Taverne Oasis (Groningen)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Do you like Oasis?

Yes, I like Oasis
100%
No, I don't like Oasis
No votes

Total votes: 5

Spacefunk

Taverne Oasis (Groningen)

Post by Spacefunk »

ACD Page: Taverne Oasis

Rarely do (cannabis) visitors to the Netherlands (apart from Northwestern Germany) make the trip to Groningen, which may be a bit of a shame. With something like 35-50% of its population being students at any given time, it's really a youthful and vibrant city with a much more laid-back, welcoming feel, as opposed to Amsterdam's relative hostility in some cases. We've got 13 or 14 coffeeshops (not sure) which almost all allow smoking tobacco (even cigarettes in plain sight) and many bars are very open towards smoking weed inside.

Nevertheless, I have seen a few posts (and comments on the guide) listing Oasis as one of the highlights of their trips to the Netherlands, singling out this establishment as one of the best across the country.

I couldn't agree more; it's pretty small, but most Groningen coffeeshops are - and rarely is it so full you won't find a seat. As opposed to most of Groningen's coffeeshops, which have no windows or very obscure windows to the street, Oasis resembles a classy cafe (much more akin to, for instance, Amnesia, De Dampkring, Siberie etc. from Amsterdam). Many Groningen coffeeshops have a kind of den-like, dive feel to them where your smoking is kept in secret. Why shouldn't you be staring at the sunshine through a glass window, enjoying your spliff and not giving a fuck if the grannies can see you through the window? In Holland, I don't want to have to hide my weed-smoking.

Either way, I digress: Oasis. They have about 20-25 seats I guess, with a few tables scattered around and a bar. Chillums, bongs and grinders are available to borrow free of any kind of deposit; there is also wireless internet. The decor is very chilled and cafe-like with occasionally changing paintings and graffiti adorning the walls.

The smoke is sold pre-bagged in bags of 5e or 12,5e (except some specials - there will be expensive weed and hash specials sold by the gram, that get slightly cheaper as you buy more - 1 gram extra usually drops off 0.5-1€ from the final price, so really you're only getting 3 grams for 10€/g instead of 1g for 11€/g). They typically stock about 6-8 different types of weed and 4-7 kinds of hash, all usually top quality. The hashes follow the usual price range of 5€ Maroc to 11€ Nepalese. Weed goes for 8.70-12€/gram (they have really funny decimal prices, like 9.10€/g - why not just 9€?).

By Groninger standards, this is reasonably expensive, but the upper half of the Oasis menu will usually blow everything every other coffeeshop save for one or two have on offer out of the water. Also, on Fridays and Saturdays they've got a promotion of 3x5€ for 12.50€, or alternatively 1x5€ + 1x 12.50€ for 15€. You save the same 2.50€, but the big bags I find nicer, especially when the whole 1.3g or so is one big bud. :P According to my calculations, buying on Friday/Saturday pulls Oasis prices below the Groningen average, so you get the best bud in town for cheaper than most other shops (which is why I usually stock up on Fri/Sat - there's no limit to how many times you can take the offer, you can take 12x5€ bags if you want for 50€.

Music changes by the budtender in charge, but it varies from classic rock, psychedelic rock, occasional hard rock/metal, psychedelic trance/psybient, obligatory reggae, trip hop... I've heard the greatest variety (and also the most stoner-friendly) music here in all of Groningen.

HIGHLY recommended! Also, ask the budtenders - they won't talk shit, I was told by a budtender not to buy a big bag of something (that would have brought in 12,5€) but two small bags of another instead (10€) because he'd seen me smoke before and the one in the big bag I might find a bit lacking in potency. :mrgreen:

Some strains that have shown up recently/often:
WEED
Afghan x K2
Snow White
White Widow
Bubble Gum
Silver Haze
Amnesia Haze
Choco Haze
Shiva
Shiva Shanti
Orange Bud
Big Buddha Cheese
Sour Diesel

HASH
Moroccan
Yellow Lebanese
Afghan Kabul (10€ Afghan, nothing like the 5€ squidge, has a stoney, dopey high reminiscent of the royal family of dark hashes: Temple Balls, Malana Cream)
Temple Balls
Zero Zero
Last edited by Spacefunk on Sat 17th Dec 2011 06:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Müller

Re: Taverne Oasis (Groningen)

Post by Müller »

Agree, top shop!
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

Last week:

Once you entered you immediately realise you kinda stepped out of time as it's such a warm and relaxed atmosphere. I heard years before about this shop and I can see now what all the fuss is about :D .
I think it's this mix of friendly staff, adequate music(heard Jazz in there), mutual respect and quality gear making such places unique. One of the few places with character like for example De Graal in Amsterdam or Toermalijn in Tilburg just to give you an idea. Only letdown is this shop is quite small(you can compare size to Voyagers in Amsterdam)and I was told since about two months there is this stupid glass wall because of the smoking ban. Such installments kill those types of shops. Hope this place not changes much in the future due to this crap as it's quite busy but never felt much of a rush going on there on the other hand. Not to forget you can sit outside on the patio in front of the shop in summer! Shop opens everyday from 12-7PM and is closed on sundays which says a lot about philosophy of this place in my humble opinion :) !
Of course I had to return here everyday.

Mostly two bags available, specials only by gram(about ten when it comes to weed, about eight when it comes to hashish. Parvati as their priciest black for like 12,5€ comes to mind by the way).
Afghan Kabul(9,20€/g): only went for it as a first smoke of the day because of the price and look of this soft hash. Also I thought it's one of those good batches going around lately(had nice Afghan hash in The Hague and Arnhem this year, both with the same name tag. Of course this doesn't mean anything but shit as usual but hope dies last sometimes :twisted: :lol: !). Unfortunately it did not much for me. Definitely was no cheap border crap but smell was unfamilier minty. Good stuff I tried before was something else than this.
Spoetnik(blonde moroccan, 10€/g):classic tasting and powerful smoke, more on the stoney side. Recommended.
Crystal White: recommendation of the budtender which was nothing special but nice enough.
Kush(special offer, about 12€/g): forgot about the strain but was clearly smelling and tasting like kush. Nice enough stone as well.
Cru(, special offer, blonde Moroccan, 11,50€/g): reminded me a lot of Tbisla(12€/g) from Tweede Kamer in Amsterdam which is nice and all that but prefered the Spoetnik from here.
K2 Afghan(weed, about 10€/g): One of the few batches I came across in the last years I rate highly. Very nice cure(not bone dry), smell(lemon)and stone. Taste was earthy and lemonlike and clearly tranfered from smell. Pretty much reminded me of some organic homegrown Mazar I was lucky to have a constant supply of for some years(according to similar genetics of both this would be possible). So most probably quite biased here but apart from that really a prime example for outstanding weed in the last years. Next day I wanted to pick up more and it was sold out of course.

Forgot about one other weed and also went for their Zero(moroccan, about 9€/g)which both were nice enough.
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

July, 2016:

Of course also went here everyday but didn't buy much due to very similar menu like last time. Made it our first stop of the trip and had my first smoke here after a consume break of two weeks prior(always do this for holidays as want to judge strains proper strengthwise; before that didn't smoke much too as am an occassional consumer anyway)and it did me good like last time! Unfortunately not hard hitting enough but what else do I expect from moroccan hashish :lol: ? Agree on 'diep stoned' written on the menu and like that moroccan grade, lovely!
Also had 'Zweef'(12€/g, didn't read that word since ages, 'Skuff')which was nothing special, some what ever it was called Kush(about 11-12€/g)and Santa Maria(around 9€/g) as an other house strain(about 8€/g?) recommended by the budtenders.
All were good enough but rather grotty looking buds. They say their stuff is organic grown and it
does the trick tastewise but not that impressive from look. Bet organic just means 'soil grown' which
I often thought when it comes to coffeeshop weed of the last years :evil: :lol: .
Nonetheless I again had a nice time here and sat on the patio which was the only reason returning to
Groningen. Mission completed :mrgreen: . By the way there is a nice place to have a bite down the road, http://www.cafetariafrietvanpiet.nl/ .
( from: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31514&p=396556#p396556 )
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

September, 2017:

Bummer Tropicana was crossed out on the menu,
also much to the regret of young budtendress who tried to sell some other moroccan to me. No compromise though this time so got some as usual scraggy and ugly looking wiet from them. Some people seem to fail growing some organic wiet, been there, done that and result was a lot better than this, oh my. Anyways, New York City Diesel(about 12€/g) it was and still a fruity, sour smoke with not much of a high. Nice enough still.
Apart from that a wonderful stay.
(from: https://www.coffeeshopdirect.com/forum/v ... 10&t=31514 )
Kay Noosh

Post by Kay Noosh »

I was here in September 2017. Very nice budtendress, we talked and I got good advice from her. I got Jack Herer (which was quite usual) and Killing Fields Outdoor (which I really liked!). Good that they sell 5€ bags for testing - I don't need much, so that's plenty for me anyway :-) Overall, I felt very welcome and safe, and I would come here again.
"God's herb, puts you in the moment. Smoke a little and let it do its thing!" (H. Diltz)
kingbee

Post by kingbee »

Last edited by kingbee on Fri 3rd Jan 2020 09:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FODSmith

Post by FODSmith »

Impressive. And I've wanted to visit Groningen for ages...
Kay Noosh

Post by Kay Noosh »

* They sell packages for 6/12/24€
* very nice staff & cafe
* they appreciate your personal visit and want to point out that the menu changes very often, don‘t expect to get the same stuff some weeks later, but they „always have best quality“. From my own experiences and everything I heard they are right :) Best coffee shop in Groningen.

on the menu on Jan 17 (with some very creative descriptions that I leave out here):
Weed:
Santa Maria 10,20 €/g
Kabouter 10,10 €/g
Green White 11 €/g
Sneeuwwitje 10,20 €/g
Repelsteelt 10,40 €/g
Swizz Cheese 11,80 €/g
Critical Jack 10,40 €/g
AMG 12 €/g
Indigo 12,50 €/g
Pineapple Haze 12,30 €/g
Hash:
Huismarok 6 €/g
Zero 9,90 €/g
Spoetnik 10,50 €/g
Zweef 10,50 €/g
AFG Kaboul 9,50 €/g
Cru 12 €/g
Nepal 11,50 €/g
Tropicana 13 €/g
Kashmir Rub 13,50 €/g
"God's herb, puts you in the moment. Smoke a little and let it do its thing!" (H. Diltz)