The Plug (formerly Utopia)

Comments on specific shops. Use search to find the topic for a shop.

Rate The Plug (formerly Utopia)

I like The Plug
90%
I don't like The Plug
10%

Total votes: 269

Fat_old_dwarf

Re: Utopia

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Yes. I know that now. Anyway, latest menu:

notsofasteddie

Post by notsofasteddie »

What about the other coffeeshops - De Kuil, Resin, Mediterrané, De Kroon 2, and El Guapo - that were impacted by the presence of the school? Are their hours no longer restricted?

Any chance that some other coffeeshops will reopen. If I remember correctly, Abraxas Too on Spuistraat and Anyday on Korte Kolksteeg were closed due to their proximity to a school. Was it the same school or a different one?
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

free_phil_spector wrote: Thu 13th Jul 2017 12:17 am
Not_the_monk wrote: Thu 13th Jul 2017 12:07 am Image
:lol: It certainly does feel like some kind of triumph against 'the system' after what must be four or five years of battling utter fucken madness. The weed pass, the school rule... we beat them all :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now all we need is Nel back :wtf: 8) 8) :mrgreen:
While I appreciate Utopia isn't closed yet I disagree about your 'kind of triumph' as damn Wietpas is still in effect mostly in provinces like Noord Brabant, Zeeland and parts of Limburg(as others I perhaps forgot). Also the school rule is still active and lots of others had to close(Anyday, De Graal et cetera).

So I strongly recommend to think outside the box :evil: :lol: .
gromit

Post by gromit »

sounds like you just need a little bit of courage,...

the fight continues,... :P
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Jesscass wrote: Thu 13th Jul 2017 03:56 pm
Not_the_monk wrote: Thu 13th Jul 2017 12:07 am Image
:lol: It certainly does feel like some kind of triumph against 'the system' after what must be four or five years of battling utter fucken madness. The weed pass, the school rule... we beat them all :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

While I appreciate Utopia isn't closed yet I disagree about your 'kind of triumph' as damn Wietpas is still in effect mostly in provinces like Noord Brabant, Zeeland and parts of Limburg(as others I perhaps forgot). Also the school rule is still active and lots of others had to close(Anyday, De Graal et cetera).

Have to agree on that, it's sick to think of the other shops that had to close in that area like, homegrown, Anyday (biggest loss) and Betty's, as for wietpas tbh that was a fail as most drug tourists go damage with the odd adventurer tripping to haarlem, that border shite was for the Germans :wink: :lol:
Jesscass

Post by Jesscass »

Kermit wrote: Fri 14th Jul 2017 11:32 am
Jesscass wrote: Thu 13th Jul 2017 03:56 pm

Have to agree on that, it's sick to think of the other shops that had to close in that area like, homegrown, Anyday (biggest loss) and Betty's, as for wietpas tbh that was a fail as most drug tourists go damage with the odd adventurer tripping to haarlem, that border shite was for the Germans :wink: :lol:
The Wietpas / I-Criteria(still in effect as said) is about mass tourism regarding coffeeshops from bordering countries like Belgium(Limburg/Gelderland I assume mostly), Germany(Limburg/Gelderland I assume mostly)and France(Zeeland/Limburg I assume mostly).
Especially France and Germany were pressuring Nederland a lot during recent decades(which the average tourist going to Dam probably isn't aware of)to get rid of their coffeeshop approach, also the country in itsself went more conservative and those in power in several provinces were fishing for votes. Easy target.
Though that tourism indeed caused a bit of trouble regarding nuisance. Still a lot of pretence and lies involved on every side.
BlahBlahBlah. Long story discussed a lot on here.

@Gromit

Funny. For your information: dutchmen should fight for themselves. See above.
Fat_old_dwarf

Post by Fat_old_dwarf »

Jesscass wrote: Fri 14th Jul 2017 01:57 pmEspecially France and Germany were pressuring Nederland a lot during recent decades(which the average tourist going to Dam probably isn't aware of)to get rid of their coffeeshop approach, also the country in itsself went more conservative and those in power in several provinces were fishing for votes. Easy target.
Though that tourism indeed caused a bit of trouble regarding nuisance. Still a lot of pretence and lies involved on every side.
BlahBlahBlah. Long story discussed a lot on here.
I don't know about the average tourist, but I'm certainly aware of it. The Dutch aren't really all that liberal, but they are eminently practical. When coffeeshops were first being allowed, they classed cannabis as a minor and probably eradicable vice, like prostitution, so why not try to control and make money out of it? They probably assumed other countries would follow suit at some point. Of course, we all know that didn't happen, and until the recent changes in various US states, it looked like the decriminalisation/legalisation tide had been pretty much stopped.
free_phil_spector

Post by free_phil_spector »

To clarify, when I wrote "some kind of triumph" I was referring purely to Utopia. As it's, like, ya know, the Utopia thread and that :roll: 8)
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
mad evo

Post by mad evo »

I'll be in Amsterdam next week. Sorry I'm not up to speed with all the latest, just read through last few pages on here and it seems Utopia is now open in the morning again as of now rather than 6pm on weekdays?

Could someone please confirm what their opening hours are now. I would love to be able to hit this place up early as possible. Wonder if it opens at 7am?
free_phil_spector

mad evo wrote: Sat 15th Jul 2017 01:25 pmCould someone please confirm what their opening hours are now.
As of this coming Saturday their opening hours will be 9am to 1am seven days a week
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate - it takes guts to be gentle and kind...
Nuggz

Post by Nuggz »

free_phil_spector wrote: Thu 20th Jul 2017 10:27 am
mad evo wrote: Sat 15th Jul 2017 01:25 pmCould someone please confirm what their opening hours are now.
As of this coming Saturday their opening hours will be 9am to 1am seven days a week
Dude you're local canal side or bust 8) :wink: :-P
mad evo

Post by mad evo »

free_phil_spector wrote: Thu 20th Jul 2017 10:27 am

Perfect, thanks for confirming this.
CopenhagenCouple

Post by CopenhagenCouple »

Utopia is still at the very top for over all performance, best service in the city, good green and a very well curated hash selection. Caramello is very solid, but Crystal Polm is even better and great value. One of the best classic Moroccans so far, tied with just one or two others for top ranking taste wise..! :mrgreen:
Always know where your towel is! :wtf: :lol:
Shufflepop

Post by Shufflepop »

Got in here ten mins before closing a bit the worse for wear. The 2 lads were sound and put up with me.

GG4 was great. Some Tangie derivative was probably great as well, bit hazy. Stand out was Kandy Kush ice. I know it's expensive but it tastes great and hits like a train imo. It's also practically liquid at room temp. Can't see it being easy to roll a j with if that's your thang.
free_phil_spector

Mango kush. As fruity as an orchard :thumbup: