Compulsory purchase in Amsterdam coffeeshops

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
t537377

Compulsory purchase in Amsterdam coffeeshops

Post by t537377 »

Hey dudes,

New to the forum, thanks for having me.

I know I'm getting on in years, and therefore prone to saying things were better in the old days, but is it a new thing that a lot of coffeeshops in Amsterdam insist that you buy their weed from the outset?

Used to be that you bought your little bag, and if you didn't finish it in one shop, you could take it into the next, buy a drink and smoke what you'd bought previously. It was swings and roundabouts - the second shop was prepared to let you do that on the basis that at some point you'd buy your next bag from them.

More recently, I've come across shops that won't sell you a drink (or let you sit in the shop) unless you're buying their weed at the same time. The Bushdoctor, round the corner from Rembrandtsplein, has been the most aggressive about this policy, in my experience, but I've come across it in Free I on Reguliersdwarsstraat and Baba down towards the station. Will try the Bushdoctor again when I'm back their in early August, as I like to sit on their outdoor terrace in the summer (and there's the wax, of course), but I might have take my business elsewhere if they don't behave!

All the best to everyone.

OneHighMofo

Re: Compulsory purchase in Amsterdam coffeeshops

Post by OneHighMofo »

Some do enforce the consumption verplicht ideology. Most don't in my experience - I always make a point of asking if I'm intending to simply consume my own and I've only very rarely been disappointed.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Least strict in my experience is Paradox, but it's continuing to get worse and worse as fewer and fewer places opt to maintain this approach! A damn shame, I'll say!
smokini

Post by smokini »

There are two threads which might be useful here although info in there might be a bit outdated:
viewtopic.php?t=5529
viewtopic.php?t=31177

I would also appreciate some fresh info on the shops enforcing the policy.
madmaxxx

Post by madmaxxx »

It basicly ileagal to make people buy weed to sit in a coffee shop,but whos got the time and will to make it offical,it best just avoid these cs,and usee smoker freindly bars ect,it sickens me when there making millions of euros a year,i go to a lot of cs in the hauge ,south of holland and the dam the only place i been told to buy weed or leave,
petrone

Post by petrone »

Siberie is part of a group of coffee shops whose tag is, smoke less, enjoy more, so they won,t be pressurising you for not smoking theirs. Yo-yo have me on a yo-yo, I keep going back. They,re jointly run by two older but separate individuals and their goods can be bought as 5euros worth so you can experiment.Canal and park benches are handy standbys just generally being outside but smoking discreetly. Maybe compulsory or compulsion to walk away from compulsory weed deals is what,s required, Enjoy it.