espn's 30 for 30

Moderators: Balou, cattales1960

cantona7
Location: Seattle- trips to the 'dam, 7 by the time i caught up with freedom i was out of breathe

espn's 30 for 30

Post by cantona7 »

good sports documentary program. mostly about north american sports, but there have been some international sports episodes. i recommend it to anyone who likes a good well put together sport documentary though. anyone else watch this? I still need to watch the episode on drazen petrovic/vlade divac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

educating myself and waiting for the next trip.
instagram @shooter_mcdabbin
smokyk

Re: espn's 30 for 30

Post by smokyk »

yeah, loved most of them

the best one i've seen so far was the into the wind one , guy lost both of his legs but ran across cananda (had been done before - obviously guys with legs but they ran it with the wind at their backs, he did the other way) he ran a marathon every day for months - one of the most inspirational things i've ever seen

oh and that drazen petrovic/vlade divac one was pretty good too
also loved run ricky run, the birth of the big air (wow matt hoffman was insane), the two escobars
DanFromUk

Post by DanFromUk »

Thanks for putting this up mike,

Downloaded the whole lot, so if you want me to try and stream them then I can try, think they will take ages to upload to youtube and not quite sure how to cut down large files as the one about The Two Escobars is nearly 2 hours long.
Last edited by DanFromUk on Wed 14th Dec 2011 04:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunting for crystals
DanFromUk

Post by DanFromUk »

The one about Reggie miller is quality & the one about that football player Dupree is good.
Hunting for crystals
mafufero

Post by mafufero »

Yeah, the Two Escobars is a great documentary. I remember news stories about Pablo Escobar and I remember the 1994 World Cup, but I never understood or knew well how the two were intertwined. It turns out that Colombian Drug lords were attempting to manipulate the roster of their national team on the eve of each World Cup game.

I've lost interest in most sports in the past few years, but I find most of these 30 for 30 quite riveting. My other favorites are the one on SMU and the death penalty, the one on theFab 5, and the one on Ricky Williams, who decided to get blazed instead of playing in the NFL.
Next trip: November 2013
angry pirate

Post by angry pirate »

Some of the best documentaries I've seen, to the point that I've started watching MLB most nights now.
30 for 30 gave me a fresh insight into, and an appreciation of, US sport, something I never thought would happen. All Bo Jackson's fault tbf.
"Winning Time" and "The Band that Wouldn't Die" also stood out, as did the Allen Iverson one. Cracking stuff, now I just need a MLB team to attach myself to and I'll be set!
Any suggestions welcome. Already ruled out a few - Cubs, Twins and Yankees all off limits... and the Red Sox too, which is a shame as I'd love to visit Fenway, Yankee Stadium and Wrigley Field.
ACD Fantasy League 16/17 - 276297-87189.

Free to join :)
Chrisuperfly

Post by Chrisuperfly »

I'm a southsider originally so I am a White Sox fan, screw the Cubs. Although, I will say that Wrigley should be experienced at least once.

I remember watching the game that Bo got hurt in and having this feeling that he was done. Just because he was such a beast on the field, I actually missed seeing him play football for a few years because he was so damn talented, and to think he never played a full season since he split time with MLB. One of the greats with a great off field personality as well.
angry pirate

Post by angry pirate »

Chrisuperfly wrote:I'm a southsider originally so I am a White Sox fan, screw the Cubs. Although, I will say that Wrigley should be experienced at least once.

I remember watching the game that Bo got hurt in and having this feeling that he was done. Just because he was such a beast on the field, I actually missed seeing him play football for a few years because he was so damn talented, and to think he never played a full season since he split time with MLB. One of the greats with a great off field personality as well.
Yeah, knew nothing about him until I watched that film, but man, what a natural. Such a shame about his hip, remember hearing one of the talking heads on the film saying that lesser athletes wouldn't have been injured as badly as they wouldn't have had the power to attempt to drive out of the tackle the way Bo did.

As a lifelong Newcastle United supporter there is no way I'd follow the Cubs, I've already had 40 years of winning zilch. Leaning towards Phillies or Orioles atm. As for Wrigley, yeah, really want to go one day, not so much to watch from the ballpark, but one of the roof terraces adjacent to centre field (Beyond the Ivy etc.) Looks class. 8)

TwoCanucks

Post by TwoCanucks »

From Elway to Marino is awesome. Bth top first overall prospects, repped by same agent, and trials and tribs they went through in the 1983 draft. Oustanding, youtube has the full episode posted just search it.
Amsterdam dreaming.............
angry pirate

Post by angry pirate »

TwoCanucks wrote:From Elway to Marino is awesome. Bth top first overall prospects, repped by same agent, and trials and tribs they went through in the 1983 draft. Oustanding, youtube has the full episode posted just search it.
Yeah, getting Tom Selleck to narrate did no harm either, could listen to him all day. I've kept a few on Sky+, including this. "Broke" was an eye-opener too. :shock: :shock:

Chrisuperfly

Post by Chrisuperfly »

angry pirate wrote:
TwoCanucks wrote:From Elway to Marino is awesome. Bth top first overall prospects, repped by same agent, and trials and tribs they went through in the 1983 draft. Oustanding, youtube has the full episode posted just search it.
Yeah, getting Tom Selleck to narrate did no harm either, could listen to him all day. I've kept a few on Sky+, including this. "Broke" was an eye-opener too. :shock: :shock:
The "Broke" episode was one of the first of these I had ever seen. It's happened to a lot of sports professionals here in MLB, NFL, NBA. And I know these guys make a ton of money, especially if you are a superstar, but the average career for an NFL runningback is something like 3 years so these guys basically have to bank in those 3 years then its done. This is the career path they chose so I can't say I feel sorry for them but, it puts things in perspective.