LED lighting

Including growing tips and questions.
ZBeebs

Re: LED lighting

Post by ZBeebs »

This unit is using way less electricity than my 600 watt lumitek setup. It's expensive to get started but based on electricity savings i think it would pay for itself in less than a year.

Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?
Boner

Post by Boner »

You might save money on the electric but the yields dont touch HID and I personally dont think they ever will.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
ZBeebs

Post by ZBeebs »

I hope to have some positive proof in a couple months. The seller has assured my friend that he will have awesome results...of course he would say that though!

What I know is it's a 4x4 tent, with that light, vortex extraction fan, and the plants are in airpots. He is essentially following the suggestions from the seller of the light and are able to be found through that link I posted, including soil mix and nutes he is using.
ZBeebs

Post by ZBeebs »

I was also thinking...if the only thing that is affected is yields and not quality...all that matters (to me at least) is that I can grow enough for myself...and if I can do it at a fraction of the cost, what's the drawback? From what my friend tells me, I could run two of these and still have electricity savings over my 600 watt lumitek.

I also can't run a 1000 watt HID in my space due to heat...this is supposed to be equivalent...so if this can produce as much or more than my current 600, I would be sold.
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

a seller in my spamemail box guarentees that my cock will grow ten inches in the next 2 weeks ...hehehehe....sellers will say anything..i hope yers was honest :mrgreen:
rockin into the night
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

ZBeebs wrote:I was also thinking...if the only thing that is affected is yields and not quality...all that matters (to me at least) is that I can grow enough for myself...and if I can do it at a fraction of the cost, what's the drawback? From what my friend tells me, I could run two of these and still have electricity savings over my 600 watt lumitek.
I also can't run a 1000 watt HID in my space due to heat...this is supposed to be equivalent...so if this can produce as much or more than my current 600, I would be sold.
Plug in the numbers to see what savings your talking about.
http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/electr ... bmit=Entry

Vegetation (4wks):
600w x 18hrs x 0.20/kWh = 2.16 x 28 = 60.48
380w x 18hrs x 0.20/kWh = 1.37 x 28 = 38.36
Difference - 22.12

Flowering (10wks)
600 x 12 x 0.20 = 1.44 x 70 = 100.80
380 x 12 x 0.20 = 0.91 x 70 = 63.70
Difference - 37.10

Given the above information, the total electrical savings per crop is 59.22 (lighting system only).
How much does a 600w rig cost?
How much does an LED rig cost?
What are the differences in yield?
How many crops will need to be harvested to realize a return on investment?
If you have more money than you know what to do with, none of this really matters does it?! :)

Happy farming...
ZBeebs

Post by ZBeebs »

It's a 37% savings in electricity. If you can get comparable yields from that one (which is advertised as replacing a 1000 watt unit) than I do with my 600 watt, then I will make the money back in about a year. Then the savings begin to add up...added to the fact that it has a 10-12 year life, no replacing bulbs every couple grows which costs money...

I am very interested in how this turns out. If his grow goes well, my lumitek, bulbs and hood will be for sale...and I'll probably buy two of these...the big one and the small one and run a second tent with the smaller unit for less than what it costs me in electricity for the one tent I have now...then I can finally keep some mother plants...and save a few bucks a month on electricity costs...and have more harvests a year because I don't have to start from seed...I see many benefits...

Just have to keep my fingers crossed for the next three months that he gets good results...so far I'm told they're good in veg...but no one ever said you can't veg plants with LED...
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Uncle Ron, you said
The problem I see with the current systems available is that they don't project sufficient amounts of Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) between 400 to 700 nanometers.
From the ad. http://www.lumigrow.com/products/es-330-led-grow-light/
•New enhanced spectrum output covering the full PAR range (photosynthetically active radiation, 400 to 700nm)

How do you think they look taking that into account, I'm looking forward to hearing from ZBeebs on the subject. Yield, if it's reasonable is of secondary importance, quality and taste is the main factor.

Oh yes, dont forget the saving from cooling fans, although from my experience you'll spend it on heating. :oops:
What a long strange trip it is.
Boner

Post by Boner »

spidergawd wrote:Oh yes, dont forget the saving from cooling fans, although from my experience you'll spend it on heating. :oops:

You still need intake and outake fans to keep the air fresh, the same with an oscillating fan too keep the plant moving so the only real saving is from the lights.
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Maybe if your running a 6 now and you moved to a 4 would there be a saving on electric then ?
-
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

spidergawd wrote:Uncle Ron, you said
The problem I see with the current systems available is that they don't project sufficient amounts of Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) between 400 to 700 nanometers.
From the ad. http://www.lumigrow.com/products/es-330-led-grow-light/
•New enhanced spectrum output covering the full PAR range (photosynthetically active radiation, 400 to 700nm)

Damn right I said that, and I stand by it even though technology caught up quicker than I could update my brain... :oops: :lol:
In my defense, this had been a major problem, apparently (recently?) overcome.
Remember way back to last year when conversations were about supplementing LED's because the didn't provide sufficient PAR in the 400nm range?

I wonder if all LED systems offer full spectrum? Hmm....
spidergawd wrote:Oh yes, dont forget the saving from cooling fans, although from my experience you'll spend it on heating. :oops:
If you would stop trying to use the lamps in an outdoor grow, you wouldn't have this problem. :shock: :lol: Wait for it...
Or you could keep them someplace warm overnight. When the sun raises, put the plants outside. If it's too cold, either grow in the summer or move. Wait for it...

.......just kidding! :wink: :lol:

Happy farming...
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Damn right I said that, and I stand by it even though technology caught up quicker than I could update my brain...
:D :D.

Happy trails. :D.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Stick to HID. LED = FAIL.

Tricky
... as long as it aint a cheque ;)
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Trichome_Dense wrote:Stick to HID. LED = FAIL.

Tricky
Hello Turbo, I think you might be right, unless you've got the big buckeroos for these high teccy space age numbers. :D
Hope it's all cool down you're way man.
lampshade

Post by lampshade »

I'm looking forward to the results of using one of those high tech space age numbers. There are vids on youtube with similar home made setups for about £300 total. The key seems to be using quality 3w LED's...

Tricky Mo Mug hope you're nicely chillin in london :)