The Hague bans cannabis smoking in city centre in Dutch first

General discussion about cannabis and coffeeshops.
OneHighMofo

Re: The Hague bans cannabis smoking in city centre in Dutch first

Post by OneHighMofo »

Well that sucks major bags of balls for the CS's within the exclusion zone - I'd suspect that those outside the zone are secretly delighted. Call me a cynic. Fingers crossed it doesn't spread.

Mandoist

Post by Mandoist »

A toker/grower since 1971, I always felt it is more respectful of others to not smoke in their presence... outdoors or otherwise. While I enjoy the rights related to smoking weed here in NL, I also believe those rights do not allow us to infringe on others' rights (including not smelling it, or being directly exposed to the smoke).

When you think about it, it's basically respecting Fellow Humans.
Common sense and sensible use go a long way in preventing issues.

BTW: The lowest common denominators hanging out and smoking weed in Den Haag are probably a major reason for the recent litigation.
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

Why I hate this Dutch view is the bastards are happy to light up their cigs unabated and insist that it's not as bothersome or abrasive as weed smoke - that bothers the fuck out of me!

If weed smoke is banned in a given space, so too should tobacco be!
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

Welcome to the forum Mandoist, good to have you aboard sir.

I agree with the sentiment of balancing ones personal freedoms with respect to the comfort of others personal space - and I think we'd all do well to bear that in mind as a general rule of thumb.

My good friend DLN here raises a good point though - and it doesn't quite stop there. Personally I'm no big fan of consumption of alcohol in public; but where do we draw the line? Should my misgivings about anothers choices dictate their behaviour?
They're all questions worthy of debate and further inspection.

Partly I side with the residents; I can appreciate that any type of concentration of young people is going to be irksome to many.

Maybe as a community we'll just have to accept that sometimes - spreading out the concentration; or moving it to less disruptive areas might be the answer to balancing out everyones needs? Although my feeling is that many members of the community will find that a bitter pill to swallow until they feel that their rights to consume are being met.

It's a contentious issue still for sure. One mired in layers of complexity, politricks and (of course) outright lunacy. So - I'm not holding my breath for a resolution any time soon!
madmaxxx

Post by madmaxxx »

At least they aint banned it on the beach.
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

should cannabis be legalised in the UK (or basically anywhere else) i wouldnt expect to be allowed to smoke on my high street, i would expect that the legal smoking places to be more in the back streets, where children and others that dont want to see it cant see it.
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Pierre von Mondragon

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

One less reason to visit boring Den Haag then...

I don't agree with the proposition that people have the right to live without smelling weed, they just don't. Discretion and class are the best way to go about things, but public space is shared space, and sometimes needs must...
DjShaggy

Post by DjShaggy »

i have a right to live without cigarette smoke being blown in my face too,
every time i go into town tho i inevitably end up walking behind a smoker.
I agree with live and let live but for me its all about thinking of others, if i wouldnt like it i would try to avoid doing the same
ignoring spellcheck since 1986
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Given that the amounts of noxious and unpleasant emissions that any driver of any petrol- or diesel-powered vehicle is responsible for must outweigh those of hundreds of smokers of anything, I can only conclude that people's idea of tolerance is rather strange.
LLMReb

Post by LLMReb »

I’m on board with discretion, but discretion is a very slippery slope. Marijuana is not socially acceptible as the norm like alcohol, nicotene, and caffeine.

Smoke at home. Be happy to walk down the street and purchase.

The alternative is to offend that wacko segment of society who will devote the effort and energy to pass laws to cease sales completely.
Pierre von Mondragon

Post by Pierre von Mondragon »

I respectfully disagree, now is the time for all the heads to come out and push for full normalisation, things in 'the West' are only moving in one way now, and being all diffident isn't going to help any, militant claiming of our rights, I think, will. I'm not just talking about NL, smoke up within the limits of safety wherever you are... Don't get caught, obvs, if it's that sort of deal.
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

Unfortunate, though if there were really that many residents offended, we certainly don't want that.

A general awareness would seem in order. Don't smoke when others might be affected. Or vape, so there's nothing to smell.

Strange how society has deemed this an undesirable odor. I'm glad we never decided cooked beef stinks, lest it ruin the joys of steak.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Generally speaking smoking is being socially shunned more and more in developed countries, whether it's cannabis or cigarettes. Where I live we have a lot of very harsh anti-smoking policies and these will absolutely be transferred to cannabis when legalized.

Normalisation for me, socially, will be people not assuming I'm a lazy waster because I like blazing up and accepting that alcohol is far more of a scourge on society than cannabis. From an infrastructure point of view normalisation would be dispensaries and vape lounges. With smoking laws here we will never have a CS where you can smoke inside, though we have pretty epic heated beer gardens where you can smoke outside so assume they could build these type of thing onto vape lounges.
Bring back Imelda Marcos!