B.C. pot activist arrested in extradition bid

Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

Police raided a marijuana seed store run by the B.C. Marijuana Party leader in Vancouver Friday, at the request of U.S. authorities in Seattle.

In connection with the 11 a.m. raid, Greg Williams a.k.a. "Marijuana Man" was arrested at the store, Michele Rainey at her Vancouver home and high-profile B.C. Marijuana Party leader Marc Emery was picked up in Nova Scotia while attending "Hempfest 2005."

U.S. officials are accusing the trio of growing marijuana, distributing marijuana seeds and conspiring to engage in money laundering, following an 18-month investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

Emery runs a mail-order website that distributes marijuana seeds to clients in a variety of countries, including the United States.

At a news conference in Seattle, U.S. authorities announced they've asked for Emery to be extradited to the U.S. to face drug charges.

Seattle DEA Special Agent Rod Benson said that Emery displayed an "overwhelming arrogance and abuse of the rule of law."

"The message here is clear," Benson said. "Those engaged in the cultivation, and trafficking of illegal drugs will eventually pay a steep price."

The price of a conviction could carry a sentence ranging from 10 years to life in prison.

Chief of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office Jeff Sullivan said the charges are based on what Emery allegedly does in the U.S. and not what he does in Canada.

Vancouver Constable Howard Chow said Canadian law enforcement was approached by the DEA to aid in the investigation.

"The DEA came to us about a year ago surrounding Marc Emery and asked for our assistance in the criminal investigation that had to do with trafficking a controlled substance," Chow told CTV.ca News. "It's an ongoing investigation. There may be further charges that come out of this.

Emery's site has been operating for more than five years with no action being taken until today.

"It just comes in terms of resources and priority. We get information and we act on it and we deal with it at that time," Chow said.

"You can expect that anybody who engages in criminal activity on a high profile, such as Marc Emery does -- you're not going to expect to do it forever before you have to account for your actions."

Known as "The Prince of Pot", the leader of the B.C. Marijuana Party has been a vocal advocate for the legalization of marijuana.

In 1994, Emery opened a Vancouver-based store called Hemp BC selling marijuana paraphernalia. Police raided his store in 1996 and again in 1998, confiscating his entire stock.

After those raids, Emery opened the mail-order business selling the seeds. He also publishes "Cannabis Culture" magazine and runs "Pot TV" on the Internet.

He ran for mayor of the city of Vancouver in 1996 and again in 2002, coming in fifth place.

In 2004, Emery served a 90-day sentence in a Saskatoon jail for passing a marijuana joint.

Party spokesperson Kirk Tousaw said he had not spoken to Emery since the raid.

"I can express a pretty significant disappointment that police would choose to go this route to go after Marc and others who have been operating there for years with no harm to anyone," Tousaw told CTV.ca News.

"The timing stinks. They do it on Friday so that they can keep you in jail the maximum amount of time before you can be released on bail," said Tousaw.

Emery's operation on West Hastings houses a hemp shop, a book store, the headquarters for PotTV and the operations behind an Internet-based seeds sales company.

According to police, Emery's seed business rakes in about $3 million a year.

Source: CTV News

Source

THE DRUG WAR SUCKS!!!

Cannabis is The Tree of Life
sh@dy

Post by sh@dy »

isnt this and old news?
Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

:oops: OMG! It is old news! I read it as though they were re-arrested. :oops: My bad. Sorry 'bout that. Thanks for catching that, sh@dy.
NirvanaEJ

Post by NirvanaEJ »

:lol: yeah thats what i was going to ask when it said they arrested Marc Emery at "Hempfest 2005"
If it wasnt for the brits, ID BE DUTCH RIGHT NOW
Bernum

Post by Bernum »

so 3 years later, does anyone know if he got charged and sentenced?
He was in Super High Me which i'm pretty sure was made last year and he seemed pretty free to me......maybe he is just awaiting trial.....?
cobweb1989

Post by cobweb1989 »

so pissed off about this happening to the Mark "prince of pot" Emery.

however it explains why he hasn't posted anything on his youtube channel for some time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PotTV
Pick it, Pack it, Fire it up, come along.
NirvanaEJ

Post by NirvanaEJ »

Bernum wrote:so 3 years later, does anyone know if he got charged and sentenced?
He was in Super High Me which i'm pretty sure was made last year and he seemed pretty free to me......maybe he is just awaiting trial.....?
i am not certain, but i believe he agreed to a sentence in canadian prison in exchange for the release of two of his cohorts, one of which has a disease and wouldnt get appropriate care in prison. but i dont remember where i saw this or have a source, just what i heard.
BigRigRob

Post by BigRigRob »

Marks wife Jodie ( a stoned fox ) still runs their site,
http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forum ... p?ubb=cfrm
"Stoners... the only thing that bakes at room temperature..."
NirvanaEJ

Post by NirvanaEJ »

i really hope he is not extradited it would be the rape and murder of justice....
Puffin13

Post by Puffin13 »

BigRigRob wrote:Marks wife Jodie ( a stoned fox )
I, too, think she is an awesome babe. :shock: What wouldnt I give for a night with her. :P
NirvanaEJ

Post by NirvanaEJ »

wheres her pic?