F1 2014

Moderators: Balou, cantona7

KeyMonCha

Re: F1 2014

Post by KeyMonCha »

Lemming wrote:
Doesn't Jenson Button look skinny? Makes him look like an old man or terminally ill! It seems that all but the midget drivers are having to starve themselves to keep car weight down.

Thinking about it, surely the death of his dad has had an incredible effect on Jenson... It didn't really register with me at first for some reason... I guess i blocked it out of my head as i really though John came across as a really genuine, likeable person... And as a dad, he must have been a massive positive influence over Jenson and his career...

...Won't be the same without him hanging around the pit-lane anymore... :(

RIP John!

Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

KMC - very good point.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Great to see Vettel 13th in his Clio (as my mate put it) but the general rate of recovery from Red Bull looks ominous.

Sad to see Lotus and Caterham in so much trouble. As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if they both withdraw from F1 before next season.

Kevin Magnussen is looking very impressive isn't he? Seems like an inspired choice by McLaren. Do you think he could emulate Lewis Hamilton's first season?
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Just watched quali properly (we don't have pay TV so it's Beeb here). I take back what I said about Caterham, Kamui did OK really. Standout performances from Magnussen and Ricciardo. Actually Vettel being beaten by Ricciardo might be even better than the Red Bull limping.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Lemming wrote:Just watched quali properly (we don't have pay TV so it's Beeb here). I take back what I said about Caterham, Kamui did OK really. Standout performances from Magnussen and Ricciardo. Actually Vettel being beaten by Ricciardo might be even better than the Red Bull limping.
If not for Raikkonen( :oops: ), Would Vettel have been front row? ...He was unlucky to miss his final run, but if Brazil 2012 is anything to go by, he'll fight like a dog to get back into contention... I suppose our only hope is that Ricciardo will be able to fight with Seb like Webber did in 2009/10, before he seemed to lose steam(or Vettel improved). It would be nice to see a real battle in the Red Bull camp again.

Still going to stay on my limb regarding Ferrari... I'll say Alonso for the win, maybe a Merc in second and Red Bull will podium... Who's Red Bull? ....Who's do you think! :lol:

Come on rain!
Drugsbunny

Post by Drugsbunny »

It would be great to see Ricciardo beat Vettel, the oz fans will go crazy if he does. :)

I think either HMilton or Rosberg for a podium. but as for a winner I really would not like to predict that one.

Db
Herb!
Take happiness with the heartache, go through life wearing a smile.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

So, Mercedes dominant, as expected. If they carry on like that it'll be as boring as Red Bull winning everything. I don't think that will happen though.

More cars finished than most were predicting a couple of weeks ago. The degree of recovery is extraordinary, not least Red Bull's, even if Vettel did brake down and Ricciardo was disqualified.

Ferrari are off to a poor start. Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren and Williams all looked faster than them to me.

Not a classic race IMHO but sets us up for a great season with new stars Magnussen, Bottas and, maybe, Ricciardo.

Next race will be much hotter so that will expose any overheating problems.

What do you think?
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

Fantastic race, especially if you are a McLaren fan 8) Kev (what a name for a F1 driver lol) was fantastic and Button should get used to being number 2 at McLaren again. Disappointed that the kimi / Alonso scrap didn't happen and slightly gutted for Ricciardo, what a debut for Red Bull. Laughing my arse off at Dietrich Mateschitz (owner of Red Bull) who is saying he may quit F1, he must have been on a come down after too many vodka + red bulls.
Also I found a good F1 blog site. Pretty good at explaining the technical side of F1, power train engines, front / rear aero's etc http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

Go on Lewis :D enjoyed the race although I am sure the gap will close in a few races time. Vettle seemed in good spirits and I laughed when he was speaking to Rosberg in German knowing Lewis couldn't follow the conversation. Massa and Bottas... ok Bottas had better rubber but if he couldn't draw along side Massa I doubt he would have got past Button. Is he a better driver than Massa? I don't know but one thing is clear; Massa is done with the 2nd fiddle.
A real shame about Kev taking Kimi out but did well to make up the places. I am also liking Riciardo too taking Vettle on early on like that, just a shame about the run of bad luck he has had.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Yeah, I noticed them speaking in German to unsettle Hamilton.
Words to Massa last race were really tactless.
Ricciardo is looking good. At least if Renault do get their engine working better he might give Vettel a hard time.
Lewis must be favourite to win again this time at least.
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

Well apparently Rosberg was asking Vettel how much he paid the wheelnut guy to screw up the pit stop :mrgreen: Agree with you about Ricciardo though; has showed real promise just been very unlucky so far. Hopefully he will have a good race, make up some places to keep up the pressure on Vettel.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Wow....

What an incredible race we had this weekend. As i was still in a slightly unenthusiastic mood regarding this years regulations, i settled down for what i thought would be another parade around the track with limited thrills and toned-down speed... Instead, i got 2 hours of the best wheel to wheel racing i've seen in years...

The Mercedes stole the show from the first lap right through until the end, starting with Hamiltons excellent pass on the inside of turn one, with Rosberg managing to hover in the 1 second DRS range for the majority of the time, it gave the fight a uncertainty that i enjoyed immensely. After the safety-car, and the fact that Rosberg had the better tyres, i expected Nico to run away with it in the closing laps, but no, Hamilton keeps surprising me with his abilities... Anyone else tries something similar they end up taking others out... Hamilton seems to be charmed in the Merc.

The Red Bulls STILL haven't given me reason to doubt their championship bid... I still think their car will improve and win some GP's this year... But the in-team fight that seems to be building is so promising that i'm almost drooling at the though of a plucky Australian (almost)rookie taking on the already legendary Mr Vettel in a totally level playing-field... Do i detect some sore-loser-i-ness-nesss from the used-to-be-always-smiling-and-joking Sebastian? ...Is he turning into Schumacher?

Anyway, here's hoping the season continues on like this for the foreseeable future... Rosberg and Hamilton can fight all season, Vettel can winge, and Ricciardo can be the man Webber always wanted to be.

...I know there are more than four cars, but that's my typing limit for today... I'll leave my frustrations with Ferrari, and my enjoyment of the other in-team competitions(Force India,Williams) until later.

Oh yeah...

...Apparently, they're going to address the noise issue at Barcelona. :D
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Absolutely. Possibly the best race I've ever seen. Battles all the way through the field, not just at the front.

I agree Red Bull aren't out yet but great to see Ricciardo beating Vettel.

More races like that please.
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

Agreed, best race in years. Best of the rest... Force India and especially Perez were on fire and the Williams pair were on form too, just a shame about the in-team fighting. McLaren.... when will the misery end lol.
Looking forward to this weekends Chinese GP, lets hope the grest racing continues.
Bifton

Post by Bifton »

From the BBC sports website:

Stefano Domenicali has resigned as the team principal of Ferrari with immediate effect.

The Italian team have struggled this season, failing to register a podium finish in the opening three races.

Domenicali, 48, who will be replaced by Marco Mattiacci, had been in charge since replacing Jean Todt in 2008.

"There are particular moments in all of our professional lives where you need the courage to take difficult and very painful decisions," said Domenicali.

"It's time to make an important change. As boss, I take the responsibility - as I always have - for the situation we are going through."

Fernando Alonso has claimed two fourth places and a ninth in his three races for Ferrari so far this season, while team-mate Kimi Raikkonen has come sevenhth, 12th and 10th.

Alonso revealed his concerns at Ferrari's lack of competitiveness following the last race in Bahrain, and the team's predicament was not helped when issues with their car meant that they had to abandon testing at the same track early.

The next F1 race is the Chinese Grand Prix on 20 April.