Am I able To Take a Vaporizer Through UK Customs?

kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 06:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneHighMofo

Re: Am I able To Take a Vaporizer Through UK Customs?

Post by OneHighMofo »

I'd certainly agree with you Kingbee under pretty much any other circumstances - or on any other route; taking paraphanelia could definitely lead to the old unwanted finger up the bum.. yes :D

But in these specific circumstances? An obvious stoner heading to (or from) amsterdam… I'm not so sure.

Does taking a vaporiser through customs under those circumstances seem suspect in this instance?
I'd doubt it.

Does it constitute a crime in itself? Definitely not - unless of course it's got a half roasted bowl carelessly left it in by some fecking idiot :)

Is the customs officer likely to believe that said stoner is brave enough to be smuggling anything else (especially large amounts) when carrying paraphernalia? Again, I'd doubt it. That would be a stoner with some cahjonies :)

My take on this is that overall; a vaporiser, especially a reasonably clean one - isn't likely to attract much attention in the first place. Especially when broken down into its constituent parts (if possible) and scattered around in your luggage. All the other good advice about being smartly dressed etc should only (and certainly does - in my direct experience at 3 major airports in the UK) serve to help the potential vape carrying passenger get through with only the mildest of interest (and some eye-rolling).

If it does get spotted - the officer in question is likely to understand the context given the nature of the passengers destination. As carrying a vape definitely isn't illegal - and the Customs Office is imo 100% likely to definitely know that an alcohol swab is only likely to turn up trace elements of any given cannabanoid…

I have to ask myself - why would they bother?
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 06:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

kingbee wrote:
If I was a customs officer, I would think that if someone is daft/outrageous enough to bring used paraphernalia with them, then they might have short-term memory loss, and might have "forgotten" the bag(s) of weed/hash in their jeans pocket, etc
Point taken - and there's definitely a danger of that happening. Although I've never been guilty of it - honest :)
kingbee wrote: With an expensive vapouriser, I'd clean it throughly with isopropyl alcohol, and then say I bought it abroad as a used item from a friend of a friend, that I've never used it personally, and that my intention is to use it with tobacco, damiana and camomile flowers.[quote"]
Agreed.

Perhaps I am too blasé. But I refuse to be bullied into manufactured consent by the powers that be. I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong and my attitude when faced with unwarranted authority is polite but respectful defiance. I've found customs officers surprisingly easy going at such times - but you're right to be cautious; they're not all so easy going I'm sure. As you say - body language has a huge amount of impact on the situation - I always feel calm and have a smile.

Anyway. All this big talk coupled with Sod's law means that my next trip is increasingly likely to end with a confiscated mighty and a sore arsehole.
I'll quit while I'm ahead :)

Each to their own -but I refuse to be bullied into posting an electronic device by a fascist state ;)
Such an attitude works for me. But I'll probably stay away from flights to or through the UAE - best not get too cocky :)
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 06:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneHighMofo

Post by OneHighMofo »

kingbee wrote:I'd also avoid Thailand then if that's the case ;)
Noted - cheers ;)
Quazer

Post by Quazer »

OneHighMofo wrote:Perhaps I am too blasé. But I refuse to be bullied into manufactured consent by the powers that be. I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong and my attitude when faced with unwarranted authority is polite but respectful defiance.
Well said! While it's of course the safest and most reasonable to be 100% low key, your approach will eventually lead to more positive results imo. In other words, we hardly will change anything by hiding.