Extended dark period before harvesting

Including growing tips and questions.
kushy

Extended dark period before harvesting

Post by kushy »

Hi all,

my balcony grow is about ready. Looks like the weather is changing here in Amsterdam so I've prepared a small dark room for drying them.

Was wondering if any of the experienced growers out there would recommend putting them in darkness for a day or two before the final chop?

Opinion seems to be totally split on this subject elsewhere on the net, so was wondering what what your thoughts are here?

treetop

Re: Extended dark period before harvesting

Post by treetop »

n/tharvest though.
Last edited by treetop on Tue 11th Oct 2016 02:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
How much did you produce?
kushy

Post by kushy »

Thanks Treetop, that's my usual procedure, but I'm tempted every year to try the longer 24 or 48 hour period, which can 'apparently' lead to exceptional resin production.

Incidently, this year Greenhouse Seeds have done me proud with their 'White Lemon' and 'Trainwreck'. I had some germination issues at first, but the customer support was excellent, and replacement seeds where quickly sent. Both strains have benefited from the great Summer and mild Autumn, producing big, sugar-heaven buds 8)
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

I put lights out for 24 before chopping, always have always will, you won't get anymore weight though its just what I was taught and continue to do. 8)
Scandalous Monk

Post by Scandalous Monk »

I definitely wouldn't go out of my way for a dark period. I generally harvest in the evening and the light cycle runs at night to keep temps down so they would have had 12 hrs dark anyway but I certainly wouldn't bother to do that if it wasn't convenient. IMHO of course :mrgreen:

Also one thing to bear in mind, an extended dark period could...I stress could not will....increase budrot chances if humidty is a problem
Uncle Ron

Post by Uncle Ron »

I've read different opinions as well, and the science stuff seems to make sense, at least the bits and pieces that I understand. :oops: ;) :lol:
Here's my take, absorbed from the plethora of information I've gathered speaking with seasoned growers and searching the internet:
- when the lights are out, photosynthesis all but stops, however the plant(s) metabolism doesn't, which means the plant is still growing but at a slower rate.
- I've also noted some growers state that they leave the plant(s) in the dark for up to three days, part of the drying process as well.

As previously mentioned in this thread, ICMAG is an excellent source of information, Rollitup is another, and there are many more... Google. ;)
Take what you read with a grain or a gram...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Peace...
Happy Farming...
... :mrgreen:
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

24-36 hours dark inna closit makes a happy stinker er er plant...just do it for yerself and see..it's only one more day ..YOULL SEE :D
rockin into the night
Scandalous Monk

I still reckon the difference in final product will be negligible and not detectable. Having said that, I'm willing to give it a try and will report my findings honestly :)

eta...why the fuck do we have to have a caps lock on the keyboard...fucker...had to rewrite half the post :!:
USbongLord

Post by USbongLord »

Tiny tiny diff..no one notices..lol...looks tiny bit more chrystally :mrgreen:
rockin into the night
Scandalous Monk

I have to admit I'M A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED THAT you didn't answer the caps lock question. See, it did it again, bloody caps lock :lol:
kushy

Post by kushy »

Thanks for all your feedback guys!

Time is against me this week but I managed to get them in the dark space - 20 hours before the final chop, so let's see what that does to enhance the already frosty buds. Kinda relieved to have them under cover as the smell in my studio was insane :mrgreen:
macky

Post by macky »

I to read about the dark period improves the THC level 24 to 36 hours dark before harvest.I,m growing ssh it strong anyway you cut it.It more important to cure in dark it takes ten days darkness to get the chloroform (greenness) out that I .am sure is the most important part of curing Cheers