Learning Dutch is a must!

Dutch language.
DC

Post by DC »

Learning Dutch is a must, is what the heading says...I said no it isn't. You don't have to learn any Dutch to live here, might be nicer if ya did, but it certainly isn't rude not to. In most countries surrounding Holland they speak their own language in business and on TV, they also dub foreign movies with their own language instead of subtitling. Dutch TV is shredded with English, particluarly the movies and advertisements, which is what I was referring to. I'm not makin any argument, I'm stating a fact. English is used here to make lots of money, it's a big part of the economy. When they stop doin this then I'll start learning Dutch more, until then they can whistle. Virtually everybody that comes into work speaks English and those that don't...well, they don't speak Dutch either. There's never been a situation in over 7 years when I've needed to speak Dutch and anytime I've spoke it, they reply in English anyway.

beejun

Post by beejun »

Living 7 years in Holland and not speaking dutch? Damn, shame!
Go on a course.
top 3 strainz : NY Diesel, Amnesia and Cheese.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Ok DC - granted! But now that the Dutch have made it clear they want foreigners who spend a significant time in Holland, to learn Dutch, will you be bothering? or is it more a case of not having time to learn?
... as long as it aint a cheque ;)
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Thu 21st May 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

I love your post mate - you make a good argument, and to be honest I see no flaw in your way of thinking - if anything, you have only said what I was saying but in another way - relly enjoyed reeading that mate!

The argument about learning languages in School - I totally agree with that. We only ever had the choice of French or German when I was a kid - but today I think the secondary schools have more choice (Italian and Spanish have been thrown in too).

I was bought up Bi-Lingual - And learnt Hindi from watching Bollywood cinema - and Urdu from having Pakisatani mates who would take the oppo to diss me in their tongue, just had to learn it... (as I coluldnt take getting dissed in another language then)

I'm glad you agree that if as a Brit you was to spend some part of your life in another country - that you'd take the time to learn the language... and I wholly agree about learning about customs and culture as well as language, It is agreed on that point!
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Thu 21st May 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

I understand where you are coming from - I don't speak any European languages - Only English... And yes, I know how you feel when in Europe.

However I do find that even being polite in English, and respectful - can open more doors when abroad than I thought possible...

Also - Dunno if anyone has read the book "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho - but in this remarkably entertaining and charming little read - The main character Santiago - travels accross Andalusian Spain, crossing over into Arabic Egypt - where at first he doesn't know the language at all, but communicates perfectly with the locals through animated signology and expression. I have actually met someone on my travels who communicated with me in this way and I found it to be totally acceptable and was very endeared to this method of communicating. What's more - I understood not only what I was being told - but something else fell into place aswell... Like I could understand the guys effort and his essence? If that makes any sense? It was wonderful to experience that form of communication - and next time I find myself stuck, I will attempt this method called the "Universal Language/Tongue" as described in the book "The Alchemist"

... Nice bouncing with you Stew1974
DC

Post by DC »

DC wrote:There's never been a situation in over 7 years when I've needed to speak Dutch and anytime I've spoke it, they reply in English anyway.
Beejun, I'll tell what a shame is....getting to your age and still being that dumb. Weed taxi, fags, If you a tourist you don't need to learn it....etc, etc, etc. Go to other countries and both immigrants AND tourists need to know the language because english doesn't work... and that's not english you're speaking anyway, it's wideboy, innit!. :roll:

TD, yeah time, money, a decent course isn't cheap ...and can I ultimately be arsed goin on a course to learn more anyway?....nah. I don't intend spending the rest of my life here, was only meant to be here for a couple of years in the first place. :shock: :lol:
Puffin13 wrote:Learning Dutch is a must!

Everyone living in the Netherlands has to learn Dutch. This is the message of a publicity campaign the Dutch government is about to launch urging foreigners to take their own responsibility.
....Nobody has to do anything because nobody will enforce it. They certainly wont risk the money making the use of english harder, the so called 'smoking' ban proves that.

The move comes amid growing concerns that immigrants don't do enough to learn Dutch. ...I think they're particulary referring to non english speakin immigrants. Or they'd make it harder to speak english too, so far only the tax office has done this and I've never needed to speak to those chaps as my taxes are paid.

A short information film to be frequently aired on television shows several foreigners trying to explain something to a Dutch national - and clearly failing to do so. The subtitled film ends with the caption "real life comes without subtitles", followed by a call to learn Dutch.....I'll laugh if this gets aired on Veronica.

The film aims to show that daily life requires everyone to know Dutch to find work, talk with neighbours and doctors, and raise children. Integration Minister Eberhard van der Laan, who oversees the campaign, emphasises that integration comes with obligations....You can do all these things without knowing Dutch.

Integration Minister Eberhard van der Laan:

Minister Eberhard van der Laan"People who can't make themselves understood in Dutch, should not be surprised if others don't understand them."....Logically true, they shouldn't be surprised, but then they can normally be understood if they speak English, unless yer out in the sticks somewhere.
Learning Dutch is a must.....no it's not. Not an opinion, idea or argument....merely a fact.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

Hey DC - mate aint that always the way? We go for a bit and end up staying lol....

Yeah, in your job you're fine speaking English... I have not yet even heard I guy/gal ask a budtender for bud in another language except in English so yeah mate... Rock On! :D
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Thu 21st May 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chilly1952

Post by chilly1952 »

The situation is very similar in the U.S. Yes, you can get by traveling, as I also do, speaking only English. I feel uncomfortable with the fact that when translations are required it is always for my benefit. I know greetings and a few phrases, (Where is the WC?), in several languages but not enough to really communicate. Stew, you must have some of the same feelings. Especially when our Continental counterpart speaks three or four languages.

The failure is in our education systems. A child’s ability learn languages is remarkable. Our school systems tend to push teaching languages until secondary school when this ability is already waning. Learning a foreign language also trains the brain so that learning other languages is easier. So for the sake of our children, grand children in my case, push your politicians and school boards to introduce foreign language classes in primary schools.
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Thu 21st May 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trichome_Dense

Post by Trichome_Dense »

chilly1952 wrote:The situation is very similar in the U.S. Yes, you can get by traveling, as I also do, speaking only English. I feel uncomfortable with the fact that when translations are required it is always for my benefit. I know greetings and a few phrases, (Where is the WC?), in several languages but not enough to really communicate. Stew, you must have some of the same feelings. Especially when our Continental counterpart speaks three or four languages.

The failure is in our education systems. A child’s ability learn languages is remarkable. Our school systems tend to push teaching languages until secondary school when this ability is already waning. Learning a foreign language also trains the brain so that learning other languages is easier. So for the sake of our children, grand children in my case, push your politicians and school boards to introduce foreign language classes in primary schools.
Was you referring to me? or to other Europeans who are Bi-Tri lingual... Either way I still agree with what you are saying Chilly.

I learnt to speak English and Gujurati as a child and yes, I'd have to agree that it helped me later on in my years to grasp other languages (Hindi/Urdu), And couldn't agree more that Languages should be taught to children at Primary School level. Wouldn't it be wonderful if people from the Uk could travel across Europe and when conversing with say, A Dutch person - the Dutch person speaks in English, and the Brit speaks in Dutch - That would be awesome and mutually gratifying...
beejun

Post by beejun »

DC, before calling me dumb, go and learn some Dutch! You live there!
It shows how narrow-minded you are to claim it is a fact that speaking Dutch is not a must if living in the netherlands.
top 3 strainz : NY Diesel, Amnesia and Cheese.
DC

Post by DC »

DC wrote: anytime I've spoke it,
Maybe 5 times will be enough....maybe. :roll:

I haven't said I don't speak Dutch, just that it isn't a must if you live here. :idea:

To be sung with a Hiho 7 dwarfs tune.....

'Yer dumb, yer dumb, yer dumb de dumb dumb dumb. yer an ass, yer a dick, yer amazingly thick... yer dumb dumb dumb dumb dummmmmmmb' :wink:

Again, you callin me narrow minded is a compliment ....Mind you, I was mistaken before...you don't speak wideboy, it's arse you're fluent in, cos you continually talk shit. Here's a dutch word you should know considering yer the embodiment of it "Klootzak" :P

Now fuk off. 8)