Sublingual Dosing

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
EasilySuede

Sublingual Dosing

Post by EasilySuede »

has anyone tried THCyrup this way?
(probably via an eyedropper,
a few drops at a time)

from: http://www.ardentcannabis.com/education ... pplication

The New Frontier Of Medical Cannabis Administration
January 20, 2016

Although a novel dosing concept, direct sublingual application is firmly rooted in science and parallels the most effective traditional uses of medical cannabis.

Direct sublingual application involves placing precisely decarboxylated cannabis under the tongue, allowing the cannabinoids to immediately enter the bloodstream through the vessel-rich tissues within the sublingual cavity. Fast, accurate uptake without the hazards of smoking!

Starts with 100% Decarboxylation
Decarboxylated cannabis plant material may be used sublingually to systemically deliver pharmacologically active cannabinoids (e.g., THC) present without further processing. This discovery is significant, as sublingual use of decarboxylated cannabis provides accurate and efficient delivery of THC and other useful cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol, without the drawbacks of smoking cannabis or cooking cannabis to eat it. The onset of pharmacological effects is rapid, and their duration equivalent to or exceeding other forms of ingestion. With sublingual use, delivery of both THC and other useful cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol, is significantly improved. Sublingual delivery of cannabis is a superior mode of administration considering the hazards of smoking cannabis, and the pharmacokinetic limitations of ingesting cannabis.

Decarboxylation in its natural state, the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in cannabis is found as its biosynthesized precursor, cannabinolic acid. To activate this potential THC, a carboxyl group must be removed by heat. In practice, available cannabinolic acid in cannabis is "decarboxylated" to THC by the heat of smoking or cooking. The THC may then be delivered relatively rapidly through the lungs when smoked or more slowly in the gastrointestinal tract when eaten. Unfortunately, the conventional methods of preparing and ingesting cannabis involve imprecise and incomplete decarboxylation which lead to an inferior medicine.

Benefits of direct sublingual application
Immediate relief - no waiting for digestive tract absorption.
No negative health effects - better than smoking or vaporizing.
Accuracy - nothing lost in extraction or administration more accurate than tinctures, smoking or eating.
Access and choice - pharmaceutical grade solution at home with own cannabis.
Safety - safer and more reliable than edibles and extracts.
Cost saving, patients use less, more cost effective solution.
Discretion - less obvious.

Superior to Smoking
Sublingual delivery provides rapid effects similar to smoking without exposing the lungs to heat, tar, or other unwanted collateral effects, including unpleasant smoke smell, smoky taste, dry mouth, throat irritation and caused both by smoke and hot embers that often enter the user’s mouth and lungs during administration. When, ignited, nearly 50% of the cannabinoids present in the cannabis literally “go up in smoke” that is not actually inhaled by the user. Sublingual delivery is discreet and more efficient, requiring smaller amounts of cannabis for the same effect, as more of the pharmacologically active cannabinoids are absorbed into the bloodstream. Sublingual administration allows the user to avoid heat, tar, potential kickback, and even the carbon dioxide created by the most popular smoking alternative, vaporizers. Most importantly, sublingual administration allows for accurate dosing of cannabinoids, ensuring that patients and physicians retain control.

Superior to Ingestion
Sublingual delivery is superior to ingestion of cannabis as well. While ingesting cannabis can provide long lasting therapeutic effects, and allow the body to reap the benefits provided by exposure to the entire cannabis plant profile, this method presents numerous drawbacks as well. Onset is significantly delayed, on average beginning over an hour after administration. This delay also makes it difficult to titrate doses as compared to sublingual administration. When ingesting cannabis the onset of pharmacological effect typically takes between 30 minutes and 120 minutes. Conversely, the sublingual dosage form induces a pharmacological effect in a subject within about 30 seconds to about two minutes of placing the sublingual dosage form in the subject’s sublingual cavity. In addition to the lag in time, ingestion is an inefficient form of administration. Decreased bioavailability in the digestive tract results in absorption of only 10% to 20% of cannabinoids, and oral administration subjects cannabis to “first pass metabolism,” whereby the cannabinoids are first processed by the liver before entering the bloodstream. Processing by the liver alters cannabinoids, leading to distinct therapeutic effects from those experienced with other forms of administration. While ingestion of cannabis may be unsatisfactory on its own, it can be an excellent complement to sublingual administration, and in conjunction with sublingual delivery ingestion can provide the user with a more comprehensive therapeutic experience.

Why try sublingual?
The usual ways of preparing and ingesting cannabis suffer from other drawbacks as well. For example, smoking cannabis creates harmful carcinogens through destructive pyrolysis of numerous plant compounds due to the heat of the flame and can also cause irritation to the lung tissue. Eating cannabis requires a significant period of time before onset of effects, and the uptake through the gastrointestinal tract is uneven and incomplete. Also any preparation other than smoking requires extraction of the active cannabinoids into a secondary medium, which results in loss during extraction and inconsistent end results. Direct sublingual application (DSA) of cannabis, however, provides accurate, rapid administration with no negative health effects.

OneHighMofo

Re: Sublingual Dosing

Post by OneHighMofo »

I've not tried it but I'd very much like to! Thanks for posting.
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 29th Jun 2017 09:47 am I've not tried it but I'd very much like to! Thanks for posting.
i should've added, it'll only work if the THCyrup has decarbed cannabis in it.
gettingrimey

Post by gettingrimey »

I made some tincture using 85 percent vodka and chemdawg and took it sublingually using a dropper. The effects were two fold you got an initial buzz, akin to smoking then two hours later the full hit like edibles. It was incredibly easy to over do it, my friend was so high he was struggling to breath after having seven hits.
I be chillin on the beach in the South of Venice
Or merking the President live on Channel 7
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

EasilySuede wrote: Thu 29th Jun 2017 03:02 pm
OneHighMofo wrote: Thu 29th Jun 2017 09:47 am I've not tried it but I'd very much like to! Thanks for posting.
i should've added, it'll only work if the THCyrup has decarbed cannabis in it.
Oral/edible intake will in general only work if the cannabis has been decarbed. I assume this is since it can be directly taken or added to drinks and is still effective. I've heard some claiming that the purging process of BHO in a vacc-oven should essentially decarb the product, but recently saw another article about the bioavailability of various cannabis preparations ingested based on percentage of decarbed cannabinoids in each sample, basically debunking the previous assumption.

Anyway based on the effectiveness of the syrup as a whole I again speculate that the master chef himself has a specific decarboxylation step in his syrup production process. I mean hell even mixed into a ,25cl biertje I scarcely finish my petit beer before I'm already awash in the edible glowing high.

Nonetheless my interest has been piqued so I'm off to pour a wee splash on the tongue and report back with results sometime thereafter...
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 30th Jun 2017 12:56 pm Oral/edible intake will in general only work if the cannabis has been decarbed. I assume this is since it can be directly taken or added to drinks and is still effective. I've heard some claiming that the purging process of BHO in a vacc-oven should essentially decarb the product, but recently saw another article about the bioavailability of various cannabis preparations ingested based on percentage of decarbed cannabinoids in each sample, basically debunking the previous assumption.

Anyway based on the effectiveness of the syrup as a whole I again speculate that the master chef himself has a specific decarboxylation step in his syrup production process. I mean hell even mixed into a ,25cl biertje I scarcely finish my petit beer before I'm already awash in the edible glowing high.

Nonetheless my interest has been piqued so I'm off to pour a wee splash on the tongue and report back with results sometime thereafter...
Recently I was talking to a UK producer about the Deep Concentration Tysons Syrup stuff - commenting that DC had managed to retain the terpene profile of the original flowers. He opined that could ONLY be achieved by activating (decarboxylating) in a vacuum oven (molecules boil at lower temperatures under a vacuum) and that it would require very careful expertise to achieve such an effect.

Certainly in my experience - not all BHO is active. I can attest to that having failed to decarb some properly; went ahead and suspended it in coconut oil to no obvious psychological effect. Subsequent de-carbing of the resultant suspension made a huge difference to the potency.

On the same topic (sorry to jack your thread EasilySuede) aforementioned Syrup vendor told me that a UK BHO producer (chuddabrothers) have a specific technique for ensuring that all of their oil is by nature decarboxylated. He wouldn't go into specifics on tech but was buying their product precisely so he didn't have to activate it for use in his syrup. I'm not 100% convinced this tech is working because I felt that product wasn't as strong as the DC. caveat: I could be totally wrong as i have been hammering the edibles recently so my tolerance could be a large factor.
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

OneHighMofo wrote: Fri 30th Jun 2017 01:42 pm ...
On the same topic (sorry to jack your thread EasilySuede) ...
not at all, 1hi... this is all interesting info.
cheers
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 30th Jun 2017 12:56 pm ...

based on your very positive results, that does indeed sound like it's been de-carbed.
and don't forget- it goes under the tongue, instead of on. looking forward to hearing your results!
proost
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

EasilySuede wrote: Fri 30th Jun 2017 03:53 pm
OneHighMofo wrote: Fri 30th Jun 2017 01:42 pm ...
On the same topic (sorry to jack your thread EasilySuede) ...
not at all, 1hi... this is all interesting info.
cheers
DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 30th Jun 2017 12:56 pm ...

based on your very positive results, that does indeed sound like it's been de-carbed.
and don't forget- it goes under the tongue, instead of on. looking forward to hearing your results!
proost
Meant to say under indeed. Seemed to work ok enough, the problem is it's a bit runny so keeping it "pocketed" under the tongue tends to cause one to over-salivate. Left it under the the tongue for around 5 minutes maybe a little less due to the challenges stated above. Also was not in possession of any sorta dropper so I improvised by employing a careful swift tuck and dip with a small espresso spoon.
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

DeLekkersteNUGS16 wrote: Fri 30th Jun 2017 05:16 pm ...
Meant to say under indeed. Seemed to work ok enough, the problem is it's a bit runny so keeping it "pocketed" under the tongue tends to cause one to over-salivate. Left it under the the tongue for around 5 minutes maybe a little less due to the challenges stated above. Also was not in possession of any sorta dropper so I improvised by employing a careful swift tuck and dip with a small espresso spoon.
i did a search for "sublingual" over at leafly, and there were
72 results under "products & brands"...
https://www.leafly.com/search?q=subling ... %2cproduct

...which may help provide ideas on how to roll your own method.

https://www.medicaljane.com/review/sati ... cookie-co/

de-carbed herb, ground fairly fine and pouched-up, should work along the lines of these guys...
...which could give a bit of a nicotine head buzz, going directly into the blood stream.