de Overkant Hortus

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Overkant Hortus

I like Overkant Hortus
81%
I don't like Overkant Hortus
19%

Total votes: 27

scooberu

de Overkant Hortus

Post by scooberu »

ACD page: https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/OverkantH.html

have heard mixed reviews about this place. thought I'd put it too the experts. any one been? is the best way to get there to walk from the bluebird down jodenbreestraat?

lctricity

Re: de overkant hortus

Post by lctricity »

scooberu wrote:have heard mixed reviews about this place. thought I'd put it too the experts. any one been? is the best way to get there to walk from the bluebird down jodenbreestraat?
My experience with Overkant Hortus, and it's sister shop Theehuis in Haarlem, have been nothing but stellar.

Great service and great products, with even better deals if you want 5g.

Check out the Diamond Top Moroccan Hash. Very sweet and soft. Exactly like fresh Moroccan should be. I can't recommend anything on the weed menu as I haven't tried it. Then again I seldom buy weed over Hash while in The Dam.

In terms of the "best" way to get there. It really depends where you're coming from.

If you're coming from Niuewmarkt then the Bluebird route would suffice. If you're able to get on the Tram take Tram 9-14 from Centraal to one stop after the Waterlooplein stop going South.

Goed Luck!
Max Flower

Re: de overkant hortus

Post by Max Flower »

lctricity wrote: Check out the Diamond Top Moroccan Hash. Very sweet and soft. Exactly like fresh Moroccan should be. I can't recommend anything on the weed menu as I haven't tried it. Then again I seldom buy weed over Hash while in The Dam.
Goed Luck!
Listen to Lctricity he speaketh the truth. This was my nieghborhood shop last year and I frequented it quite a bit. The Diamond top was also my favorite hasj as well. Ohhh so sweet. Very nice folks in there too. Click here for map There are great three for two deals here.
Keep in mind there's no seating so its only good for a quick stop.

Hortus has quite the extensive menu over 15 kinds of hash check out the menu photos below, Pics are from Fly BY Nights ( god love him) menu site.

pic 1
pic
here
3 for 2 deals
pic
Enjoy,

Max Flower
Last edited by Max Flower on Sat 15th Oct 2005 03:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bran

Post by bran »

Hello,

We spent time at the end of afternoon with friends in October 2004, and taste the Nepal Hash which was really great stuff.. Staff very kind : having big laugh about our frenchy english the seller don't understand ;)

Nice coffee too , i guess they have an expresso engine .. I'll go back in this shop to verify ;)) i ilke expresso coffee , very dark and in Holland it's hard to find this kind of coffee..

Thanks for the photos : i see they have purplle haze i never test this strain, i'm looking for (you know.. the legend ;))) i'm a romantic guy ;) )..

bye
Valo

Post by Valo »

A nice shop to stop off and have a quick smoke, but after a couple of hours of smoking and a lot of walking over a few days, I would have liked a have had a seat.

I knew full well what I was expecting though and thought it was a pretty cool place with a friendly dealer and some good weed (although I cannot remember the name)
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
commie

Post by commie »

After walking all the freaking way down the Heren trying to find it, I was really bummed out that they had no seating. I vote Nay.

I LIKE the thee huis, though.......
"It's right to rebel"----Mao Zedong
Valo

Post by Valo »

commie wrote:After walking all the freaking way down the Heren trying to find it, I was really bummed out that they had no seating. I vote Nay.

I LIKE the thee huis, though.......
If you had read reviews on this site beforehand, it would not have been a wasted journey :D
~ Is that a grinder in your pocket? ~
upahill_chris

Post by upahill_chris »

Nice shop...perfect for a quick smoke before vititing the Botanical gardens over the road.

Bought some Mega White Ting !.... was very white indeed. Nice to have a look at it under their microscope too. Pretty decent buds at a good price.

Quite enjoyed standing for a quick one...didn't miss being sat down.
courtjester

Post by courtjester »

For everyone's information, the 3-for-2 and Big Bag specials once famous at De Overkant Hortus are, alas, a thing of the past. The budtender says they compensated with cheaper deals on single grams, which is true, but I'm always in search of multi-gram deals, and there are none here.

As mentioned, there also is no seating, but it was kind of nice to stand around and smoke a joint. Good God, we certainly don't do any walking in freaking Amsterdam, after all.

That said, the Super Skunk (1g/E6.50) was quite tasty, and if I happened to be walking by again, I'd probably pop in the place for another smoke.
TrippingOverGod

Post by TrippingOverGod »

I have a confession to make - I've been smoking fairly regularly for 6 years now, and I can't roll. Shocking, I know - it's just there's always someone else with me who can and I haven't yet bothered to learn in my own time.

However, it does mean that on my current trip to Amsterdam - for the first time without smoking buddies - I've had to resort to buying pre-rolled spliffs, and it's been a rude awakening into how much these places will rip you off.

I posted in here, though, because Overkant Hortus - a shop I never really thought much of before - has really impressed me with theirs. Unlike other shops (which shall remain nameless until the end of this post) these guys don't screw around - they sell quality joints, well rolled and large too. Had to respect them for this.

As for the others, Greenhouse Namaste sold me basically just tobacco, De Kuil did the same but slightly better and Grey Area sold me a pure one that was a chore to smoke and didn't do much anyway.

This experience has at least taught me to finally learn how to do it, but I think it's a shame that so many shops seem to take a very elitist view on this - just because I'm buying a pre-roll, doesn't mean I'm a complete novice.

Once again, a big thumbs up to Overkant.
stew1974

Post by stew1974 »

/o
Last edited by stew1974 on Wed 20th May 2009 01:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grrl_Interrupted

Post by Grrl_Interrupted »

Bought a g of the Mazzeltov, a very goos moke, slightly hashplanty.

Shame about the lack of seating. The guy in there was lovely, though, and we were impressed with the weed. Very attractive prices compared to Centrum, too, of course.
petewithers

Post by petewithers »

Have to agree with most people here: decent weed and a really nice guy running the place, but yeah really a 'buy and go' type CS or maybe for a quick J and a cup of tea due to lack of seating. Always a stop off of mine before the zoo and once on a slightly ill-advised solo trip to the 'dam I spilt my tea all over the floor and just jibbered zombie-like at the guy and he was still ok with me (I did apologise later, of course!). Top marks.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Cant beleive this is liked!
Dropped in on reccomendations never again. Budtender tried the old sell the tourist the shit weed trick. I showed him my bulging pockets of quality bud. He was devastated realising i was willing to spend serious cash he tried to win me back over. I left and will never return even if it was the last CS left in the dam.
I rate this alongside The bulldog and Grasshopper shops! POO
geoffk

Post by geoffk »

That's too bad. Even though Theehuis (sister shop) was cramped with uncomfortable, we picked up some nice Orange Bud. Which was stronger than the Shiva we got at WW.