Anyone else build models or did so as a kid ?

About ourselves.

Moderators: tuttiflutes, chillers2, Balou

Cisco

Anyone else build models or did so as a kid ?

Post by Cisco »

Im off to Eindhoven in Oct for scalemodelchallenge a military modeling show and competition , just wanted to know if anyone else shared my geekfest ! :oops: Do you build military or any other type of models ? i like maybe some of you peeps my age and a bit older started of with Airfix kits building them with dad ! Lost all that to growing up , weed , drink , womanising :wink: and suchlike ! now im a bit older (35) i took it up again maybe 3/4yrs ago during a short spell of unemployment , and the changes are massive , i really enjoy my other hobby and seem to be pretty good (i have won a couple of classes at last years scotnats)

Happy modeling

-
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

RC cars, love em and have a few with my current fav being my Menace. Holy fuck 70mph RC car :shock: currently like my real car off the road :lol:

One tip for anyone with one, dont use it in the street coz if it hits the kerbs get your wallet out :cry:

So not realy any airfix for me 8)

few links for anyone interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumacher_Menace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKSjjIlPqA8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhORDKm ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMTYIWSZ ... re=related

By the way none of these are mine 8)
Last edited by Kermit on Wed 26th Aug 2009 07:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metal4mullets

Post by metal4mullets »

Whoa :shock: I NEED to get one of those, Kermit!! :D

When I was younger I started off with the Level 1 snap-togethers and progressed from there. I only built cars, though...and not very many at that. Maybe 5-6 tops. I really enjoyed it, though. I'd bet it'd be a decent stress reliever...if you're out of gear, of course ;)
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

metal4mullets wrote:Whoa :shock: I NEED to get one of those, Kermit!! :D

When I was younger I started off with the Level 1 snap-togethers and progressed from there. I only built cars, though...and not very many at that. Maybe 5-6 tops. I really enjoyed it, though. I'd bet it'd be a decent stress reliever...if you're out of gear, of course ;)
Nothing better than rolling a few, filling the car boot up RC cars and hitting some farmers fields :wink: Chong away 8)
OneForTheRoad

Post by OneForTheRoad »

I used to build model planes and had a train set, that is all...
I like stuff
TRANCE

Post by TRANCE »

As a toddler I started with Stickle Bricks, I then went to Lego (still have a whole suitcase of it in the attic) and then advanced to metal Mecanno construction with electric motors, etc. I've never built any plastic air-fix models though. But I do have a pre-built remote control helicopter and a remote control Dragonfly contraption.
aradiasraven

Post by aradiasraven »

I used to build balsa wood and tissue paper airplanes with small motors that we (my gran pop and I ) would fly on weekends. also dabble with 1/32-1/75 scale plastic display model airplanes mostly war world two planes.
Stoners are cute,junkies are sad-Kevin Smith
TRANCE

Post by TRANCE »

I bet anyone here I can build a paper plane that will stay in the air longer than your model. (from one sheet of A4 paper)
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Nice one peeps i usually go for 1/48 scale military ,mostly german second world war stuff ! allied stuff is all the same olive drab :lol: Nearly finished my models for the show ! wish me luck :wink:
-
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Nearly finished my models for the show ! wish me luck
Good Luck cisco. :)

Hope to catch up with you in the Dam.
What a long strange trip it is.
Drugsbunny

Post by Drugsbunny »

I used to build model aircraft when I was a kid, Spitfire, Lancaster, then onto meccano.

Great fun

Db
Herb!
Take happiness with the heartache, go through life wearing a smile.
funbags

Post by funbags »

yeah i build models as well i do mainly military as well ships and planes but i recently done a motorbike pics below
richelieu(my favourite)
ships(arromanches+richelieu) and chopper
different planes
stuka
Image[/img]
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Hey man they ships look awsome look well built ,painted ! i tried to build an Italeri 1/720 USS Ronald Reagon aircraft carrier , but got bored its still under my hobby desk :oops: maybe one day !? :lol:
-
Hotdog

Post by Hotdog »

never did models as a kid but after watching the excellent 'James May's toy stories' airfix episode I really wanted to have a go at doing one at the age of 28 :oops: so anyway my g/f went to toys r us and bought be a northrop f-5a fighter plane! I was really excited till I realised its a classic plane of the Imperial Iranian Air Force. Needless to say 3 months later its still in the box! I asked for a bloody Eurofighter! thats women for you tho'!! :lol:
If in doubt, have a spliff
RR

Post by RR »

I used to Build Tamiya cars, they were really shoddy as i never had the patience to wait for the paint to dry ! LOL :lol:

Really great hobby though, calmed me right down and was so much enjoyment looking at the finished project !

Got into R/C cars nothing professional just for fun had a few TAmiya TT's adn have one HPI RS Nitro !

That Schumacher R/C looks to beastly for the backgarden or side streets , imagine that hitting someones foot or getting wedged under your car ! !

My electric R/C got wedged under my car once, had to jack the car up in the rain not cool ! LOL

goodluck Cisco with the challenge, any pics of your beauties !
! light that isht !