Memories of Stonehenge Free Festival

About ourselves.

Moderators: tuttiflutes, chillers2, Balou

Comus

Memories of Stonehenge Free Festival

Post by Comus »

Stoned Henge ..... what a great party that used to be ... the whole of june getting wasted in the sun

I'm in shocks and stares
Comus

Re: Memories of Stonehenge Free Festival

Post by Comus »

I'm in shocks and stares
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Comus wrote: Sun 26th Feb 2017 10:25 pm Image

Looks like a great time, early to mid 70s any bands there?
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

I think more like late 70s, early 80s. I was probably there. Usually camped in the more sparse area towards bottom right of overhead pic. Hawkwind and Here & Now usually played along with many others. It was quite a do it yourself affair with people setting up stages all over the place.

Nice pics. Takes me back.
Comus

Re: Kings Day 2017

Post by Comus »

loads of bands. bear in mind nothing was organised, no-one was in charge, there were no rules or anything. people jusy knew to turn up at the start of june and just get on with it. the basic ethos was "bring what you expect to find"

hawkwind, gong, roy harper, the enid, selecter, flux, crass, discharge, jimmy page, inner city unit, laughing sams dice, poisoned elektrick head, here & now, man, ozric tentacles, wystic mankers, radio mongolia, doctor and the medics, the mob, culture shock, the sub-humans, zorch, dexys, tompson twins, .... these are just bands i remember seeing there .... loads more played that i was too messed up to remember right now ..... here's a video link (1st of 4 parts) and it's a real trip down memory lane ... enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBy4rI9J6NU
I'm in shocks and stares
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

again it looks like a Great time, :mrgreen: will watch videos later with Robyn :D recognized a couple of the bands names the rest were across the sea :lol: I wonder if the "expert" giving our tour will mention the Stonehenge gatherings
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Comus wrote: Mon 27th Feb 2017 12:58 am loads of bands. bear in mind nothing was organised, no-one was in charge, there were no rules or anything. people jusy knew to turn up at the start of june and just get on with it. the basic ethos was "bring what you expect to find"

hawkwind, gong, roy harper, the enid, selecter, flux, crass, discharge, jimmy page, inner city unit, laughing sams dice, poisoned elektrick head, here & now, man, ozric tentacles, wystic mankers, radio mongolia, doctor and the medics, the mob, culture shock, the sub-humans, zorch, dexys, tompson twins, .... these are just bands i remember seeing there .... loads more played that i was too messed up to remember right now ..... here's a video link (1st of 4 parts) and it's a real trip down memory lane ... enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBy4rI9J6NU
Kind of missed all that, we didn't really "drop out" that far. However one of our daughters did the traveller stuff for a few years so we were fully in touch, and we have worked the Beautiful Days festival a couple of years. So if you want to see the beat up vans and buses for a bit of nostalgia it's a good festival. Obviously not free anymore, but def no commercial crap all over the place, good sounds, vibes and a beautiful festival site and always been put on by The Levellers. Brilliant. :D

I took out all the seats and away I went
it's a right old banger and the chassis' bent
it's got a great big peace sign across the back
and most of the windos have been painted black

the windshield's cracked, it's a bugger to drive
it starts making smoke over forty-five
it's a phsychedelic nightmare with a million leaks
it's home-sweet-home to ssome sweet arse freaks

slow down itinerant child, the road is full of danger
slow down itinerant child, there's no more 'welcome, stanger'

soon I was rumbling through the mornign fog
with my long haired children and my one eyed dog
with the trucks and the buses and the trailer-vans
my long throw horns playing Steely Dan

we straggled out for miles along the Beggar's Hill
when the word came donw that we'd lost Old Bill
you can bet your boots i'm coming when the times are hard
that's why they keep my dossier at Scotland Yard

slow down itinernat child, you're still accelerating
slow down itinerant child, the boys in blue were waiting
itinernat child don't do what your doing
itinerant child you'd better slow down

we drove into Happy Valley seeking peace and love
with a lone helicopter hanging up above
we didn't realise untill we hit the feild
there were four hundred cozzers holding riot sheilds

they terrorized our babies and they broke our heads
it's a stone fucking miracle there's no-one dead
they turned my ramshackle home into a burning wreck
my one-eyed dog got a broken neck

slow down itinerant child, the road is full of danger
slow down itinerant child, there's no more 'welcome, stanger'
slow down itinernat child, you're still accelerating
slow down itinerant child, the boys in blue were waiting

:D :D :mrgreen:
What a long strange trip it is.
macky

Post by macky »

Prefer, Sex and drugs and rock and roll….That take me back :D
Willjay

Post by Willjay »

Happy Wednesday Spidergwad the first video looked like a great concert and a very nice venue, the second song is best if you don't listen to the second verse lived through similar times myself.

Yes 49 days till our meet up with ftcarer :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
www.stopthedrugwar.org
www.mpp.org
www.drugpolicy.org
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

This was the view from our tents at Stonehenge 1981. Being middle-class weekend hippies, we were camped in the suburbs :) Top right is the official car park (as it was back then) and the main body of the festival is off to the right.

The summer solstice was when the one year ended and the next began for me back then. It was really more to do with the festival than the solstice itself and, of course, archaeologists now believe that the significant time for the henge was sunset on the winter solstice rather than sunrise on the summer solstice.

In reality it was probably only 3 or 4 summers that I went to Stonehenge but it felt like a way of life. It's where my idealism was born. It was thrilling to see more and more people turn up every year (maybe as many as 100,000 by the last festival). It was an un-policed city in a field for a month every year that somehow managed to keep itself together by sheer necessity.
Lemming
Site Admin

Post by Lemming »

Comus wrote: Sun 26th Feb 2017 10:19 pm Image
This picture is intriguing. Hot-knives were very much a ritual amongst people I hung out with and that Om sign looks like I drew it. I wonder whether I knew the owner of that bender?
Comus

Post by Comus »

Lemming wrote: Wed 1st Mar 2017 11:03 pm
Comus wrote: Sun 26th Feb 2017 10:19 pm Image
This picture is intriguing. Hot-knives were very much a ritual amongst people I hung out with and that Om sign looks like I drew it. I wonder whether I knew the owner of that bender?
i remember around that time when i started going to festis, every second hand shop, tat shop etc was scoured for those old small slender fire tongs which were perfect for doing knives ..... we had one fella in our bender once, a proper moiderer he was. he wouldn't shut up and he kept badgering my mate robbo about being next in line for a hot tong of black. i knew robbo was upto summut by the look on his face. he made sure this fella was last to have some tongs and threw the gaunlet down by telling the guy he was obviously a lightweight and couldn't do his tongs in one hit. the fella got really arsey and was giving it all the big one saying "i can fucking do more tongs in a oner than anyone else" sorta thing. anyway robbo give him the bottle, hotted up the tongs with the blowlamp got the spot to stick to the tongs, asked the the fella if he was ready, the fella nodded, robbo squeezed the tongs together and the bottle filled with smoke instantly, robbo shouted GO! the bloke sucked and then collapsed. the bender was stinking of horrible burnt stuff. we all dove outside to get air. we dragged the bloke out by his feet. he was still outers and the veins in his head twitching and he was going purple! i shouted at robbo "what the fuck have you done to him rob?" .... robbo was pissing himself so much he barely got the words out ...... "i gave him a coffe bean!" . we had to drape this bloke over the back end of my suzuki and drive hime to the other side of the site and drop him off before he came to. i saw him about 3 days later but he didn't say anything to me thankfully.
I'm in shocks and stares
Comus

Post by Comus »

I'm in shocks and stares
spidergawd

Post by spidergawd »

Great guys, I'm really enjoying all this. :D
What a long strange trip it is.
Comus

Post by Comus »

a film of Hawkwind's live set on the solstice night 1984 ...... no brain cells were harmed during the making of this film ..... that was a lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXwSt_jUJaE
I'm in shocks and stares