OV-chipkaart validity

Getting there and getting around.
Fat_old_dwarf

OV-chipkaart validity

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

These are supposed to be valid for 5 years. I was going to start a thread to ask how you know you're coming to the end of it, and what happens, when I realised that mine is in fact over 5 years old, and I've managed to put more money on it via the machines in the Metro without problems. Does anyone know if something is likely to happen at some point, and if so, is it likely to involve a lot of hassle and trying to get refunds on unused credit?

Fat_old_dwarf

Re: OV-chipkaart validity

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Quiet here, so I might as well talk to myself -- I do like an appreciative audience. Care for a drag off this pipe? Cheers, don't mind if I do.

I have gone to the relevant website, and am none the wiser. But I love it.

A personal OV-chipkaart is valid for five years. An anonymous OV-chipkaart is valid for four to five years.

This may well be the strangest sentence I've ever read on a website dealing with public transport. What determines the exact length of time an anonymous card is valid? How is one supposed to know? Not a hint.

After this time your card will expire and you will need to replace the card.

Well, yes, but thanks for spelling it out.

The card's five-year lifespan has been determined on the basis of the expected thermal, electrical and mechanical 'durability' of the material the card is made from, in combination with normal use of the card.

You know, I didn't really need to know this. But I suppose all knowledge is useful, or at least might be, so thanks for that. Not sure I believe you, though.

Normal use refers to careful use, as with all (bank) cards.

This really calls for a riff on the Dutch concept of normality, but maybe some other time. It's not a bank card. Why throw that in?

The five-year validity is also determined by the safety requirements for the OV-chipkaart.

Of course, only to be expected. It's only a while after reading this that you wonder what those safety requirements might be. Is the card likely to explode without warning, or turn into a puddle of goo?

https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/everything- ... e-list.htm
CopenhagenCouple

Re: OV-chipkaart validity

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

It always amuses me how worthless such guides are, unless I really need to understand the subject matter, in which case it gets extremely annoying...

They probably cut and pasted most of that text from some generic stuff the company that produces the chip cards forwarded them, hence the bank card reference.

One way to interpret the text could be that the card itself must be replaced due to it reaching it's expected technical lifetime, but that the "account" it covers is transferable v(at least in the case of a personal card).

I would suggest going to whatever place you can buy these cards with an actual person servicing you (don't use them so have no clue where that would be), and ask them for directions. I think it would be reasonable to expect any remaining funds on an old card to the new one which replaced it...

Cc
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol: