Drooping leaves - thoughts?

Including growing tips and questions.
free_phil_spector

Drooping leaves - thoughts?

Post by free_phil_spector »

Have a plant that's about to enter full flowering but I've notice some of the leaves surrounding the flowers at the top of the plant are wilting and very thin - they're also very dark green and look a bit lifeless.

Anyone got any idea as to what the 'problem' might be - and is it even a problem? Pre flowering seems to be going quite well and the plant looks otherwise healthy. Am I under/over feeding it or does it not really matter if the leaves close to the flowers are drooping?

Any advice would be good guys - I've been searching the net and on here but cant really find any definitive answer.

It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
Cerebral

Re: Drooping leaves - thoughts?

Post by Cerebral »

Pictures would be helpful, but from what you've said my guess would be overfeeding as this usually makes the leaves go darker. The wilting thin leaves may be caused by overfeeding or it could be another problem. Whats your setup like? Growing in soil or hydro, if hydro what type and whats your current feeding schedule? How are your temps? Have you got good air extraction etc?
treetop

Post by treetop »

free_phil_spector wrote:Have a plant that's about to enter full flowering but I've notice some of the leaves surrounding the flowers at the top of the plant are wilting and very thin - they're also very dark green and look a bit lifeless.

Anyone got any idea as to what the 'problem' might be - and is it even a problem? Pre flowering seems to be going quite well and the plant looks otherwise healthy. Am I under/over feeding it or does it not really matter if the leaves close to the flowers are drooping?

Any advice would be good guys - I've been searching the net and on here but cant really find any definitive answer.
Someone that I barely know told me that it can be caused by lack of regular flushing. However that would only apply if the plant was in coco. This info is not supplied in the OP. Check your PH and EC as well and include that info plz.
How much did you produce?
George Hanson

Post by George Hanson »

Sounds like overfeeding...

Bit difficult without pics, but When you say 'wilting' around the top... Is it like a sort of 'clawing' of the leaves?

If so, which I believe it probably is you are overfeeding them.

Give them a good watering with plain water and reduce nutes in future waterings, (they don't need much fert in veg really see) hopefully they will come good, but if you carry on as you are the end product will suffer for it, seeing as you are about to enter flowering you should be able to rectify it somewhat before it spoils the end product.

All the best with it man.

GH... :)
Life is short, don't hang around waiting for others...
free_phil_spector

George Hanson wrote:Sounds like overfeeding...

Bit difficult without pics, but When you say 'wilting' around the top... Is it like a sort of 'clawing' of the leaves?

If so, which I believe it probably is you are overfeeding them.

Give them a good watering with plain water and reduce nutes in future waterings, (they don't need much fert in veg really see) hopefully they will come good, but if you carry on as you are the end product will suffer for it, seeing as you are about to enter flowering you should be able to rectify it somewhat before it spoils the end product.

All the best with it man.

GH... :)

Spot on - the advice I've been searching for :mrgreen:

Cheers man - yeah clawing exactly sums it up and I feared it was an overfeeding problem. I'll switch to ph water for a few days and see what happens.

Thanks guys 8)
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
George Hanson

Post by George Hanson »

No probs man, happy to help... :)

What medium are you using bud?

GH...
treetop

Post by treetop »

[q
Last edited by treetop on Tue 11th Oct 2016 02:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How much did you produce?
free_phil_spector

George Hanson wrote:No probs man, happy to help... :)

What medium are you using bud?

GH...

Moved home recently so in a new set up which is as crude as they come - it's a 'plant some seeds and hang a light in the spare room' kinda deal 8)
George Hanson

Post by George Hanson »

Coco? soil?

I assume coco?

Why I ask is that if you are in coco then all is good with doing the PH thang', but if you are in soil, no need to PH... ;)
free_phil_spector

She's in soil 8)
George Hanson

Post by George Hanson »

Ha, thought you might say that...

Don't use PH man, no need the soIl buffers it so no need ATALL for PH man.

Dump IT.
alpen rock

Post by alpen rock »

Don't use PH man, no need the soIl buffers it so no need ATALL for PH man.
+1
If you're in soil, you'll useleselly makes things complicated.

The drooping leaves could come from MANY things.of course a pic could help...
Are you using the recomended amount of nutes (a good soil is almost self sufficient)?are they nutes designed for soil grows?

Bear in mind that underfeeding is a lot easier to correct/control than overfeeding.Go easy with the nutes...

What kind of lights are you using?how close are they from the top of yr plants?
did your change your watering schedule?
a classic beginners mistake is to overwater/water too frequently (especially bad in soil)...let the soil dry between waterings, the herbs love it :mrgreen:

++
free_phil_spector

alpen rock wrote:
What kind of lights are you using?how close are they from the top of yr plants?
did your change your watering schedule?
a classic beginners mistake is to overwater/water too frequently (especially bad in soil)...let the soil dry between waterings, the herbs love it :mrgreen:

++
Switched to 600w HID last week. No change in watering schedule and the light is about 60cm from the top of the plants. But this problem only began once I switched to flowering nutes so yeah, I'm gonna ease right off and see if it corrects itself.

Thanks again for all the advice guys - I'll let you know how it goes. BTW that heatwave we had in the UK lately was a boon - a pal looked after another plant for me in his greenhouse for the last two months and she is an absolute beauty - man I wish every summer was like that :mrgreen:

Also - George Hanson - how fuckin spooky is this: I was watching Easy Rider as I wrote this post last night :shock: :shock:
Padge247

Post by Padge247 »

A friend of mine always flushes his plants just before he switches from grow to flowering. Just a week or two with plain H2O as he switches the light cycle then starts with the flowering nutrients =)
free_phil_spector

So an update on this - does anyone know how I can tell if I've fucked this plant completely? I know it's tough without pics but basically...

I've been watering with plain water since Sunday. Some of the lower leaves have turned yellow and died so I trimmed them off. The thing is it doesnt seem to be progressing at all. There are plenty of flowers but no sign of any buds still. I think it could still be producing flowers (it's hard to tell but visually it looks like a few new ones might have sprouted since the weekend) but as I say the existing flowers (the ones with the dark green drooping leaves) just dont seem to be budding. Is it fucked or do I just need more patience?

The other one (started at the same time and vegged in a greenhouse ffs) is coming on a beauty. Stinky buds and crystals all over the shop. Which makes me more convinced I've knacked this one.