Hello ACD, would be great to Meet!

The place for new members to say hello.
Highfunctstoner

Hello ACD, would be great to Meet!

Post by Highfunctstoner »

Hello Ladies, Gents, and Delinquents ;)

Thought I'd say hello as I'm new to this forum. I fly into Amsterdam a few times a year and I love it. Easily my favorite city. Problem is it's always better with someone who can appreciate it the same way I do. Particularly the smoking bit. I'd like to make friends in and/or around Amsterdam who appreciate and enjoy smoking and the coffeeshop culture.

Flew in with the gf a couple of times, as a non smoker she tolerates my smoking habbits, but I end up feeling rushed and pressured and don't get to savour the moment. As such I prefer to keep my Amsterdam trips solo. While that's still fun, it would be great to meet people and have some rapport with a group of friends.

I'm 33, a corporate professional, well traveled and I can roll a mean joint :) Cannabis is highly illegal where I live and as such I only get to indulge whenever in Amsterdam or other cities that have legalized it. Would be great to get in touch with people who'll help me make the most of that time.

Thanks everyone.

H

Pass joints, not judgement.
matty223

Re: Hello ACD, would be great to Meet!

Post by matty223 »

Hello, and welcome to the forum, stay long enough you will make life long friends

Peace matty
The Stiff American
choppermike

Post by choppermike »

Welcome aboard, you have found the right place.
.. in the avoid curve :mrgreen:
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

choppermike wrote: Thu 14th Dec 2017 11:40 am Welcome aboard, you have found the right place.
You have definitely found the right place!

If you haven't already, check out Lemming's and other traveler's travelogues. I'd start with this one ACD's 4/20 Gathering 2017!

For a change in venue, there's Barcelona
Highfunctstoner

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Will definitely be sticking around by the looks of it.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Hello H - welcome to the forum.
Something tells me you'll like it here! If you can make it to town for the week around April 20th next year you're bound to make some good progress towards your goals!
Highfunctstoner

Thanks for the heads up Mofo. Will definitely try to plan it. Will keep you posted closer to the date.
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

There is always the Whos In Town page.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/0-WhosIn ... InTown.htm

Enjoy
FlyByNite
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Hoi there fellow delinquent and welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

As several of the usual suspects have already stated, you have probably come to the right place. If you are eager to meet likeminded individuals (and get as blasted as you wouldn't believe, if you so desire), the lanky yorkie is right on the mark: aim for the 420 gathering! :mrgreen:

Have fun here...

CC
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Highfunctstoner

CopenhagenCouple wrote: Thu 14th Dec 2017 06:05 pm Hoi there fellow delinquent and welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:

As several of the usual suspects have already stated, you have probably come to the right place. If you are eager to meet likeminded individuals (and get as blasted as you wouldn't believe, if you so desire), the lanky yorkie is right on the mark: aim for the 420 gathering! :mrgreen:

Have fun here...

CC
Thanks for the welcome! Will definitely be looking into it. Sounds like a fun group. What goes down usually? Does everyone from ACD get together?
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

Highfunctstoner wrote: Thu 14th Dec 2017 09:27 am Thought I'd say hello as I'm new to this forum. ... I'd like to make friends in and/or around Amsterdam who appreciate and enjoy smoking and the coffeeshop culture.
Welcome. I would suggest you read some posts and you too may too become addicted to ACD.

Age aside, you and I have much in common.

The journey to Amsterdam is for me at best a 7.5 hour flight. This means I usually only get to go once a year, so I like to make the most of it.

My first trip was, like you, with a partner. It was great but it could have been so much better. I felt lost in an alien but beautiful world, in no way feeling 'at home'.

It was 3 more years before I returned, this time with no wife and much less than half the former collective assets to my name. The financial condition necessitated extreme economy so I booked a dorm room bed at the Bulldog Hotel and Hostel.

I was 42 at the time and had never experienced a hostel. This only added to my fish-out-of-water feeling. When I got to my room, I met one of my roommates, a girl my daughters age from England. The Puritan American Genome kicked in and I assumed I was put in the wrong room. I went back to the front desk clerk to straighten it out.

As I explained, Sandra politely listened to the long story waiting for 'the problem'.
'There's an 18 year old girl in my room."
She paused before responding. Her words were superfluous, her face said everything.
"So, what's THE PROBLEM?!"

Not even realizing it, Sandra cleared my mind of it's clutter and I finally saw before me the true wonder and potential of Amsterdam. Suddenly I felt at home.

Since that trip I have always returned to the Bulldog and in doing so made many friendships with staff and fellow dormers. Many of the dormers I meet feel the same way and return to the Bulldog.

One way you might consider achieving your goal is to become a repeat customer at your choice of lodging. The Dutch really seem to love this and I've grown to love it too. Too many perks to mention and I doubt the Bulldog is unique in this manner. At this point, as much as 80% of my friends and connections in Amsterdam are or were Bulldog employees or friends of employees. In contrast, about 80% or more of my ACD connections are from outside Amsterdam.

Just a suggestion, welcome to the forum.
Ed (the head)
He who tries to shine dims his own light
Highfunctstoner

ed the head wrote: Fri 15th Dec 2017 10:47 am
Highfunctstoner wrote: Thu 14th Dec 2017 09:27 am Thought I'd say hello as I'm new to this forum. ... I'd like to make friends in and/or around Amsterdam who appreciate and enjoy smoking and the coffeeshop culture.
Welcome. I would suggest you read some posts and you too may too become addicted to ACD.

Age aside, you and I have much in common.

The journey to Amsterdam is for me at best a 7.5 hour flight. This means I usually only get to go once a year, so I like to make the most of it.

My first trip was, like you, with a partner. It was great but it could have been so much better. I felt lost in an alien but beautiful world, in no way feeling 'at home'.

It was 3 more years before I returned, this time with no wife and much less than half the former collective assets to my name. The financial condition necessitated extreme economy so I booked a dorm room bed at the Bulldog Hotel and Hostel.

I was 42 at the time and had never experienced a hostel. This only added to my fish-out-of-water feeling. When I got to my room, I met one of my roommates, a girl my daughters age from England. The Puritan American Genome kicked in and I assumed I was put in the wrong room. I went back to the front desk clerk to straighten it out.

As I explained, Sandra politely listened to the long story waiting for 'the problem'.
'There's an 18 year old girl in my room."
She paused before responding. Her words were superfluous, her face said everything.
"So, what's THE PROBLEM?!"

Not even realizing it, Sandra cleared my mind of it's clutter and I finally saw before me the true wonder and potential of Amsterdam. Suddenly I felt at home.

Since that trip I have always returned to the Bulldog and in doing so made many friendships with staff and fellow dormers. Many of the dormers I meet feel the same way and return to the Bulldog.

One way you might consider achieving your goal is to become a repeat customer at your choice of lodging. The Dutch really seem to love this and I've grown to love it too. Too many perks to mention and I doubt the Bulldog is unique in this manner. At this point, as much as 80% of my friends and connections in Amsterdam are or were Bulldog employees or friends of employees. In contrast, about 80% or more of my ACD connections are from outside Amsterdam.

Just a suggestion, welcome to the forum.
Ed (the head)
Thank you for that Ed. I really enjoyed reading it. My story with Amsterdam is similar in some ways and different in others. I too fly about 7 hours at best to the dam, only from the oposite side to you. My first time was in 2013 accompanying an ex on a business trip.

I've done some moving around since an early age and I guess I'm what one would consider a third culture kid. One thing I grew accustomed to is being comfortable in a transitional stage and never quite feeling at home. This is where my story differs to yours. What caught me off guard was how I instantaneously felt at home in Amsterdam.

Walking by the canals on my first day I was surprised by how everyone seemed to belong but not belong there at the same time if that makes sense. The open mindedness, tolerance, and just the celebration of what's different had me hooked from the first day. That in addition to how much I loved sitting right there on the sidewalk terrace, rolling my joint and enjoying it in plane sight with a cup of coffee care free not having to look over my shoulder. I could tell right there and then this is where I belonged.

Since 2013 I made it a point to come back to Amsterdam every chance I got. Long weekends, public holidays, transits on the way to and from business trips, and it drove everyone crazy. Not everyone sees what we see I guess.

2015 came, that's when my ex became my ex and my situation changed drastically and no longer permitted me my indulgence. I haven't been back since December 2015. For the first time in my life, I feel homesick.

I haven't stayed in hostels before, but from what you tell me, I'll be sure to next time. Things are looking up for 2018 and I hope I'll make it in April to hopefully meet you and other fellow ACD-ers. I look forward to having a smoke, turning up the collar of my jacket to the brisk Amsterdam air and wandering the streets.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad I found this community and I hope to become an active contributor.

H
Highfunctstoner

Thanks for the update. I have some catch up reading to do :)
ed the head
Location: New Amsterdam of my mind and of my making. Trips:3, Haj:14

Post by ed the head »

Highfunctstoner wrote: Fri 15th Dec 2017 04:32 pm Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad I found this community and I hope to become an active contributor.
H
Amsterdam is mijn Mekka
He who tries to shine dims his own light