F1 2017

Moderators: Balou, cantona7

Lemming
Site Admin

F1 2017

Post by Lemming »

I know there have been some other Formula 1 fans here in the past so I'll give this a go.

Firstly, I think Hamilton's tactics at the last race actually gave more legitimacy to Rosberg's title. I think if the tactics had worked then it would have taken something away from Hamilton. On the other hand, if Rosberg had cruised to an easy second then that wouldn't have been so impressive. Everyone, including Rosberg, knows Hamilton is faster but Rosberg worked for his title and deserved it. What do you think?

As for a replacement, the default option would obviously be Wehrlein. Other possibilities might include Alonso, who has publicly expressed an interest in the past. In that case, could Jenson be back again next year after all? Of course, they could go for Button himself.

The most intriguing possibility for me is Vettel. He's clearly unhappy at Ferrari and he's German, which might suit Mercedes. It would be interesting because Hamilton and Alonso believed they were the two best drivers when Vettel was at Red Bull. Hamilton and Vettel in the same car would be a chance to find out whether Vettel was ever a worthy champion or flattered by Adrian Newey's car.

KeyMonCha

Re: F1: Who will replace Rosberg?

Post by KeyMonCha »

Hey Lem...

...What an interesting season finale; and what a shocker! :o

Firstly, Rosberg deserved the title, specifically because he was always second best... The guy proved he could eventually keep his head clear and drive intelligently, rather than let his emotions get the better of him.

..That being said, i really don't have an issue with Hamiltons "tactics"... Whether it's tyre management, fuel management, or pace management, it's all part of racing in 2016... If his slowing the race down resulted in Rosberg losing the title, it would have been no different to the antics of past legends in the sport... In fact, i believe if Schumacher or Senna had been in the same position, they wouldn't have been as kind as Lewis... Heck, if it was me i'd have done my damnedest to push Nico off the road at every conceivable opportunity.... As has been said before, if you're not doing everything you can to win, you're no longer racing.

As for the myriad replacement candidates, i'm expecting Wehrlein... Initially, he's the most predictable and boring choice; but that's only until we see his pace compared to Lewis.

...The real fun is the speculation that a Vettel or Alonso could be partnering Hamilton next year, and whilst i don't hold out much hope for this to play out, i'm almost salivating in prospect.

I really don't think that either Vettel or Hamilton really want to find out who is the faster... It could destroy both of them. Vettel was on par with Webber untill 2011, and if you look back, Webber was on similar par with Rosberg back when they drove for Williams... So by my twisted logic, both Hamilton and Vettel are slightly faster than Rosberg... Not sure Merc want to deal with that... Same goes for Alonso... Whilst he and Hamilton seem to have got over 2007, it will only take a few weeks competing directly against each other to rekindle that hatred once again(imho).

Personally, i think Merc should go the old Ferrari route, and hire a driver who's sole purpose is to guard Hammy's back... If they do manage to be up front next year, with Ferrari and Red Bull breathing down their necks, this would be a wise strategy as both these teams have a dominant driver line up.

...Interestingly, Bottas has also been mentioned as a possible replacement for Nico... I'd actually really enjoy seeing him in a championship winning car... Seems like a decent bloke, and he's fast when he's happy.

So, roll on 2017... Big wings and tyres!!! ...Seems to be going the right way... Bring back refuelling and spare cars and we might just have our favourite sport back where it should be...

...Fingers crossed.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Agree all the way, KeyMonCha. And Merc probably will go for a number two driver rather than risking the fireworks of an Alonso or Vettel.

I used to have a Honda-powered car and have a soft spot for them so I'm hoping that the combination of Jost Capito, Peter Prodromou, Zak Brown and Honda will pull a surprise next year and deliver on Ron Dennis's promise of taking over from Merc.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Mercedes want Williams' Valtteri Bottas as Lewis Hamilton's team-mate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38282791

Hoping this happens..... Dunno what Williams will do, especially since we don't know if the Merc engine will be as dominant next year, but it'll still save them some cash so they can hire someone half decent to replace Bottas, or maybe dangle it in front of Adrian Newey or Ross Brawn?
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Looks like the 2017 regs are going to make a big difference. All of the teams are hinting that they're surprised by how much faster their new cars are. Sounds like the whole field will be taking a step forwards.

Expecting Red Bull to challenge Mercedes and Ferrari to fall back into the midfield but it could be that the whole pecking order will be shaken up. If one engineer comes up with a killer concept then an unexpected team might suddenly leap to the front.

Can't wait for the first tests to see who's made the biggest step. Hope it's McLaren or Williams.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Talk of Massa coming back to replace Bottas now.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Lemming wrote:Talk of Massa coming back to replace Bottas now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38384982

Although the deals are not yet finalised, they are as good as done and both will happen over the coming fortnight, BBC Sport has learned.

I'm quite excited at the prospect, actually.... Personally, i'd have preferred Massa at Mercedes just to see the team dynamic and see the "real" battle for the 2008 championship. :D

Not sure the new pay-driver at Williams is any good?! ....I'm thinking Maldonado V.2! ...Still, with that, and the (basically) free engines, Williams should have a fair bit of extra cash floating around... Splash out on some decent R&D, maybe in with a shot for 2018! :lol:
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Do you think Massa is still the same driver he was when he nearly won the championship?

Pat Symonds is also leaving Williams, rumoured to be replaced by Paddy Lowe.

Strangely Jost Capito is also leaving McLaren, even though he's only been there 5 minutes!
Drugsbunny

Post by Drugsbunny »

Personally, I think Massa changed his driving after his accident and he has never been the same since. With that in mind if Bottas does go to Mercedes then Williams will have a big problem next year despite Paddy Lowe joining them.

Capito is leaving Mclaren, lots of Rons (friends) people that he has worked with over the years, are slowly being got rid of by the higher ups at Mclaren they are having purge of anyone that didn't tow the line.

Next year is going to be interesting especially with changes in car design and regulations, bigger tires will mean more traction, so the designers will be coming up with ways to reduce traction and make to car more aero dynamic.
Still don't know who is going where yet, things are not finalized, and will Hamilton have another hissy fit if he doesn't get his own way?
Herb!
Take happiness with the heartache, go through life wearing a smile.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

I agree that Massa is not the same guy he was before the accident, but he has proven to be a reasonable competition for Bottas, who is considered to be a top driver... Remember the guy beat Raikkonen in the same car! Can't remember who said it, but some technical guy said Massa had also upped his game considerably since the whole ''Fernando is faster than you" debacle... I may be slightly biased, since i want my own pet Massa, but if he did get a Merc seat, i do believe he'd be competitive enough to keep the Red Bull's off Hamiltons back.... If Red Bull are in the same position next year, that is.... I'm guessing Red Bull might dominate 2017, though?!
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

That's what I was thinking - Massa not the same driver as nearly beat Hamilton to the Championship.

It still looks like Bottas is the most likely to replace Rosberg. They might surprise us though. There are several options.

The conventional wisdom is that 2017 will be a battle between Mercedes and Red Bull. That does seem the most likely but I think there is the chance of a surprise there too. Just maybe a team finding a trick interpretation of the new rules and jumping to the front, like Brawn did.

The candidates don't look too promising though.

Ferrari seem all at sea. The Merc customer teams are unlikely to be allowed to beat the factory team so that holds back Force India and Williams. The same probably goes for Haas and Sauber versus Farrari.

So that leaves Renault and McLaren. If Renault builds a great engine then that will also help Red Bull, who are not subject to the same restraints as other customer teams. If Honda builds a great engine and McLaren a great car, on the other hand ...

They've got Alonso and Vandoorne too.

We can hope!
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Manor F1 operator goes into administration

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/184 ... nistration

Can't say i'd really miss them, but any team leaving is always unfortunate.... Not really had the best luck as a team, even with a Merc engine.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Motor racing-Bottas replaces Rosberg at Mercedes, Massa returns

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuter ... turns.html
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

And Bernie's gone!
And Ross Brawn's back!
BBC
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Lemming wrote:And Bernie's gone!
And Ross Brawn's back!
BBC
BBC wrote:Liberty has also brought ex-Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn back to F1.

The former Ferrari technical director, who had been acting as a consultant to Liberty, has been appointed to lead the sporting and technical side of F1.
Wow!!! ....This could be amazing, depending on what direction he decides to go after 2017.... If i remember rightly, Brawn is all about mechanical performance, rather than aero, so we could be seeing some huge changes very shortly... Then again, according to an interview, he's not keen on rule changes, since it gives one or two teams a bigger advantage.... I'm truly, completely in the dark as to what might happen!!!

...Exciting, huh? :D