emails from the "Boss"!!

Post tips here on how to join, how to post pictures, etc.
artymac

emails from the "Boss"!!

Post by artymac »

This is probably something i've done wrong, but it might be worth reporting in case something is amiss!!
I had emails reportedly from "Lemming@coffeeshop.freeuk.com" ('us'), saying either "New topic" or "Forum post", Notification- "Other".
The first one tried to redirect me to buying an iphone that had been unlocked, the rest were about topics on the forum being updated, giving links to view these. it went along the lines of " you are watching the forum 'other' at 'coffeeshopdirect.com/forum' ".

That "Lemming" has got 'robots' workin' fir him, ....he's like a modern day "Willie Wonka"!!!! 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just hope i've not let a virus into the place!!! :oops: :oops:

Balou

Re: emails from the "Boss"!!

Post by Balou »

You probably should have posted this in the "The Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory and its Forums" not in the FAQ.

Peace,
Balou
Are you stoned? Like a gravel road bitch, like a gravel road!
artymac

Post by artymac »

"Balou", cheers for that advice, but this is emails i'm beening sent!! I was a little concerned that someone under the name of "Lemming" had gained access to the site and were using it for their own ends!! ....or, i'd done something wrong and had the emails sent myself!!
Any ideas?
Balou

Post by Balou »

There was some iPhone spam last week on the forum. Did you report the post to Lemming using the report button? Other than that maybe email Lemming, that is his email address.

Peace,
Balou
Boner

Post by Boner »

You've subscribed to the threads/posts somehow, haven't a clue how you unsubscribe, maybe look on any of the threads you have emails about and see if theres a button to unsubscribe?
Being pedantic and knobbish since 1972
Balou

Post by Balou »

Boner may be right. You can unsubscribe in the User Control Panel and then click on Subscriptions on the left.

Peace,
Balou
artymac

Post by artymac »

Well thanks for your help once again "Balou" and "Boner", (Sounds like a bizarre "Eurovision Song Contest" act!!) i tried looking in the 'user control panel', but i'm not subscribed to anything!! ....but i did find in 'manage drafts' i could view and edit these!! :oops: :oops:
....which has got me thinking... when i'm editing a post in here, does the time limit apply, 1 hour, for you to save anything you've typed, as i've often got distracted!! and 'lost' everything because i've timed out! :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
I'm sure this has caused a lot of people, a lot of swearing over the years, so am i safer to do my typing in this 'manage drafts' section?
All replies gratefully received!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Balou

Post by Balou »

As you're typing a post/reply you can always click "Save Draft" near the Submit button. I typically use it when I'm typing a long post like you eluded to. Up until we go this new board I would type it in Word and then paste so I wouldn't time out.

Peace,
Balou
XANAX

Post by XANAX »

in your user control panel, click on "board preferences" and under "edit global settings," deselect "users can contact me by email," and "admins can email me information." Be sure to hit the "submit" button to process the changes.
artymac

Post by artymac »

Thanks for that "XANAX", that looks to be where you can sort these things, ....although it doesn't explain how it happened in the first place!!! as anything i had to smoke recently wasn't capable of reducing me to that level of ingenuity, or incompetence!!!
Thanks again "Boner" & "Balou",
i'm finding more and more places in the "forum" everytime i look....in it's own way it's a little like "Amsterdam". :wink: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
XANAX

Post by XANAX »

artymac wrote: ....which has got me thinking... when i'm editing a post in here, does the time limit apply, 1 hour, for you to save anything you've typed, as i've often got distracted!! and 'lost' everything because i've timed out! :shock: :twisted:
I missed this comment earlier.

When you first log in, be sure to check the "remember me" box, otherwise submitting a post may time out where you lose what you've typed. Has happened to me on other forums, so I know about this tip! :P
artymac

Post by artymac »

Cheers "Xanax" for that last 'tip', i couldn't tell you how many times i 'timed out' when typing a reply, then just given up on that post, as i'm so annoyed!!! .... if i could type quickly it wouldn't be so bad, it's just all that wasted time and effort that grates me.... Why 1 hour Mr "Lemming"? ....i've felt like joining you in throwing myself off a cliff, when this happened on occasion!!
....Now i'm goin' to be a pest and ask another question i've thought of!!
Is there a limit to the size/length of reply that you can post?
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

The Lemming@coffeeshop.freeuk.com address is public so every spammer out there knows it and bombards it with junk. Emails sent by me personally will be from a different account. I'm not going to display that address here but, if you've ever received an email from me, you'll know it and my distinctive signature.

The forum software (phpBB) is capable of sending emails by itself. These will have this signature:

Thanks, A Robot
(on behalf of Lemming)

As mentioned above, you can choose not to receive these automated emails by setting preferences in the User Control Panel and by not subscribing to topics.
cattales1960

Post by cattales1960 »

Its easy to accidently subscribe to a thread. I always do it then undo it.
I need a miracle everyday
artymac

Post by artymac »

Cheers for that "Lemming"!!, I was a little concerned that someone was using your identity!!

As soon as you find out somebody else has managed to subscribe to a thread without realising it, you don't feel like such a technophobe!! ....i'm in good company Mrs "cat"!!