New York Yankee hats

Dutch language.
Epsilon

New York Yankee hats

Post by Epsilon »

Not really a Dutch Language question as much as a local custom question ...
Throughout the NL,and in the parts of Germany we've visited, it seems that the hat of Choice is a New York Yankees baseball hat . Never seen a Mets hat (NYCs other Baseball team). I'm wondering why the Yankees , and for you other Euro dwellers, is this the cap of choice in your country ? Why ?

DrGonzo

Post by DrGonzo »

We have a group of what we call "Chavs" in the UK. They have a certain dress code and a less than desirable attitude. They all look like potential car thieves to me..... I just don't get why they think they look so good like they do...... anyway, their cap of choice is Burberry..... I'm sure Burberry are cringing at their new found image.

For a light hearted look at "The Chav" chck this site out :-

http://www.chavscum.co.uk
When the going gets weird, the weird get going!
DC

Post by DC »

For the same reason most Man U supporters, don't come from Manchester.....commercial bollox :roll: :lol:
see_delight

Post by see_delight »

DrGonzo wrote:We have a group of what we call "Chavs" in the UK. They have a certain dress code and a less than desirable attitude. They all look like potential car thieves to me..... I just don't get why they think they look so good like they do...... anyway, their cap of choice is Burberry..... I'm sure Burberry are cringing at their new found image.

For a light hearted look at "The Chav" chck this site out :-

http://www.chavscum.co.uk

Mr. Kaio

Post by Mr. Kaio »

Not really a Dutch Language question as much as a local custom question ...
Throughout the NL,and in the parts of Germany we've visited, it seems that the hat of Choice is a New York Yankees baseball hat . Never seen a Mets hat (NYCs other Baseball team). I'm wondering why the Yankees , and for you other Euro dwellers, is this the cap of choice in your country ? Why ?

ehrm...u realy dont know?.....why the crackdealers in the slums all over the world wear micheal jordan tricots?..cuase hes popular hes a symbol for american succes and his tricots all over the world are the cheapest fakes u can find...its the same with new york yankee caps..."new york" and "yankee" are words every damn idiot relates to america and america is cool :wink: ( i bet less then 5% of this caped fools can numerate u more then 2 american baseball teams..its more a knid of fashion) .....furthermore its a nice looking label
Lafe

Post by Lafe »

NY Yankee ball caps are rapidly depreciating in value :-)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10092006/sp ... e_king.htm
McBong

Post by McBong »

You cant beat having a real one bought from NY, a nice fitted cap is real nice to have no adjusting the back to make it fit. I agree its just a fashion thing its the same as burberry, nike, addidas, gucci and so on its just people trying to live a little dream by owning some branded wear.
titus wong

Post by titus wong »

I imagine that it's because the Yankees are the most recognized team around the world in much the same way as the Dallas Cowboys were known as "America's team" in the 80s. Having grown up a Yankees fan, I think the logo itself is pretty sharp against that navy background, so it could be also be an aesthetic choice.*

Never mind that the Yankees are elsewhere reviled in the US for their enormous payroll, which allows them to cherry pick the best players.

* Nowadays, I've switched my allegiance to the Cubs and White Sox.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
StonedSince67

Post by StonedSince67 »

titus wong wrote:* Nowadays, I've switched my allegiance to the Cubs and White Sox.
... Cubs and White Sox ???

a chicago boy asks "How is this possible?"
titus wong

Post by titus wong »

StonedSince'67 wrote:
titus wong wrote:* Nowadays, I've switched my allegiance to the Cubs and White Sox.
... Cubs and White Sox ???

a chicago boy asks "How is this possible?"
Due to my status as a transplanted New Yorker, I arrived on the scene in Chicago very much the interloper. I actually grew away from following baseball as a teenager and then picked it up again later when I was much older, so I don't really share the level of rabid fanaticism native Chicagoans have for their teams. In '05, I must've have watched over 20 Sox games at the Cell b4 they went on to win the WS. As I live on the north side now, I try to slip in as many games at Wrigley as my schedule will allow.

I quite understand your point however. Rooting for both the White Sox and the Cubs in the windy city is somewhat akin to being a bisexual -- nobody quite trusts you in either case. :oops:
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Sombrero

Post by Sombrero »

Last edited by Sombrero on Sun 28th Nov 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

It is as others had said a chav accessory worn by those who wish and pretend to be from the ghetto mainly.
Defeating evil with a thing called love
Twichaldinho

Post by Twichaldinho »

Sir Niall of Essex-sire wrote:It is as others had said a chav accessory worn by those who wish and pretend to be from the ghetto mainly.
Or, people who like hats?
I have a Mariners one, very nice too :wink:
I have about 20 hats though, keeps my hair out my eyes on a windy Scottish day.
Endure
Sir Niall of Essex-sire

Post by Sir Niall of Essex-sire »

Twichaldinho wrote: Or, people who like hats?
I have a Mariners one, very nice too :wink:
I have about 20 hats though, keeps my hair out my eyes on a windy Scottish day.
Thats like saying those Nike air max hats are for people who like hats, they've unfortantly been taken over by Chav culture. Which is ironic as wasnt it originally a skating fashion thing,....
Defeating evil with a thing called love
liquidSwords

Re: New York Yankee hats

Post by liquidSwords »

Epsilon wrote:Not really a Dutch Language question as much as a local custom question ...
Where im from (East London) New York and Yankee's have there own brand of clothing, using the logo from the NY Yankee's teams. I dont think they are connected. New York tracksuits and Yankee's caps was the "in" thing a couple of years ago. Especially around the estates and the people leading a "ganster" lifestyle (and i think they believe that lifestyle originates in the states and possibly New York) And as Sir Niall says, its a symobol of chavism (where do u find the most chav's??? Essex, lol). St
Excuse me while I light my Spliff.....