stronger(more dangerous) acid than sulfuric and way more expensive.
I think everyone is talking bad about it because of its common use not because of how good it really works for lowering ph without messing with your fertilizer like the other 2 options do.
I just do not see paying $10 for General Hydroponics PH Down when I can get the same amout of sulfuric acid for $2 that really does a better job. I am not trying to argue with anyone just offering a better option for lowering ph.
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

:lol: then you must have a giant grow cause a gallon lasts me a year...and noone here is professional..lol...legendary,but not professional
rockin into the night
sam

Post by sam »

USBONGLORD wrote::lol: then you must have a giant grow cause a gallon lasts me a year...and noone here is professional..lol...legendary,but not professional
I wish I could still grow weed, cause I really miss doing it. The 40' X 76' greenhouse in my yard gets way too much attention for it any more. In my little greenhouse my grow consists of 360 tomtoes, 72 sweet pell peppers, 36 egg plant, 36 hot peppers, 72 cucumbers, 100 green been, and 100 strawberry plants. Every thing is 100% hydroponic. If anyone is interested in pics let me know I will add some to the gardening thread.
If growing weed ever becomes legal here I will Round Up(plant killer) my greenhouse and have it filled with weed in days. :lol: