Which closed coffeeshops do you miss the most?

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Smirks

Re: Which closed coffeeshops do you miss the most?

Post by Smirks »

mowie wrote:Homegrown Fantasy for sure.
Their Cheese around 2009 was something else...
If it wasn't Cheese, what was it? :wink:

puffthemagicdragon

Post by puffthemagicdragon »

Rockerij - by Leidesplein. Used to love chilling in there. So relaxing.
Jaochoo

Post by Jaochoo »

For me has to be Homegrown fantasy...the spacecakes were amazing. The BT there an aussie i think ginger hair gave me a great tip of asking for the end bits crusts as they were the strongest bits....and hell yeah they were ;-)

Second missed is Blue Velvet on Harlmestraat. Was the first coffeeshop I went to and the special weit for 25glders knocked me sideways.

Agree with Lemming miss the old woaermstraat esp the neon lights from coffeeshop 36 looking trippy as ever.

Still lets nots be sad its over but glad it ever happened :D
Not_the_monk

Post by Not_the_monk »

I realised last weekend that every single shop I can remember bumbling into on my first ever visit to the city has now closed. Admittedly most of them were terrible and I've long since stopped spending much time around Damrak/Nieuwendijk/Warmoesstraat but that area is almost unrecognisable now in coffeeshop terms.

Not all the changes have been bad, it definitely feels less sketchy around Dam Sq than it once did, struggling to remember the last time I've been offered heroin or felt like I was dodging bandits at every other step around there, but that had really improved anyway over the last decade before they completed the pogrom on coffeeshops.

HGF, and before that the Rokerij's (how is the Singel one still sat there like that?) are my most obvious misses from when I started visiting regularly. Global Chillage I consider dead, that was an old fav. Free City and that gallery place that did food, I swear it was called Pie in the Sky, in the Jordaan, And my first loss was a place called t'Kruydenhuis that I found when utterly lost and loved, then spent hours and hours on future trips trying to blindly relocate and couldn't. Of course I found out later it had closed pretty soon after my visit.
Largefella

Post by Largefella »

There's something about your first love - even if she wasn't the prettiest or the kindest...

Dreadrocks....or was it Dredrocks? Good times back in 98. The weed might've been shit, but it got me stoned. They even obliged and played some Bob Marley for us. So, maybe they were kind in fact, to a bunch of dumb 18 year olds from outta town.

Went back in 05, and had some blonde skuff that did the trick. The two lovely ladies running it were playing a full live Simply Red set on a big screen. An older American tourist had a whitey and fell off his chair, and the ladies were right on it, giving him sugar-water, and helping him up. Nice people.
...as Sinatra once sang, Doobee doobee dooo....
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

so it seems like their plan was successful.... centrum seems like a ghost town from the way it was a few years ago eh?

sucks.

if I went back I'd wonder where the fuck to hang out?

seems like the good shops now are so far apart... i mean you have a few on harlemstraaat.... but they're usually pretty empty or chill in the evenings...

GA is just buy and fly for me most of the time... too small to really hang out at.... and they close early.

greenhouse centrum is kinda chill... the bigger one is really good during the day but evenings are a bit slower...

where do people go to hang at night?

like i said,baba was my hangout spot... but now they're in the fucking boonies it seems.

this is one of the reasons why I haven't been back... I just don't feel the overwhelming sense of wanting to go especially with these new changes.
Thomasbandit

Post by Thomasbandit »

dconstrukt wrote:so it seems like their plan was successful.... centrum seems like a ghost town from the way it was a few years ago eh?
Are you serious here? (Sorry if I have missed some sarcasm :oops: ) Amsterdam feels like it gets busy and busier every year, especially in the centrum. I've lived here now for 3+ years, right in the centrum and especially now tourist season has started, it seems busier and busier with tourists, it's definitely becoming a problem in terms of traffic.

And the new Baba location is like 5 mins walk from Barneys/Greenhouse on Harlemmerstraat... If direct from Centraal station it's hardly much further - and the part of town it's in may be quiet but in good weather you get some awesome views of the Ij around there and it's really nice and chilled.

When I came to Dam for my first 'grown up' visit with my brother we hardly left De Wallen (Red Light District) to Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal area and I find that so funny (in a bad way) and pathetic at the same time - we hardly saw Amsterdam whatsoever, and that area compared to the rest of the city is pretty shitty. When I visit home (UK) and hear from people who visited and thought it was mostly like that - it gives a good insight into them, especially as you know how little they really explored (and what they got up to...).

I know people are different but for me it's nice to have a smoke and then a long walk (or both ;) ), when you get home it feels much more rewarding exploring, as there's a lot more here than De Wallen, and also you'll find a lot of places you may like there but a lot nicer :)
dconstrukt

Post by dconstrukt »

@Thomasbandit - you think?

dude... baba had THE best location before.

waaromstraat is empty of all coffeeshops now, so when I say ghost town, thats what I'm meaning.... they just had the show weediquite on VICE TV and were in AMS.... and even the host was like damn... it's so different now vs before with the closures. The govmnt is SO out of touch with reality in that country with regards to the weed, its mind boggling.... they have their own agendas and don't think about reality.

haven't been back since 2011... haven't really had the urge... (I was going 2-3x a year before)

yeah the new one isn't too far from greenhouse/barneys etc... and looks really nice now, but even those places are kinda chill in the eves... I like stuff with more action I guess... thats why I loved the old spot... it was almost always busy, especially at night.

I lived there in 2011.... had a nice pad in newimarkt square.

i used to chill in the daytime and work online in the greenhouse on harelemstraat... great place good food and internet... but its not the most happening spot at nights.

GA is always buy and fly for me... unless its during the day, I would hang out with the boys and take bonghits.... lol...

where else?
ShakeTheBud

Post by ShakeTheBud »

Stones corner for sure. Although quite small, if you were able to get a seat and enjoy those brilliant buds they had every now and then you were a blessed man. Absolutely hate the bar thats left over and still going under the old name, extremely rude staff and really overpriced drinks.
Roccy Tittzenbeer

Post by Roccy Tittzenbeer »

Largefella wrote:There's something about your first love - even if she wasn't the prettiest or the kindest...

Dreadrocks....or was it Dredrocks? Good times back in 98. The weed might've been shit, but it got me stoned. They even obliged and played some Bob Marley for us. So, maybe they were kind in fact, to a bunch of dumb 18 year olds from outta town.

Went back in 05, and had some blonde skuff that did the trick. The two lovely ladies running it were playing a full live Simply Red set on a big screen. An older American tourist had a whitey and fell off his chair, and the ladies were right on it, giving him sugar-water, and helping him up. Nice people.
Hello there, it was called Dread Rock - great times and memories there for me too - see my avatar of their entrance, the steps and doorway were often difficult to negotiate upon departure for some reason :D :roll: .
also found this from 2001 queensday filmed in there + there are others in the series https://youtu.be/l8avqEXZPK4
All t' best,
RTnB
First visit October 1976 last visit still to come ....
winnie

Post by winnie »

ShakeTheBud wrote:Stones corner for sure. Although quite small, if you were able to get a seat and enjoy those brilliant buds they had every now and then you were a blessed man. Absolutely hate the bar thats left over and still going under the old name, extremely rude staff and really overpriced drinks.
I remember the bar when it was a coffee shop too. It was a great place for a lively night out.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Gonna have to put my name down with the Dread Rock community!! ...Whether it's based entirely on a nice warm nostalgic feeling is none of my concern...

...Oh, and Excalibur... Shame it had to go all Alcoholy.

...Incidentally, anyone fancy a look around the old Dread Rock?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.37399 ... 56!6m1!1e1

....Actually, makes me sad!
Marok21

Post by Marok21 »

Pinkfloyd! I was here only 2 or 3 times before it closed and become Dampkring#2. It was on my first trips to Amsterdam. There was such a nice vibe in there... very friendly people. Small menu but quality with nice Prices... got some insane cheap Ice O Lator and great Tbisla hash from here wich were my best finds of the trips :mrgreen:

I met a woman there when it was Dampkring#2 yet. She worked at Pinkfloyd before and was there to see what Dampkring made of this shop. She wondered that it´s now on 3 levels... she liked the new design but she also said that the old spirit has gone :?
Quazer

Post by Quazer »

Pink Floyd really was special. I went there a couple of times. Smoke that stood out back then was Mothers Finest and the hash was nice too - cant remember which one it was though. Back then we got this plastic discount card, you would get a sticker on the card for every purchase and once the card was full you got a free gram or so. I still have the card somewhere.

Rokerij at the Amstel is one of the shops I miss the most. It wasnt my first shop but we ended up there at one point during my very first crawl in town. Was sort of a surreal experience with the dealer in the basement and the nice deco. Seating wasnt that nice, but the friendly staff made up for it and was always up for a chat and some jokes. Weed and hash was decent too.
choc0block

Post by choc0block »

It has to be De Rokerij down Lange Leidsedwarsstraat in the Leidseplein.
I remember my first evening in Amsterdam in January 1998.
Asking at the hotel where the nearest coffee shop was, I was told to go to the Leidseplein area! Off we went
After wandering aimlessly for what seemed an eternity, I'd had enough of searching, I decided to ask someone.
"Er ...excuse me....can you tell me where the nearest coffeeshop is?"
"Yes, right behind you"
"Really, thank you"
There she was ..... De Rokerij
Opening their door for the first time.....priceless
The sweet sensimillia, tantalising my tastebuds!!!!
You never forget your first time, but year on year, whenever I went back I always wandered back to the smokehouse.
I don't half miss it 8)