Overly dry and flavour lacking products in Mokum?

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
Kenshiro

Overly dry and flavour lacking products in Mokum?

Post by Kenshiro »

On my most recent trips I've noticed how extremely dry flowers are especially in Amsterdam. Product seems to be lacking aroma and taste also?

I'm noticing this more since turning to vaping herbs but curious as to why product from back home seems to have better terpene profile and in a lot of cases stronger effects?

Are Dutch herbs being over dried or cured? Is the mass production causing obvious decline in quality and offering?

Only a few strains I had a couple of weeks back were not dry as dust and most were not from coffeeshops 😂

Thoughts?

Fat_old_dwarf

Re: Overly dry and flavour lacking products in Mokum?

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I've mentioned this. It's one of the reasons I concentrate on hash, but hash without flowers isn't ideal, so I do get some. What I get back in the UK is, or at least was, better as far as it went, and cheaper, but choice was rare, and sometimes there was little about. I don't think I've been particularly lucky this time - even the good DrG (from Tweede Kamer) has disappointed me.

Edit: the first time I tried the DrG was after two days of little sleep, so perhaps it wasn't surprising that it didn't have the soaring effect I wanted. It's better than I thought. Worth €16 when there are good strains in the €8-13 bracket? Maybe not, but I never see it in the UK, so the odd g is a treat.

Things change from day to day anyway, what with different batches. The ECSD that people were disappointed by at 1e Hulp recently was one of my favourites a while back, because it kept its diesel taste for ages.
Last edited by Fat_old_dwarf on Sat 29th Apr 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

Fat_old_dwarf wrote: Fri 28th Apr 2017 08:04 pm I've mentioned this. It's one of the reasons I concentrate on hash, but hash without flowers isn't ideal, so I do get some. What I get back in the UK is, or at least was, better as far as it went, and cheaper, but choice was rare, and sometimes there was little about. I don't think I've been particularly lucky this time - even the good DrG (from Tweede Kamer) has disappointed me.

Ditto...I'm UK based too and variety can be rare indeed..but quality has massively improved (still get the odd duff batch or strain)

On my recent trip the best flavours came from cheaper menu strains or canalside.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

There's a fair amount of Jamaican commercial which I technically class as possibly better than nothing, but I can't remember the last time I felt the need to acquire any. Meanwhile, my main green source is someone whose own interests lie mostly elsewhere, and whose mood is dependent on whatever other schemes/drugs he's involved in. There comes a time when one gets too old for dealer shit.
KeyMonCha

Post by KeyMonCha »

Funny, i'm not a big buyer of green, but the stuff i bought this trip did indeed seem dryer than previous trips, but i thought it was just bad luck... I bought a couple of grams of Voyagers usually decent Amnesia, and whilst the effect was ok, the taste was lacking and the buds themselves turned to dust almost immediately.... Even the twigs were breaking up!

Suppose it's slightly preferable to the under-cured, overly-sticky ungrindables i've had in the past, but come on...

Still, as a hash head, i've been seriously impressed with what's on offer right now, so fuck it! :P
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

KeyMonCha wrote: Sat 29th Apr 2017 05:09 pm Funny, i'm not a big buyer of green, but the stuff i bought this trip did indeed seem dryer than previous trips, but i thought it was just bad luck... I bought a couple of grams of Voyagers usually decent Amnesia, and whilst the effect was ok, the taste was lacking and the buds themselves turned to dust almost immediately.... Even the twigs were breaking up!

Suppose it's slightly preferable to the under-cured, overly-sticky ungrindables i've had in the past, but come on...

Still, as a hash head, i've been seriously impressed with what's on offer right now, so fuck it! :P
Yeah I kind of put it down to bad luck too, although Amnesia from Voyagers was a bit undercured in the middle and lacked flavour was one of the biggest disappointments of the trip..so I guess there's no happy medium.

I love hash but now that I vape I really miss it as not many devices get good results with hash unfortunately
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Another reason for me not to shift into hi-tech consumption. Actually, even an Amazed pipe isn't the best choice if you're smoking pure sticky hash -- it tends to get clogged fairly quickly. Which is why I liked Voyagers Powerbags when they had real buds in. It might not be a connoisseur's taste sensation, but it was good and strong and filled the pipe, and frankly if the proper expensive sort isn't good, what's the point? Also, not sure I like the attitude. It sticks in my mind that HB just shrugged when I mentioned that the strain he'd just recommended was bone-dry, which he hadn't said. To be fair, it was still a decent smoke.

Since there's enough good hash of every description in Mokum, and the only sort I've seen here for ages is Moroccan mediocre-to-decent, it's a no-brainer.
free_phil_spector

Post by free_phil_spector »

sNc wrote: Sat 29th Apr 2017 06:15 pmI love hash but now that I vape I really miss it as not many devices get good results with hash unfortunately
and even those that do are a cunt to clean afterwards :evil:
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

The soft press cheese hash I've been getting from my friend has been working pretty decent in both my Sticky Brick Junior and Pax 3 when properly mixed in with weed, and surprisingly not to messy. But indeed material seems to matter as much as paraphernalia when vaping hash.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

free_phil_spector wrote: Sat 29th Apr 2017 09:46 pm
sNc wrote: Sat 29th Apr 2017 06:15 pmI love hash but now that I vape I really miss it as not many devices get good results with hash unfortunately
and even those that do are a cunt to clean afterwards :evil:
Agree..I still have Temple Balls stuck to a screen from my Storm a few weeks back
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Sat 29th Apr 2017 09:50 pm The soft press cheese hash I've been getting from my friend has been working pretty decent in both my Sticky Brick Junior and Pax 3 when properly mixed in with weed, and surprisingly not to messy. But indeed material seems to matter as much as paraphernalia when vaping hash.
Will have to sample some next trip if it's still around...when vaping Red Leb and TB just got a tasty few first hits then nothing really after that (but this was in the Storm without any herb added)
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Yeah I definitely noticed that product was VERY dry this time. Almost everywhere. Kinda weird now you come to mention it.

I'm not 100% sure that's always a bad thing. Some strains flavour profile sure can suffer from being over-dried but then again - some seem to stick around regardless of the age of the product and sometimes I think I appreciate the extra smoothness that a really good cure can bring. It's certainly kinder to the throat.

Swings and roundabouts I guess - on balance I think I'll take over-dried than under given a choice.
Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro »

OneHighMofo wrote: Sun 30th Apr 2017 11:51 am Yeah I definitely noticed that product was VERY dry this time. Almost everywhere. Kinda weird now you come to mention it.

I'm not 100% sure that's always a bad thing. Some strains flavour profile sure can suffer from being over-dried but then again - some seem to stick around regardless of the age of the product and sometimes I think I appreciate the extra smoothness that a really good cure can bring. It's certainly kinder to the throat.

Swings and roundabouts I guess - on balance I think I'll take over-dried than under given a choice.
Yeah as said due to now almost exclusively vaping it kind of sets off alarm bells when I dont get flavours through vaping (I find vaping truly tests whether a strain is decent if taste transfers well or not)

You're right in saying probably prefer dry over wet..heck the Voyagers Amnesia was under cured so no taste but as said seems to be very little middle ground or sweet spot.

It's also made me appreciate my flowers back home a bit more as admittedly I'm sometimes quick to bash UK product for obvious reasons (poor flush, no cure etc.)
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

sNc wrote: Sun 30th Apr 2017 12:00 pm
I find vaping truly tests whether a strain is decent if taste transfers well or not
Kind of OT but I always think that some strains vape well (Haze, Tangie, Diesel) and some just don't - namely Kushy, Dry, floral flavours that I always prefer to burn to get the best from. Cookies crosses are good examples of strains that character gets lost in the vape. So personally I like to both burn (doob and bong) and vape/dab any given strain in order to fully appreciate its flavour properties.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

I'm not sure anything counts as OT on a stoner forum. May I introduce the way taste differentiates between pipes like the Amazed and more conventional ones? The temperature is probably different, and then the smoke is cooled, so it's not surprising there's a difference.
notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

From another thread:

LLMReb: "Visited Paradox April 25th. I am going to start this review by stating that I really love Paradox. It is a favorite of mine. But this time, I'm hoping it was just a poor visit.

First, the weed was so dry. Man, it was crazy dry. In fact, I've never seen such dry weed in all my life, which is saying a hell of a lot b/c I've seen some really dry weed in my time. The Chemdawg was so dry that I could simply touch it and it would fall to pieces. They sell in those little bags, so I couldn't look at it or smell it first. I also bought Lemon Haze. It was equally as disappointing. Thankfully I only purchased small quantities. Had I bought more, I'd really be pissed. I found myself just trying to finish them so that I could smoke something else. The quality was too poor to even give away."

Just as Coffeeshops in Amsterdam are consolidating so are their Suppliers. With so many diverse shops showing the same dry weed problem, it sounds like a "common" source issue! Some one has taken control of the top of the chain!

The "backdoor" solution does not support supply diversity or quality. The shops take what they can get and pass the costs on to the tourist! Hell, I'm from the USA and just spent $3,500 to get me and wifey a visit to Mokum. I don't care much about the price what's 3euro in the big picture.

However, I do care about quality. :mrgreen: