Starting over

Including growing tips and questions.
redeyezman

Re: Starting over

Post by redeyezman »

Az how do you flush? I googled it, but only became more confused.

From other forum:
2. The concept of "flushing" does not apply to DWC as there is no salt build up in a DWC if you are re-loading the nutrient solution every 7 to 10 days.

3. If you are talking about harvest "flushing" (which actually means 0 nutrients) then consider that you are starving your plant and forcing it to move N:P:K around in the plant to support the budding - which might be a good idea. I just let my nutrient solution water down over the last couple of weeks.
After reading this interested in hearing how you go about it.

Shells sink. Dreams float.
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

redeyezman wrote:Az how do you flush? I googled it, but only became more confused.

From other forum:
2. The concept of "flushing" does not apply to DWC as there is no salt build up in a DWC if you are re-loading the nutrient solution every 7 to 10 days.

3. If you are talking about harvest "flushing" (which actually means 0 nutrients) then consider that you are starving your plant and forcing it to move N:P:K around in the plant to support the budding - which might be a good idea. I just let my nutrient solution water down over the last couple of weeks.
After reading this interested in hearing how you go about it.
redeyezman, for me, I do Number 3, which is to flush with plain R/O water anywhere from 10 to 14 days. If the plant cooperates, I'll change out the buckets with plain R/O water twice during that time to try and rid as much nutes from the plant as possible.
Now on the flip side, I've had some plants that are so heavy that it's impossible to move the plants from one bucket to another. If that's the case, I do like the last line of your quote; I start a little bit earlier and water down the solution, at least 2 weeks before harvest, hoping to get rid of as much of the nutes as possible. I've had pretty good sucess both ways.
Now about that first line about NO salt build up, I have to disagree. If your using inorganic chemicals your going to have some salts, maybe not that much, but some no matter how often you change your buckets. At the end of a growing season and I'm cleaning everything up, I always have some white residual on the net pots....which I assume are salts from the chemicals. A good scubbing with soap and water takes care of that.
I hope that answers your question without confusing you anymore. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
If you never do, you'll never know.
Old freak

Post by Old freak »

WOW!!! That is incredible!
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

Hey AzL,
- Nice looking gear in the photos... :mrgreen:
- Hmm, unless I missed something, there's no mention of oil, ice-o, or cannabutter, so what did you do with the trim? :? :lol:
- What did you mean when you wrote "ready to be bagged?"
- Why did you choose to Reverse Osmosis (R/O) your water?
Before I started using Advanced Hydroponics of Holland, I was looking at the Advanced Nutrient Perfect pH system.
The only issues I had were the price and that I had to use R/O water. Adding yet another step in the process isn't really what I want. I want to KISS... :lol:
- When I was reading your method of flushing, I was somewhat puzzled as to why you would use a watered down nutrient flush for the last two weeks?
I've always been a firm believer in zero nutrients during the flush, and the only chemical(s) I might use would be those specifically designed for the flush.
Advanced Hydroponics has Final Solution, used only during the first six hours of the flush.
After that it's clear water with a pH of 6.3 (my preference) for the next week to ten days.
After a 5wk cure, the bud tastes yummy although still a bit to go for that cannasoir level quality... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Looking forward to the next time you start over... :)
Pssst, send me your trim... :shock: :lol:
... :mrgreen:
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Uncle Ron wrote:Hey AzL,
- Nice looking gear in the photos... :mrgreen:
- Hmm, unless I missed something, there's no mention of oil, ice-o, or cannabutter, so what did you do with the trim? :? :lol:
- What did you mean when you wrote "ready to be bagged?"
- Why did you choose to Reverse Osmosis (R/O) your water?
Before I started using Advanced Hydroponics of Holland, I was looking at the Advanced Nutrient Perfect pH system.
The only issues I had were the price and that I had to use R/O water. Adding yet another step in the process isn't really what I want. I want to KISS... :lol:
- When I was reading your method of flushing, I was somewhat puzzled as to why you would use a watered down nutrient flush for the last two weeks?
I've always been a firm believer in zero nutrients during the flush, and the only chemical(s) I might use would be those specifically designed for the flush.
Advanced Hydroponics has Final Solution, used only during the first six hours of the flush.
After that it's clear water with a pH of 6.3 (my preference) for the next week to ten days.
After a 5wk cure, the bud tastes yummy although still a bit to go for that cannasoir level quality... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Looking forward to the next time you start over... :)

Pssst, send me your trim... :shock: :lol:

... :mrgreen:
Thanks UR for the nice words....will keep everyone informed if I do another grow report. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
About the trim, lately I've been getting is giving to a friend who makes oil for her dog, who's got cancer. :( I hope it works. Before that I would make water hash with the trim. :mrgreen:
The term "bagged" means after my final trim and before I jar them for cure, I put them in large brown bags for a couple of days for that last bit of drying. I've been doing it that way for years. Some people don't like that method, but it works for me.
About R/O water, where we live, we get our local water from three different sources....ground water and river water from two different areas. With R/O water, I know my Ph will be consistent....around 6.8 to 7.0....the TDS is low....and it's not that expensive to me, personally. I'll add my own micro and macro nutes to keep the plants happy, rather then getting it from tap water. Part of the cost to grow I figure....and I'm small scale, so it's not that expensive. :D :D
UR, you must of misunderstood me about flushing.....if I can physically pick up the plant and move it do a bucket of fresh, plain water (ph at 5.7), I will do that. But sometimes the plants are so heavy they lean :x and need to be tied up to the top of the tent. Then it's very hard to move it to a bucket of fresh water without something breaking. :evil: :evil: So for the last 2 weeks or so, I just add plain water to the bucket and hope most of the nutes are gone before I harvest time.
So far, so good.
That should answer all your questions UR....if not, let me know. :wink:

AzLaker
8)
jimi62471

Post by jimi62471 »

I enjoy your posts AZlaker.. learning alot on this thread.. soon i will enjoy the benefits of controlling my own stash and start growing again! BTW .... where did you get the buckets? I was using an "emily's Garden " in the past, but I like your setup better... I usually only grew one strain at a time for fear of screwing anything up.. but with buckets like those, I could grow whatever tickles my fancy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Living The Dream...
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

jimi62471 wrote:I enjoy your posts AZlaker.. learning alot on this thread.. soon i will enjoy the benefits of controlling my own stash and start growing again! BTW .... where did you get the buckets? I was using an "emily's Garden " in the past, but I like your setup better... I usually only grew one strain at a time for fear of screwing anything up.. but with buckets like those, I could grow whatever tickles my fancy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks jimi.....the buckets are from Home Depot or wherever you can find 5 gallon plastic buckets and then wrapped with Electrical tape to keep the light out. :)
The lids with 6" netpots came from my local Hydroponic store.

AzLaker
8)
redeyezman

Post by redeyezman »

You can get buckets that are black too. Think that blocks more/less/same amount of light as wrapped orange ones?

Mold is scary stuff 8)
Shells sink. Dreams float.
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

redeyezman wrote:You can get buckets that are black too. Think that blocks more/less/same amount of light as wrapped orange ones?

Mold is scary stuff 8)
I think the only reason I went with the orange buckets was the cost....a couple of bucks cheaper per bucket I think?? :? :mrgreen:

AzLaker
8)
soapy

Post by soapy »

Superb read AZlaker thanks for all the info :wink: i love reading grow reports and this is a great one!!!
keep up the good work :mrgreen: ....
To be old and wise,You must first have to be Young and Stupid....
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

On the flushing tip ....how do you control yer ph and salts just lettin the nutes wither?...I just stop en 14- 19 day before harvest...no ph ,anything....seems to clear the nute out fine...I just got hold of a waterfarm and I've supercharged it with a bubble rock...it's a massive root and bud producer....have fun as always :mrgreen:
rockin into the night
davehaze

Post by davehaze »

If you feed a low EC of 1.2-1.4 throughout flower theres not much need to flush. Google heath robinson and read as much of his work as possible. 72oz plants that were fed EC 1.2 throughout... some growers start rooted clones at that strength. There is a nutrient response curve graph kicking about somewhere that shows once in the optimum range increasing EC doesn't have any effect on the plants except moving them nearer to toxicity.
sensi315

Post by sensi315 »

Az been wondering how much final product one can make with this kind of setup per plant?
AzLaker

Post by AzLaker »

Alot of different things determine the final outcome. Wattage of lights, type of plant, veg. time, etc....I use a 600 watt HPS for flowering and if I veg. for for a month before flipping, I'll get an avg. of 3oz. per plant, (no more then 4 plants flowering at a time). Veg. for just of couple of weeks and naturally the weight goes down. So to answer your question.....minimum 2oz per plant on a 2week veg. time then flip....maximum 4oz per plant after veggie 4 weeks then flip.

AzLaker
8)