Should I learn basic Dutch?

Dutch language.
articulomortis

Should I learn basic Dutch?

Post by articulomortis »

I dont want to come across as ignorant to anyone, so should I learn some basic dutch to help me along, or will english do just fine?

If you aint choking, you aint smoking.
gixxer

Post by gixxer »

nearly everyone can speak english m8, you,ll be ok 8)
RIP Lee Rigby

a fallen brother
articulomortis

Post by articulomortis »

Good! 'cos i'm shit at learning languages anyway, nevermind being high as fuck trying to speak a hard language to learn haha
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

well I always think it is polite to learn a few basic phrases when going to a different country, perhaps I'm weird in that regard though :?
vandaag is het begin van de rest van je leven
articulomortis

Post by articulomortis »

Rufus wrote:well I always think it is polite to learn a few basic phrases when going to a different country, perhaps I'm weird in that regard though :?
No see i'm the same, every country i've visited i've always learnt a few phrases to help me along, but (being ignorant) I gathered most of the tourist's would be english, therefore everyone would be english speaking!
Cisco

Post by Cisco »

Rufus wrote:well I always think it is polite to learn a few basic phrases when going to a different country, perhaps I'm weird in that regard though :?
Yeah im with you on that one ! you being weird i mean :shock: :lol: :D only jokin im the same ! i think its only good manners to learn some words even just Thanks , please , good bye !! :wink:
-
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

I agree with your ethos but for Amsterdam I advise against it.

You won't be easily understood unless you understand the pronunciation. Everyone will speak in English back to you.

If you want to learn the culture then I do recommend it. Amazingly close to English.
roker

Post by roker »

wietroker wrote:
You won't be easily understood unless you understand the pronunciation. Everyone will speak in English back to you.
speak for yourself...
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

roker wrote:
wietroker wrote:
speak for yourself...
As a tourist with lousy pronunciation and barely knowing a handful of words, using this in the centre - absolutely 95% of people will speak English back in this situation.

Don't worry, I don't need you to speak for me or anyone else ;)
roker

Post by roker »

wietroker wrote:
As a tourist with lousy pronunciation and barely knowing a handful of words, using this in the centre - absolutely 95% of people will speak English back in this situation.
Absolute nonsense...if that were the case then I wouldn't speak it fluently with hardly an accent...Maybe YOUR pronunciation is not up to scratch, but don't try to say it's the same for everyone...It makes me laugh, some people spend a few months or weeks in Holland and immediately become 'experts' and think they know everything, pontificating and blowing hot air...It's statements like yours that will deter everyone from even trying, I find that plain wrong!

I'm not picking a fight with you, just giving my opinion...
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

roker wrote:
wietroker wrote:
Absolute nonsense...if that were the case then I wouldn't speak it fluently with hardly an accent...Maybe YOUR pronunciation is not up to scratch, but don't try to say it's the same for everyone...It makes me laugh, some people spend a few months or weeks in Holland and immediately become 'experts' and think they know everything, pontificating and blowing hot air...It's statements like yours that will deter everyone from even trying, I find that plain wrong!

I'm not picking a fight with you, just giving my opinion...
Not at all, au contraire mon ami, I encourage people to learn.

But for the average tourist, I still maintain there is little point to it and also fewer opportunities to practice compared to other countries.

What I say is not nonsense at all. Don't assume it is based on my own experience, it is based on the experiences of many with whom I have spoken to. If anything, you should not assume that your own experience is the norm.

lol, now I'm a pontificator, think I know everything and am blowing hot air? Take a look in the mirror mate ;)

Thanks for calling me an expert though ;)

The last line you slipped in there is at total odds with everything you wrote above it.

I'm not picking a fight with you, just giving my opinion... ;)
roker

Post by roker »

Maybe I was a little harsh...we'll have to agree to differ...if somebody asks me whether it's worth learning a little Dutch, I'd say wholeheartedly YES! go for it...
wietroker

Post by wietroker »

roker wrote:Maybe I was a little harsh...we'll have to agree to differ...if somebody asks me whether it's worth learning a little Dutch, I'd say wholeheartedly YES! go for it...
I can understand your enthusiasm though. Don't get me wrong, when I said not to bother, it is not like when most people say "don't bother everyone speaks English".

But I think a more positive experience follows if you go to France and use a few words of French, for example. Rather than Dutch in Amsterdam. Efforts may not be rewarded, relatively speaking.

I agree, learn Dutch. It is a cool language. Maybe you can drop here some essential words to learn for coffeeshop-goers? :) I only know a few and would like to know some myself.
roker

Post by roker »

heb je voor mij een grammetje Silver? have you for me a gram of Silver?

Doe maar een jointje white widow graag...WW joint please

Ik wil dat mijn hoofd ontploft, vijf gram bubble hasj als je blieft...I want my head to explode, 5 grams bubble hash please...

should keep them going for now... :lol:
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

cisco wrote:
Yeah im with you on that one ! you being weird i mean :shock: :lol: :D
Ah Cisco, excuse me, you wanna say that to my face?? :wink: :lol: In fact nah, join the queue lots of people think it :shock: :lol:
vandaag is het begin van de rest van je leven