Public transit card company cashed in €55 million in profits these past 5 years: report

Getting there and getting around.
Fat_old_dwarf

Re: Public transit card company cashed in €55 million in profits these past 5 years: report

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I was told the €7.50 charge was to ensure that you couldn't get on with not enough credit to pay for your journey. I had wondered what would happen if you checked in, not realising, for example, that you only had €1 or so to pay for a journey costing €2; I imagined an eternity of riding the system, unable to check out, and possibly being thrown sandwiches from time to time by kindly souls.

Kenshiro

Re: Public transit card company cashed in €55 million in profits these past 5 years: report

Post by Kenshiro »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Tue 14th Feb 2017 06:58 pm I was told the €7.50 charge was to ensure that you couldn't get on with not enough credit to pay for your journey. I had wondered what would happen if you checked in, not realising, for example, that you only had €1 or so to pay for a journey costing €2; I imagined an eternity of riding the system, unable to check out, and possibly being thrown sandwiches from time to time by kindly souls.
On the blue " anonymous" chipkaarts you have to have a minimum of €30 before travel (on the train at least haven't tried it on buses\trams)
! I don't remember this being the case when my friend gave me his card to use back around 2009?
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

sNc wrote: Fri 17th Mar 2017 11:33 pmOn the blue " anonymous" chipkaarts you have to have a minimum of €30 before travel (on the train at least haven't tried it on buses\trams)
! I don't remember this being the case when my friend gave me his card to use back around 2009?
I bought mine in 2012, and at that time you had to have a minimum of €20 to use the train, so it might well have gone up if fares have risen. Anyway, it finally happened - I had only €1.86 on my card, and the fare came to €1.87. I was expecting to have to go somewhere to sort this out, and possibly be put on the public transport offenders register, but it didn't happen.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Sat 18th Mar 2017 08:03 am
sNc wrote: Fri 17th Mar 2017 11:33 pmOn the blue " anonymous" chipkaarts you have to have a minimum of €30 before travel (on the train at least haven't tried it on buses\trams)
I bought mine in 2012, and at that time you had to have a minimum of €20 to use the train, so it might well have gone up if fares have risen. Anyway, it finally happened - I had only €1.86 on my card, and the fare came to €1.87. I was expecting to have to go somewhere to sort this out, and possibly be put on the public transport offenders register, but it didn't happen.
Haha public transport offenders register that made me chuckle😂
matty223

Post by matty223 »

A friend gave me a ov chip card, i found it was more expensive to use that then to use the 96 hour pass , thats just my opinion

Peace matty
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Well, obviously it depends on how much you use it. A 4-day pass costs €22, so if you use more than €5.50 worth of public transport a day on average, it makes sense to buy it. Some will, some won't.

If you have a card, you can put a pass for any number of days on it at the machines in the Metro stations. But you have to do it in advance; it's not like the Oyster Card, which automatically caps the amount you pay when you reach the point that a day pass would have cost. It would be nice if the GVB adopted this policy, but I doubt they ever will.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Sun 26th Mar 2017 04:03 pm Well, obviously it depends on how much you use it. A 4-day pass costs €22, so if you use more than €5.50 worth of public transport a day on average, it makes sense to buy it. Some will, some won't.

If you have a card, you can put a pass for any number of days on it at the machines in the Metro stations. But you have to do it in advance; it's not like the Oyster Card, which automatically caps the amount you pay when you reach the point that a day pass would have cost. It would be nice if the GVB adopted this policy, but I doubt they ever will.
What are the conditions for the 4 day pass? Does it only cover Amsterdam or nationwide?
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Just what the GVB covers: https://en.gvb.nl/gvb-dag-meerdagenkaart. So not those buses you see around town run by other companies.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Sun 26th Mar 2017 05:49 pm Just what the GVB covers: https://en.gvb.nl/gvb-dag-meerdagenkaart. So not those buses you see around town run by other companies.
Thanks! So I think I should be alright with the bus from Leiden to Noordwijk?
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Not with an Amsterdam pass.

You can buy an OV-chipkaart for €7.50, and load it up with however much credit you want. Or continue to pay individual fares as I assume you have been doing. Individual tickets are likely to be more expensive, so work out what you've been spending on fares.

This site should enable you to work things out: http://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/ ... -chipkaart
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Wed 29th Mar 2017 04:41 pm Not with an Amsterdam pass.

You can buy an OV-chipkaart for €7.50, and load it up with however much credit you want. Or continue to pay individual fares as I assume you have been doing. Individual tickets are likely to be more expensive, so work out what you've been spending on fares.

This site should enable you to work things out: http://www.ns.nl/en/travel-information/ ... -chipkaart
Thanks, now i understand its just Amsterdam pass....
I have anonymous o.v chipkaart already from January so will just use it and load it as i was doing, just wanted to check i wasnt missing out!
Sanchez_

Post by Sanchez_ »

cruses wrote: Thu 13th Feb 2020 06:49 pm I was told the €7.50 charge was to ensure that you couldn't get on with not enough credit to pay for your journey. I had wondered what would happen if you checked in, not realising, for example, that you only had €1 or so to pay for a journey costing €2; I imagined an eternity of riding the system, unable to check out, and possibly being thrown sandwiches from time to time by kindly souls.
The anonymous OV Chipkaart requires you have a minimum of €20 for rail travel beforehand for that very reason.