Heel erg - is het zeer?

Dutch language.
Ste_1

Heel erg - is het zeer?

Post by Ste_1 »

Hallo

Ik ben verward met de woord zeer in engels
i am confused with the word very in english.

ik begrijp zeer in engels is very maar ik hab gezien dat heel erg is ook zeer.
I understand that in english maar is very, i have seen heel erg that is also very.

Kan je hulp?
Can you help?

Dank
Thanks

I tried to write the above without help, the only words I had to check were understand and seen. So apologies if it doesn't make sense!

Thanks Again
S

d3lt4-9

Re: Heel erg - is het zeer?

Post by d3lt4-9 »

"Zeer" is more of a loanword from German if I'm not mistaken. The Dutch generally use "heel" as the word for "very." "Heel erg" is actually an expression meaning "really awful." It could be literally translated to "very terrible" but in the English context that sounds contrived and, well, just not the way English speakers would articulate such a notion.

Incidentally, "erg" also means "very" in Dutch in certain contexts. "Zij is erg populair" means "She is very popular" in English. However, like English and other Germanic languages, Dutch has its share of words which mean different things in different contexts.

I either helped you or confused you even more with this I'm sure, but trust me when I say that the above explanation is correct. I studied Dutch for several years.
EasilySuede

Post by EasilySuede »

Isn't erg more closely related to the English "real"? English uses "real" to mean "very" at times, but erg may have closer ties to the German "echt", as in real or authentic. Please correct me (with the fun-whip!) if I'm wrong.
RvanSteensel

Post by RvanSteensel »

Ik ben verward met de woord zeer in engels
i am confused with the word very in english.

= Ik begrijp het woord zeer niet goed in het engels.

ik begrijp zeer in engels is very maar ik hab gezien dat heel erg is ook zeer.
I understand that in english maar is very, i have seen heel erg that is also very.

= Ik begrijp dat het engelse woord very , in het nederlands zeer of heel erg betekent.

Kan je hulp?
Can you help?
= Kan ik je ergens mee helpen?

Dank
Thanks
= Dankjewel
Relax and take notes , as I take tokes of the marihuana smoke