Hello

The place for new members to say hello.
HashyH

Hello

Post by HashyH »

Hi, been enjoying reading this board for a long time.
Going back to the Dam early December with the wife. It will be my 8th trip, her 2nd. Although she doesn't touch the herb she's pretty tolerant of my habit/hobby/vocation :twisted: and has surprised me with this trip.
Haven't been for 5 years, was saddened to read about so many cs which have now closed. I guess this will inevitably mean that the remaining shops will be very busy.
This will be the first time I've gone during a weekend and I'm worrying a bit about the cs being ram packed. So we will probably just buy & fly in most places and camp out in the smoker friendly bars. There weren't many of those on my past few trips due to the weird legal limbo following cs having to choose between selling weed or beer and not both, and also the tobacco ban.
Nes and a few places on Warmostraat being good places to chill.
Are there any decent/spacious smoker friendly bars around Spui?
Its my birthday on the first night we get there and I plan on making the pilgrimage to Spui in order to get some nice hashes from dampkring and tweede kamer before going for a huge steak in Alberto Caretta's in Spui (home of my favourite steaks in the world, always go there at least once a trip).
So it would be cool to find a tolerant bar so we can both indulge in our respective wares, I don't really drink and as I say she doesn't take well to ganja.
Thanks in advance and keep those great stories coming.
Peace and buds
HH

OneHighMofo

Re: Hello

Post by OneHighMofo »

I wouldn't worry about the CS's being too busy - there are always quiet spots to be found if you're willing to go looking for them.

Especially if you get off the beaten track a bit and head for the establishments less likely to draw crowds of youngsters.
Siberie, Solo, Tertulia or 137 close to the centre. Mr K's or Paradox to the west. Yo Yo or Katsu in De Pijp, Het ballonetje out to the west. if it's open De Graal at Albert Cuypstraat 25I is a smoker friendly cafe (ex CS) worth a look and I doubt they'd mind you taking a bottle of wine in but probs best to ask and call ahead to check first and see if they're open. They're all on good tram routes if you don't fancy walking or cycling.

The Spui is only 10-15 minutes walk (2-5 minutes cycling) from all of the smoker friendly bars. I think the closest would be Doors Palace on the northern stretch of Spuistraat perhaps. There's another opposite Utopia that I can't remember the name of (ask at Utopia I'm sure they'll point it out).

Welcome - have fun! let us know how you get on.
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Thanks OHMF :D
I plan on doing a travelogue, memory willing :x
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Dafuq OHMF? How can you give a recommendation on smoker friendly bars and not mention the one and only Batavia? Our lair, home base, refugium, home away from home? Our syrup den? Our dab dungeon? The MoFo-ing batcave!?!?!! For shame dude, for shame!

@HashyH: welcome dude, tweede Kamer is as sure a bet as you can make in good value hash for your money, a go-to place for all hash heads, so good choice there. Dampkring is also ok, but much more hit and miss lately. Utopia has been curating quite a nice hash menu lately and if you feel like a small trip The Spirit has very good value for money classic Moroccans. Boerejoengens chain is great for block hash and especially CS Johnny had some killer offers in July / August.

With respect to smoker friendly bars the doors (as suggested by OHMF) would also be our closest pick, but really, really recommend taking the extra ten minutes or so (or a brief hop on a tram) to cafe Batavia 1920, it is two doors down from CS Central and has the best dang smoker's room in all of existence, period. It is downstairs by the canal side, enough of a hard place to find 5o avoid most if the Muppets, and, BTW, the direct descendant of the Nes!!! :) Simon, who used to manage the Nes before Dave took over, is in charge and you will find a lot of the clientele here. Ali, one if the BTs at tweede Kamer for some years and a great guy, also works there and quite a lot of the "local scene" hang here, including quite a few ACD'ers... Nugs might as well have his third postal address here (don't ask why there are two to begin with ;) ), which is as good a recommendation as you can get!

CC
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Thanks CC.
We are staying not far from Batavia, by the NEMO. Will definitely check it out. Was really just wondering about somewhere close to 2e Kamer, in case it is packed. Intend to do a lot of walking/exploring so will check things out.
HH
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

No cycling though I think.
Hired bikes in the past, crazy fun. But 3 days/nights of getting smashed is our top priority tbh, as only parents making the most of a weekend sans kids can do :lol: :lol:
CopenhagenCouple

We can only imagine... ;) Sounds like a good plan, although in our not so humble opinions having a bike only maximizes the fun as you are much more free to skip over to the next place to get more hammered and biking through Amsterdam smashed AF is practically the "national sport" of a large fraction of the forum regulars :D

It also makes it much more possible for you to go on quick restocking missions and be back practically before the missus can get another round ordered! :) You can always leave the bikes locked up securely in one if the many racks when you eventually feel too blasted to ride...

CC
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Thu 21st Sep 2017 06:48 am You can always leave the bikes locked up securely in one if the many racks when you eventually feel too blasted to ride...

CC
TOP TIP. Quick snap of locked bike and surroundings on the phone every time ........ can save much hassle relocating bike later on !
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Ahhh you're not staying in the Spui? I'd assumed you were.
Yes yes Batavia is a must. Sustenance, vibes, close to everything. perfection. Sometimes a bit hot and smoky but if you're high enough you won't be able to care.

I honestly can't imagine being able to enjoy Amsterdam without a bike now. I'd be super frustrated not being able to zip about. Man when I think of the years I've spent pounding those cobbles I feel utterly ridiculous.

Top tip from Chopper(I'm on my third already)Mike the master-muncher of paradox space-cakes there.
Personally I favour the strategy of simply asking Nugs in a blind panic: "Dude - where's my bike?"
CopenhagenCouple

f00k me that is a hot tip CM, dunno why we never did that ( would e.g. have saved some trudging up and down OZV /OZA looking for those fuckers on 420)...
HashyH

Post by HashyH »

Thanks guys, nothing's really set in stone (pun intended) yet re the bikes.
May end up hiring them but, weather permitting, we're both into taking leisurely strolls.

With regards to restocking, I can't really see myself buying any more than 7-10g of top shelf hash and a couple of g of bud and making that last the weekend.
I've drastically reduced my consumption over the past few years, to the point where I'm having a clean break til we get to Dam in December. Will probably get a bag at home a few days before we go in order to rebuild tolerance.
I've been 7 times before and each time spent close to a grand on smokes alone. Always used to bring a bit back but not into that anymore. This next trip will probably be my last. I bloody love weed/hash but the legal situation is a constant pain.
Landed my dream job a few years ago and need to be on the ball constantly, a lot of responsibility involved. My kids are getting to an age where they're aware of various substances via education. I don't want them to know what I've been up to, and cutting all ties with criminal elements in this country (UK) has diminished my paranoia regarding that.
I'm not here to preach to others though, to each his own and all that. It's just 20+ years of heavy dope smoking started to take it's toll on my concentration levels and weight (really suffer from insatiable munchies)
Also, quit tobacco a few months ago and it always goes hand in hand with weed personally. Don't like pipes, don't wanna invest in a vape and smoking pure is a total waste imho.

Saying all that though, I'm really looking forward to smoking myself into stupidity during my birthday weekend, it's a lot easier giving up this time cos I know I'm gonna have a blowout.
So a pouch of Drum gold and ~10g will be all I need. If anyone's in town during the second week in Dec then I'll happily pass on my leftovers.

Again, thanks for the advice guys.
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

Welcome to the forum.

What dates will you be in Amsterdam?
I'll post you on the Whos In Town page.
You can see who else may be in town and any Toke & Talks that are planned.

Enjoy
FlyByNite - Travel preference, not business practice
Coffeeshop Menus - Let your mouse do the walking