Massawa

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate Massawa

I like Massawa
89%
I don't like Massawa
11%

Total votes: 9

Crapulinski

Re: Massawa

Post by Crapulinski »

Last edited by Crapulinski on Wed 29th Jan 2020 01:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

This week:

On that recent hashish rampage it was time for another inspection round in the area since haven't been on my visit the other day.

Also there was a bit of a chance some moroccan shops are indeed closed down during Ramadan so I don't get into trouble when missing some but was pleased I found all of them to be open(that beside owning a coffeeshop in this context is what I call a straight line then :lol: ) but particulary more quiet than usual ; though maybe that had to do with the excellent weather :) .
While lots of shops in the centre were packed.
Second time here and same older guy which seemed to be the owner if I remember correctly again was showing me his wares proudly.
Dark Primera(10/g)was nice looking but opted for the sort of blondish Royal(12€/g).
Again like last time it was classic moroccan goodness. Still I can't decide if it's 'better' than best from El Marssa on the same day. Déjà-vu as they're still playing in the same league ; personal opinion I guess.

Mob probably wants a winner though so just out of my strong sense of justice I declare this Royal to the winner of that trip when it comes to classic gear(next time guess what is it then, balance and all that).
Crapulinski

Post by Crapulinski »

Last edited by Crapulinski on Wed 29th Jan 2020 01:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoMoney

Post by RoMoney »

Great coffeeshop, tried the Royal as it was recommended, nice heavy stoned off it after a few pipes. The coffee, like the hash, tasted exactly like it does in Morocco, there was some dodgy arab pop music playing and the customers seemed to be all local Moroccans and Somalis. If it wasn't for the younger guys speaking Dutch you could easily feel like you were in a cafe in Tangiers.

Really enjoyed the vibe so went back again a few days later and took some more of the royal. Wouldn't float all boats, but it floated mine :mrgreen:
Bring back Imelda Marcos!
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

December, 2018:

Looked at a couple of items and decided for the Royal(12€/)which was the best moroccan hashish of that trip with classic lineage of that type ; rich taste of ginger, somewhat orangy and all that with a nice enough body stoned.
Billyjoe

Post by Billyjoe »

Jesscass wrote: Tue 8th Jan 2019 06:50 am December, 2018:

Looked at a couple of items and decided for the Royal(12€/)which was the best moroccan hashish of that trip with classic lineage of that type ; rich taste of ginger, somewhat orangy and all that with a nice enough body stoned.
Hello Jesscass,

was it better than super tbizla from Dampkring ?
Jesscass

New Year's Speech / Comparative Study 2019, Part II

Post by Jesscass »

Intro:

So for some reasons but mostly out of boredom I took a closer look at the quality of the more popular shops of this area. Since I discovered El Marssa myself years ago and us going regularly anyway it was a no brainer going there as well as specifically visiting Massawa here which is a tad less frequented by us but still a place to go.
Let's compare them was one mission in 2019 then.

However, we've been at least five times to Amsterdam in 2019 and every time the quality of Massawa's best was I'd at least describe as 'good'. Now this is a vacuous term of course and for sure I'm not the hub of the universe but I claim I've seen some hashish in my life yet and considering time gone by and status quo of qualities available in general traditional/foreign genetics)this means something and would satisfy the majority of people consuming traditional hashish. Still there is always room for improvement so if there is not much to be desired I'd describe quality here for this private and subjective comparative study as 'very good' then(needless to say there is still better quality to be had but that is no subject here).

Conclusion:

In 3/5 visits quality was 'good' and in 2/5 visits it was 'very good'. Means constant quality available to me then here ; their best, 'Royal' at 12 €/g, is similar to El Marssa's best(12€/g) in appearance but different in taste, often more spicy undertones as well as nutty ones to some degree and so a tad more exclusive in taste. Still they both play in the same league qualitywise but are good on their own as said before. It seems Massawa is a touch less constant in quality but taking a closer look this again only means ranging between good to very good quality which is just great as there was no complete failure(let alone many other shops just carrying subpar standard gear) on those five visits at both shops(which can happen everywhere).
Again, a good place to look for stereotype good moroccan hashish! Exclusive or exceptional gear(beyond 'very good') is to be found elsewhere though as usual.
FlyByNite

Post by FlyByNite »

New menu for Massawa dated August 29, 2022. Thanks to Ben.

http://www.coffeeshopmenus.org/Massawa/ ... ssawa.html

Enjoy
FlyByNite